Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
MrGarb

Drives: 2014 Black 2LS tinted and Subwoofed
V6 upgrades. Where do you start?

So I just got a 2014 auto v6. Concerning performance upgrades, where does one begin?

I understand a CAI is a good first move, those are easy. However I'm not seeing as much out there for v6 engines. I want to spend up to five grand in the first year or two, not all at once. Keep the butterflies going as they say.

So where did you start?
MrGarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Slik_ss

Drives: Black ss 2011
If you want something worth your money go with a turbo charge/ supercharger and mostly looks and a good suspension upgrade is perfect and is it manual or auto?
Slik_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Cold air intake.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
Slik_ss

Drives: Black ss 2011
Didn't see that all at once part but yea cai is the way to start
Slik_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Catch can, suspension upgrades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
Zig Zag

Drives: 2014 1LT
The LFX section has the answers you seek.
You will want to check this out. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307690
Zig Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
waiting for it....

Updated w/ Willow Springs:
1. Nissan GTR Track Pack 1:19.6 2. Ducati 1198 S 1:19.7 3. Nissan GTR 1:20.3 4. Corvette Z06 1:20.4
5. Audi R8 V10 Plus 1:22.0 6. Ferrari 458 Italia 1:22.3
7. CAMARO SS 1LE 1:22.7
8. Shelby GT 500 1:23.5
9. Mustang Gt Track Pack 1:25.8
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beany323 View Post
waiting for it....

Don't waste your time upgrading the V6, buy a quad turbo W16.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:58 PM   #9
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
waiting for it....

I dont want to say it but eff it. O/p just enjoy your car as it is. If you want to dump 5k into a 6 for performance bro go get an ss and be done. At the end of the day you will not be close to V8 performance (even with 5k) although sts or s/c would put you close or right there but I believe they are north of 5k.

You have a decent car so enjoy it for what it is and dont try to dump money into it to make it something different.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:09 AM   #10
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
I dont want to say it but eff it. O/p just enjoy your car as it is. If you want to dump 5k into a 6 for performance bro go get an ss and be done. At the end of the day you will not be close to V8 performance (even with 5k) although sts or s/c would put you close or right there but I believe they are north of 5k.

You have a decent car so enjoy it for what it is and dont try to dump money into it to make it something different.
Good advice.....I was waiting for it..
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:36 AM   #11
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGarb View Post
So I just got a 2014 auto v6. Concerning performance upgrades, where does one begin?

I understand a CAI is a good first move, those are easy. However I'm not seeing as much out there for v6 engines. I want to spend up to five grand in the first year or two, not all at once. Keep the butterflies going as they say.

So where did you start?

Welcome to Camaro5.com

Enjoy your ride and build it the way you would like to.

Plenty of us here who will help you out, just stay focused on what YOU want and ignore all those who think they know what you want.

Check this thread out for performance stuff for you LFX engine.

For other mods either cosmetic or handling, check out the link in my signature for "my build". You can even send me a message for any questions you may have. I am here to help you build your dream Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik_ss View Post
If you want something worth your money go with a turbo charge/ supercharger and mostly looks and a good suspension upgrade is perfect and is it manual or auto?

These 2 items above will cost a little more than the 5 grand you are looking to spend, but can be worth it, however it is a one time cost not spread out over the couple years you speak of. Also, these leave you no room in your budget for other items you may want to play with. Again Cosmetic and handling are a big part of my budget along with performance.

I was trying to maintain a equal split between the 3 categorizes and the way I keep tabs it worked out well

37% into cosmetic
30% into handling
33% into performance

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
Cold air intake.

Great first item for performance. See the above link for more items to check into for your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActNup NY View Post
Catch can, suspension upgrades

Catch can is a must for our Direct Injected Engine. A few good ones on the market today. Plenty of threads on this subject, if you do a search for the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:

If you wanted V8 performance than for sure buy a V8. However, you may still end up spending another 5K in stuff to make it your own.

Biggest difference you will feel between the V6 and the V8 is straight line acceleration. Line the two up on the drag strip and you will get beat by a second or two at the worst. Not a big deal in my book, as there is more to owning a nice car than just straight line acceleration.

I bought my V6 because I was going to be putting 70 miles a day on it commuting to work. But wanted to have a nice GREAT looking car too.

I saved 7K on the initial cost when comparing the same model in the V8.

Then there was insurance and fuel cost savings.

I took those savings and modded my Camaro to my liking.

AGAIN, be sure to post up questions you may have over in the V6 section and someone will be along to help you out.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #12
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
It's a Camaro enjoy it for you not for everyone else. I've done my share of modding also but mostly for 1/4 mile fun and handling. Ask any questions you want. If you do not want a bunch of BS send me a private message with questions and avoid all the V6 haters. Catch can, CAI and Throttle controller are in MY OPINION good 3 mods to start with. Have fun and enjoy your car.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #13
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
waiting for it....

When's it gonna happen?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Don't waste your time upgrading the V6, buy a quad turbo W16.
We're getting closerrrrrr

Quote:

AND HERE IS OUR WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Good advice.....I was waiting for it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Welcome to Camaro5.com

Enjoy your ride and build it the way you would like to.

Plenty of us here who will help you out, just stay focused on what YOU want and ignore all those who think they know what you want.

Check this thread out for performance stuff for you LFX engine.

For other mods either cosmetic or handling, check out the link in my signature for "my build". You can even send me a message for any questions you may have. I am here to help you build your dream Camaro.

These 2 items above will cost a little more than the 5 grand you are looking to spend, but can be worth it, however it is a one time cost not spread out over the couple years you speak of. Also, these leave you no room in your budget for other items you may want to play with. Again Cosmetic and handling are a big part of my budget along with performance.

I was trying to maintain a equal split between the 3 categorizes and the way I keep tabs it worked out well

37% into cosmetic
30% into handling
33% into performance

Good Luck

Great first item for performance. See the above link for more items to check into for your build.

If you wanted V8 performance than for sure buy a V8. However, you may still end up spending another 5K in stuff to make it your own.

Biggest difference you will feel between the V6 and the V8 is straight line acceleration. Line the two up on the drag strip and you will get beat by a second or two at the worst. Not a big deal in my book, as there is more to owning a nice car than just straight line acceleration.

I bought my V6 because I was going to be putting 70 miles a day on it commuting to work. But wanted to have a nice GREAT looking car too.

I saved 7K on the initial cost when comparing the same model in the V8.

Then there was insurance and fuel cost savings.

I took those savings and modded my Camaro to my liking.

AGAIN, be sure to post up questions you may have over in the V6 section and someone will be along to help you out.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Three things without a doubt you should do first and they won't break the bank!
1). Cold Air Intake
2). Ported Throttle Body
3). Exhaust. Resonated X pipe and remove factory garbage can mufflers and replace with straight pipe!
Enjoy!

Tags
performance, upgrades