Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #295
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
There are some updates over here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=283523&page=5
Old 07-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #296
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Any updates on the MACE cam thing?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:33 AM   #297
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Any updates on the MACE cam thing?
I made the decision not to go ahead with this project months ago. The skinny is they only made 15 rwhp on a install that mace did down under, so I told him to keep them. He said that they hit a wall with the tune...which is what most people say when their parts don't work as expected. Totally not worth my time to deal with them for 15 hp. He offered them to me free and I said, no thanks, if that tells you anything. I did however get most of my money back. He paid for all of the damage to my car, cams, shipping bla bla bla. The only thing I was out was the import tax. FI is the way to go with this engine design.
Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.

Last edited by BlackoutLFX; 07-18-2014 at 07:19 AM.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #298
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Well that sucks to hear. I guess it was a bit much to expect all the fun of the V8 mods to make it to our six bangers. But kudos to you sir for trying.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #299
Jason@JacFab

Yup, thanks for trying, sucks about all the hassle, damage, and frustration, but at least you got most of your money back.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #300
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Quote:
Yup, thanks for trying, sucks about all the hassle, damage, and frustration, but at least you got most of your money back.
Don't thank me, I was camming the car for my own pleasure. LOL. Too bad all of the hype about 40 rwhp was a lie.
Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #301
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
I made the decision not to go ahead with this project months ago. The skinny is they only made 15 rwhp on a install that mace did down under, so I told him to keep them. He said that they hit a wall with the tune...which is what most people say when their parts don't work as expected. Totally not worth my time to deal with them for 15 hp. He offered them to me free and I said, no thanks, if that tells you anything. I did however get most of my money back. He paid for all of the damage to my car, cams, shipping bla bla bla. The only thing I was out was the import tax. FI is the way to go with this engine design.
In our defense we were never told that you were out of pocket import taxes etc. We would have certainly refunded this. At the end of the day, we reimbursed you around $3300 in labor costs, so why would I hold off on these taxes?

We also did the honorable thing and told you of the findings we found recently with additional developments here instead send you out the cams, hoping things would be different. We responsibly err'd on the side of caution, despite having previous results to suggest that the gains were closer to those as advertised (possibly due to the larger exhaust pipes that this car was running directly after the heads).

Like everyone else in the scene, I wish we were at a stage where there was conclusive evidence that they work well on an LFX engine from a performance perspective (otherwise they fit and run well 100%), but we're not there yet. My gut tells me though that the integrated exhaust port is what will largely hurt gains in performance with cams, however there are a still a few things that we can try to get around this.

Despite this though, until we can completely do all of the tuning/testing R&D ourselves this product has been suspended indefinitely.

We are still working hard with the LFX engine though, with aftermarket springs and improved chains to suit available, so we're not giving up. Just a pain making NA power with an LFX engine, unlike say an LLT or LY7 manifold upgrades etc.

Hope this has provided an insight into this project.

Kindest Regards,
Steve
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #302
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
I think we can all respect that Steve. Sorry to hear that the project has run out of steam, but it was worth the shot. BlackoutLFX has been a real trooper trying something out like this for us. We all wanted to see this work for him, so that we could follow behind. So that's why this has all been pretty disappointing.

Sent from my Nokia Brick using Tapatalk
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #303
MACE_ENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6bangerBOOM View Post
I think we can all respect that Steve. Sorry to hear that the project has run out of steam, but it was worth the shot. BlackoutLFX has been a real trooper trying something out like this for us. We all wanted to see this work for him, so that we could follow behind. So that's why this has all been pretty disappointing.

Sent from my Nokia Brick using Tapatalk
I totally agree with the courage that BlackoutLFX had with attempting such a relatively new, involved product from a company on the other side of the world. I wish we had a better outcome at the moment for everyone, but sadly we don't yet.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #304
Jason@JacFab

Props to you MACE for standing behind your product, and compensating him above and beyond what most companies probably would have. hopefully something good will come of all this R&D one day.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #305
MACE_ENG

Quote:
Props to you MACE for standing behind your product, and compensating him above and beyond what most companies probably would have. hopefully something good will come of all this R&D one day.
Thanks Jason

If there is one thing good that has come our from this is that we can offer custom grinds to suit these engine 100%, BUT have NO responsibility as to there effectiveness.

Why I mention this is that there may be some people out their with particular builds where a cam upgrade is required (think boost or all out NA build), which has certainly been the case on the past for earlier V6 engines. More recent one was with a turbed LY7 SAAB which makes around 1000fwhp after we make the cams to his specs.

But I must stress that until further notice on our end, we do not have a bolt on cam set for your average LFX making solid power gains, which is reflected by the fact that there are no longer available off the shelf.