Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
sslur56

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Stainless Works Cat Back

I am removing my Stainless Works Catback and putting it up for sale if anyone is interested. It is the model# CA16RVCB, dual mode NPP with AFM valve delete.

I am removing this system because it has a very annoying drone at highway cruising speeds. I have a 6spd manual and from some of the research I've done on the forums, it appears the drone issue is not nearly as bad for the Autos as it is for the 6spd. I can only assume the Auto shifts thru the "drone mode" rpm band which is approximately 1500 to 2200 with the motor under load.

I am willing to sell it fairly cheap, as I'm at a compete loss. Stainless Works was not willing to take a return. I think they are in denial their system drones as bad as it does with the 6spd. I measured a 5db increase when droning compared to hard acceleration in tour mode using a phone app. Not exactly scientific, but fairly substantial that the drone is that much louder than hard acceleration.
sslur56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Damn that sucks. Is it only the drone that you are annoyed with? What about Stealth/Tour, does it drone too? If you are happy with the sound and just want to cut the drone out, install J-pipes.

My exhaust guy did it for $100 and it eliminated 80-90% of the drone. My system droned at 2k rpm so my J-pipe is 26" long.

More info here
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=102075&page=3
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
sslur56

Thanks RichardOnee. The J Pipe looks like a good fix for the drone. I have placed the Engine Sound setting to always be in Tour mode, otherwise the system is excessively loud magnifying the drone. That leads me to my other issue, particularly how loud the system is when in Tour mode. I was hoping a Mild to Wild difference, but its more like "Wild" to "Really Wild" between the two modes. I daily drive the car and need to take business phone calls often while driving and this system is not conducive for that.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:22 AM   #4
16silverSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 2ss A8
I just installed my Stainless works npp exhaust yesterday. I have the Auto and on the highway you get a little drone but it's not bad. If it starts to bug me I just put it in tour and it all goes away. How much are you asking for the system?
16silverSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #5
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I feel your pain... had the same issue with the Magnaflow cat back system which was probably worse than stainless because I had issues and I have the A8. There are people out there that love that deep boomy sound though so I wouldn't just "give it away to the lowest bidder" you'll find someone that wants it!

If you are looking for a nice sounding exhaust without the drone I would highly recommend Borla or Corsa. I've had both and never had an issue with drone. They have a mild tone at normal drive speeds and then they open up when you accelerate and really make the car come alive. When I ran into the drone issue on the Magnaflow I switched to Borla because they have an NPP option (dont' believe Corsa has an NPP option as of now) and their x-pipe had an AFM valve option which I wanted for my A8. They also have options without AFM for their x-pipe & mid-pipe kits and they even have an option to delete secondary cats if you want that too.

If you're curious about how the Borla sounds, I have some videos on my Instagram (@gdgraph), I have the Borla 60610 w/ 11924 on mine.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
I feel your pain... had the same issue with the Magnaflow cat back system which was probably worse than stainless because I had issues and I have the A8. There are people out there that love that deep boomy sound though so I wouldn't just "give it away to the lowest bidder" you'll find someone that wants it!

If you are looking for a nice sounding exhaust without the drone I would highly recommend Borla or Corsa. I've had both and never had an issue with drone. They have a mild tone at normal drive speeds and then they open up when you accelerate and really make the car come alive. When I ran into the drone issue on the Magnaflow I switched to Borla because they have an NPP option (dont' believe Corsa has an NPP option as of now) and their x-pipe had an AFM valve option which I wanted for my A8. They also have options without AFM for their x-pipe & mid-pipe kits and they even have an option to delete secondary cats if you want that too.

If you're curious about how the Borla sounds, I have some videos on my Instagram (@gdgraph), I have the Borla 60610 w/ 11924 on mine.

Your Borla sounds good! Well done.. Did you end up selling the Magna Flows? I know some people like the boomy exhaust sound.. I heard it, sat in it in person. Sounds boomy outside and inside. Def a unique sound which Magaflow is pretty much known for.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thanks! I'm very satisfied now, it was a lot of trips to the shop trying out the Magnaflow, then just the Borla axle back, then adding in the Borla x-pipe & mid-pipe but now it's all done and it's exactly what I was looking for.

Haven't sold the Magnaflows yet, they are the 19265 cat back (w/ AFM valves & NPP). If you know anyone that's interested let me know! I'm in no hurry to sell them, they are so expensive new that someone is bound to make off with a solid deal buying these off of me with less than 150 mi on them. And like you said some people are into this sound, just not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Your Borla sounds good! Well done.. Did you end up selling the Magna Flows? I know some people like the boomy exhaust sound.. I heard it, sat in it in person. Sounds boomy outside and inside. Def a unique sound which Magaflow is pretty much known for.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #8
sslur56

After talking with the guys at Phastek, they were thinking I could easily get $1,000 for the system. I installed the catback on 11/11/16, so just about a month of driving on it. I did end up cutting off the AFM valve delete brackets, but still have them and should be pretty easy to get them welded back on if needed. I am willing to take $850, plus shipping, for the complete system. Should have it off the car either this weekend or over Christmas. Thanks for all the info. Borla AxleBack and Mid pipe ordered and scheduled to be delivered this Friday! Looking forward to a drone free drive! I was originally contemplating between the two, and price steered me toward Stainless Works; I guess you get what you pay for...

Tags
catback exhaust, exhaust, stainless works