Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-01-2023, 02:14 PM   #1
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Amco shift knob and Z28 boot in an auto transmission

Hello, I am just wrapping up a project and figured I'd share it with y'all to maybe help inspire someone or at least just brag about a job well done.

It all started with a kit from White Madness Garage (WMG), which came with an M12 thread, but while looking at shifter knobs I found a 70s Amco Camaro knob and knew I had to have it. One trip to McMasters later I found the perfect thread adapter, biggest issue was the length, but since it's an auto I am not too worried about not having the slickest short shifter in town.

With all that together I got working on having a set orientation for the shift knob, I tried jam nuts but both the WMG kit and the adapter had a large unthreaded areas on the male side so it was extending the size just slightly too far, loctite and glue were out of the question because disassembly of the trim was a pain without disassembling the stick, so what I did was 3D print a bunch of .2mm washers and kept adding them until that shiny Camaro logo was pointing forward, then I took the count and printed a single spacer.

At that point I decided I wanted a fancy shift boot to match, I saw a thread here about fitting the leather one but figured now is my chance to add some suede to the car so I settled with the z28 one. Issue with the z28 shifter is the little plastic bit on top, and yes I could just remove the piece then tuck and zip tie suede bit but I got a little fancy and modeled\printed a cap that locks in to the boot cap and also acts as the spacer I designed earlier. This was the most time consuming one, biggest issue is that if it sat too high the boot was stretched to point where the car refused to let you take the key out because even in park it though car was in gear, but if you put it too low then you couldn't push down far enough to change gears (if anyone is interested in this piece I can upload the file somewhere, haven't done it yet because it feels super specific).

Then presto, we got us a fancy shifter, I did experiment with some polyurethane clearcoat on the knob to protect the shiny highlights on image but it just flaked off (which is for better it looked awful). I will post some pictures below to show it off.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2023, 02:18 PM   #2
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Here is the picture of the first adapter, thought idea of shift pattern on it was neat but the writing ended up looking tacky and the gloss finish was pretty awful too, so I was lucky it wouldn't let the car function in that form so I had to redo it for something matt balck instead
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2023, 07:28 PM   #3
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Looks pretty good!!
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 11:50 PM   #4
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Looks cool
chevy pilot is online now   Reply With Quote