Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
svrds10

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 Wht/Slvr ext Wht/Gry int
USB Driver Capacity Question

Hi Guys,

I have been using a USB Driver in my Camaro for a while now however I have always stuck to the 2,500 song capacity that I heard someone mention on here that the indexing can handle. After reading the owners manual it specifically states that it can hold 10,000. Has anyone successfully gotten large 16gb or 32gb drive filled and have it actually index all of the songs? I have a huge song collection and listen to many genre's and would rather not have to split into multiple usb drives as it takes time to do the initial indexing. Hopefully some of you had luck in this.

Here is a screenshot from the owners manual where it states the 10,000 song cap

'10 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS - Summit White W/ Silver Stripes
'
09 Dodge Challenger R/T - Hemi Orange
svrds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
10,000 is wrong. There's an updated manual that has the 2,500.

Someone claimed if you put the MP3s in separate folders (and not all in the root folder) then you can get past the 2,500 limit but I personally have not confirmed it.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by svrds10 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have been using a USB Driver in my Camaro for a while now however I have always stuck to the 2,500 song capacity that I heard someone mention on here that the indexing can handle. After reading the owners manual it specifically states that it can hold 10,000. Has anyone successfully gotten large 16gb or 32gb drive filled and have it actually index all of the songs? I have a huge song collection and listen to many genre's and would rather not have to split into multiple usb drives as it takes time to do the initial indexing. Hopefully some of you had luck in this.

Here is a screenshot from the owners manual where it states the 10,000 song cap
as far as i'm concerned, this is a defect in the 2010 Camaro. i have had arguments about this at the dealer. my argument is that i was sold a car that was supposed to be able to play mp3's off USB sticks in a similar way that aftermarket head units with USB ports play mp3's off USB sticks... and that my manual says 10,000 songs - i don't care what YOUR "updated" manual that i never got says. this is a selling point, and the unit is defective for the fact that it doesn't do what it says in its own manual.

i have problems with an error saying "No Supported Data Found On Drive" - and it plays no music. so i unplug it, then plug it back in, it starts playing the first track in the first directory on my drive, then continues to play in alphabetical order by song title until the drive is fully indexed and you can select the music you want to play. NOTE: aftermarket head units with USB ports do not require "indexing" of mp3 files, meaning that the music starts playing immediately, and the directories are easily searched.

i talked to a "GM Tech" on the phone who suggested that i put 500 songs under a single directory to see what happens. i get the "No Supported Data" error, and no matter what i do, i cannot get any music to play at all.

my only luck is to have every album in its own folder.

i am currently running 1,900 mp3's on a USB stick and having "No Supported Data" show up on the screen, so i have to unplug it, and plug it in again so it will start working.

well... at least as far as this USB/mp3 interface is concern, GM FAILED! they're late to the party, and the whole functionality of it SUCKS.

when i shut off my car in the middle of the song and start it back up, it remembers right where i left off, but it doesn't remember which album i was listening to - and it just continues in alphabetical order by song title, picking songs from any folder on my drive.

why couldn't they make it work the way the CD's with Mp3's burn to them work in the dash??? Mp3 CD's work perfectly! I pop in a CD with 6 different albums on it, the first song it plays automatically is the first track inside the first album (folder) on the drive... and it plays through the entire album, then continues onto the next album. and if i stop the car, it'll pick up right where it left off, and continue playing the album until it finishes, then move onto the next album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
10,000 is wrong. There's an updated manual that has the 2,500.

Someone claimed if you put the MP3s in separate folders (and not all in the root folder) then you can get past the 2,500 limit but I personally have not confirmed it.
if 10,000 is wrong - then someone's ASS better have been fired.

i'm sure i could go past the 2,500 mp3 limit - but do i really want to sit around for 30 minutes, waiting for everything to index before i can choose what music i want to listen to?

here is what i do...

- i format my drive to FAT32
- i create a folder for a band
- in that band folder, i create another folder for an album
- in that album folder, i copy the mp3s and label them "01 - Track 01.mp3" and so on... and make sure that all the IDTag info is properly filled out.

this has been my most successful format for reading mp3's off USB storage devices.
Attached Images

KeepItGreasey is offline   Reply With Quote