Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-29-2023, 12:52 PM   #1
JacksonTollock

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Turn Signal Sound Delete

How can I turn off the sound of my turn signals? The dash lights and indicator lamps (obviously) can stay, but the turn signal bonking makes me, well, bonkers. Usually, I crank the music, but with the family in the car, that's not always viable (wife and dogs claim a suspect Skynyrd allergy). Anyone know a non-destructive way to eliminate the sound? By the way, my aftermarket steroe set-up makes the bonk even louder, but it's not affected by the manually-adjusted volume, so it can be overpowered by my tunery. And I'd rather not take it back to the car audio store (again) to have them rewire that sound, in particular, back to stock. Frankly, I don't trust them to do it right. To be sure, I'll choose another shop for any further audio accouterments for my vehicles. Any guidance, friends? Or is there another thread I have overlooked?
Thanks!
JacksonTollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 01:22 PM   #2
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
I don't believe you'd be able to do it without some type of tuning. Perhaps an adapter on the stereo system? Pretty sure that sound is programmed in to the stereo system. Maybe check Crutchfield to see if they have anything.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 03:57 PM   #3
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
You could, but it will remove backup sensors and other safety warnings and other controls, disconnect the CAN connections to the amplifier.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:21 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I have a novel Friday night idea
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:30 AM   #5
JacksonTollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I have a novel Friday night idea
In the Texas heat, my hand might catch on fire. But I like the way you think!
Old 09-30-2023, 05:43 AM   #6
JacksonTollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
You could, but it will remove backup sensors and other safety warnings and other controls, disconnect the CAN connections to the amplifier.
Cheers! Might not be able to silence the signal bonks but at least I learned what CAN connections are. "Right this way to the rabbit hole, sir." Appreciate the response.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:46 AM   #7
JacksonTollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
I don't believe you'd be able to do it without some type of tuning. Perhaps an adapter on the stereo system? Pretty sure that sound is programmed in to the stereo system. Maybe check Crutchfield to see if they have anything.
Thanks for the Crutchfield suggestion, I forgot about them, the IT help desk of audiophiles. And on a Friday night to boot!
Old 09-30-2023, 09:01 PM   #8
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonTollock View Post
Cheers! Might not be able to silence the signal bonks but at least I learned what CAN connections are. "Right this way to the rabbit hole, sir." Appreciate the response.
It should silence the turn signals, as well.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:07 AM   #9
JacksonTollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
It should silence the turn signals, as well.
Looks like I have 8 wires going into the amp from the head unit and 8 wires going out to the speakers. So, do I want to disconnect one? More than one? From the inputs right?
Old 10-01-2023, 11:36 AM   #10
JimRockford

Drives: 1SS + SS-Sedan M6 + Terrain diesel
Disconnecting all CANbus stuff from the amp seems like it has the undercurrent of a potentially bad idea, except when compared with these intentionally worse ideas:

- speed warning. set it to your cruising speed, keep going -1/+1 mph from that?
- seat belt reminder. take off your seat belt or put a butt-shaped cinderblock on passenger seat?
- leave turn signal on forever. after a while the clicking will be replaced by chiming and a display warning on dash and the sound of other drivers yelling at you.
- use hand signals only.

Last edited by JimRockford; 10-01-2023 at 11:37 AM. Reason: removed and hoarded one superfluous "-"
JimRockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 12:14 PM   #11
JacksonTollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRockford View Post
Disconnecting all CANbus stuff from the amp seems like it has the undercurrent of a potentially bad idea, except when compared with these intentionally worse ideas:

- speed warning. set it to your cruising speed, keep going -1/+1 mph from that?
- seat belt reminder. take off your seat belt or put a butt-shaped cinderblock on passenger seat?
- leave turn signal on forever. after a while the clicking will be replaced by chiming and a display warning on dash and the sound of other drivers yelling at you.
- use hand signals only.
I swear some folks have managed to turn off their "your turn sign has been on for the last 14 miles" warning that you mentioned. Maybe they tune their hearing aids to filter certain sounds (not ageist, just pondering)? Also, I've seen tons of late-model cars driving at night without illuminated headlights. It's okay to disable automatic headlamps, but then there's no warning that you've turned yourself into an invisible head-on collision? I'd say my turn signal sound deletion is pretty far down the list of hazardous ideas.

In the meantime, I'm going to play with the amp and stereo settings and see if I can't at least limit my auditory exposure to the Chevy's pernicious ways.

Any more ideas for me to try out?

Last edited by JacksonTollock; 10-01-2023 at 01:18 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-01-2023, 12:57 PM   #12
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonTollock View Post
Any more ideas for me to try out?
Not sure if this will even integrate with your setup, but there's a Bose bypass accessory that, in addition to its core features, provides the ability to adjust the volume of factory chimes: https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AXDSPX-ETH1

"Voice prompts, parking sensor chimes, and other factory chimes are retained with an adjustable volume control that many traditional DSPs cannot offer."
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 01:18 PM   #13
JacksonTollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
Not sure if this will even integrate with your setup, but there's a Bose bypass accessory that, in addition to its core features, provides the ability to adjust the volume of factory chimes: https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AXDSPX-ETH1

"Voice prompts, parking sensor chimes, and other factory chimes are retained with an adjustable volume control that many traditional DSPs cannot offer."
Now, that is pretty cool. The link shows a ton of adapters, so I bet it'll work with my GM, non-Bose head unit: "The AXDSP-X works with all the existing DSP T-harnesses." Little pricey, but I appreciate the assist.

Tags
delete, signal, sound