Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #71
Qmaro14

Drives: Camaro ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAkrish View Post
I want to install HIDs in my 2010 Camaro 1ss. I only want them to come on at night. How do I disable the DRLs so this can work? Thanks in advance!!!
Did you ever have any luck in disabling the dlrs ? i'm try to figure that out myself
Qmaro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #72
daktah

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss 1le
on the flip side, how can i make it so the halos turn on for the drls with (preferably instead of) the fog lights?

Stock + Speed Engineering 1 7/8 LTHs w/ TSP HFCs, Roto-Fab CAI, Innovate DLG1/LC2 Dual WBo2, Smoked Wicker Bill, Self Tuned w/ HPTuners
daktah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #73
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daktah View Post
on the flip side, how can i make it so the halos turn on for the drls with (preferably instead of) the fog lights?
I wired my halos so they come on as soon as the key is turned. Ran a piggy back from the engine compartment fuse box, then wired directly out to the halos. You can remove the spring from the light switch, so the drl’s and lights only come on manually. Do a search and you’ll find some threads about it.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #74
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daktah View Post
See here...

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266497
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:16 PM   #75
daktah

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss 1le
ah neat, dont know if its $90/$120 neat but cool to know it exists.

Stock + Speed Engineering 1 7/8 LTHs w/ TSP HFCs, Roto-Fab CAI, Innovate DLG1/LC2 Dual WBo2, Smoked Wicker Bill, Self Tuned w/ HPTuners
daktah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:06 PM   #76
v1k1ng421

Drives: 2013 1LS
I have 2013 Camaro LS (non-RS). Back in 2014, I purchased OEM RS headlights and used the Non-RS to RS headlight harness #2 from Gen5DIY to run them. For anyone who doesn't know, the 4 pin RS headlights aren't plug-and-play on a non-RS Camaro (which has a 3 pin headlight connector). Two months ago, I started having problems with my headlights (passenger side stuck on high beam, driver side not working). I shot the problem down to the aftermarket wiring harness going out on me. When I ordered a new harness, I discovered that I now had a problem with the passenger side headlight not working unless I unplugged the passenger headlight and then plugged it back in almost every time I started my car. It ended up being a problem with the headlight itself. Instead of paying around $450 for a new OEM RS headlight, I decided to buy a whole new set of aftermarket headlights and install LED bulbs in them. I wanted the new headlights' LED halo/accent lights to function as the DRLs which means that I needed to disable the headlight DRL function (apparently LED and HID bulbs can flicker when running at the lower voltage that DRL headlights operate). I did as much research as I could (much of it on this forum), and came across a post where someone said that you could install a relay to disable the headlights as DRL. I wish I could find that post again to give that person credit. It got my gears turning, and I figured out that if you run the coil side of a standard 12V relay in parallel with the parking light wires, then run the headlight low beam wire through the switch side of the relay, the headlights will not function unless the parking lights are on, thereby disabling the headlights as DRLs. I drew up a wiring diagram to illustrate this, and included the wiring that runs my aftermarket fog lights in parallel with my headlights and the 50W 6 ohm resistor for my switchback LED parking/turn signal bulbs. I'm happy to say that it works. I have my headlight accent lights wired to the ignition fuse so they are on whenever the ignition is on (operate as DRLs), and the headlights only come on when the parking lights are on. The only weird thing about my setup is that when I have the ignition on but the engine isn't running, the headlights don't come on automatically when it gets dark, they have to be turned on manually. This isn't really an issue for me because everything works correctly when the engine's running. I'm including the wiring diagram I drew up as well as pics of my wiring for each headlight showing where I mounted the 12V relay for each headlight. I hope this info can help out anyone else looking for info on how to disable their headlights as DRLs without giving up any other functionality (i.e. headlights coming on automatically when it gets dark).

my wiring diagram:
Name:  wiring harness for halos-parking-headlights (1).jpg
Views: 75
Size:  63.1 KB

driver's side wiring (relay mounted outboard of headlight):
Name:  headlight wiring Lt (disable DRL) 20230128.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  338.3 KB

passenger side wiring (relay mounted outboard of headlight):
Name:  headlight wiring Rt (disable DRL) 20230128.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  255.9 KB