Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #127
med247

Drives: explorer
old one non photo.
med247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #128
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by med247 View Post
old one non photo.
That's the reason then. The PDIM was asking the iPod for the index but wasn't getting it so it tried indexing the hard drive on it, which just won't work. Anything 5th gen or newer should work.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #129
med247

Drives: explorer
thanks for the info. it should still work if i use aux cable correct?
med247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #130
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by med247 View Post
thanks for the info. it should still work if i use aux cable correct?
Yeah that would work out just fine. You'd just have to control your music selection from the iPod itself, instead of the radio controls.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #131
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Just got my car yesterday and still experimenting but has anyone noticed a sort of "skipping" from a USB drive? I was out driving last night and was using a USB drive for music. It was able to index the whole thing (although not sure if it actually got all the songs since I have more than 2500). When I got in this morning it started indexing again. I couldn't change the song or anything. The worst part, it started pausing briefly every few seconds. It almost seemed like the PDIM was not able to read the data fast enough to index and play the song or it was running out of ram. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and it started indexing again and doing the same thing. I let it go for about 5 minutes and it just kept on doing it. I eventually got sick of listening to it and switched to XM.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #132
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Just got my car yesterday and still experimenting but has anyone noticed a sort of "skipping" from a USB drive? I was out driving last night and was using a USB drive for music. It was able to index the whole thing (although not sure if it actually got all the songs since I have more than 2500). When I got in this morning it started indexing again. I couldn't change the song or anything. The worst part, it started pausing briefly every few seconds. It almost seemed like the PDIM was not able to read the data fast enough to index and play the song or it was running out of ram. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and it started indexing again and doing the same thing. I let it go for about 5 minutes and it just kept on doing it. I eventually got sick of listening to it and switched to XM.
Haven't heard of this particular issue. I know you just got your car (congratulations by the way!), but you may want to get the software update that's out there and see if that resolves the issue for you. It should improve the startup procedure quite a bit.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #133
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
It may be freaking out about the 2500 song limit. Try limiting your USB drive down to 2500 songs and then re-trying.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #134
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
It may be freaking out about the 2500 song limit. Try limiting your USB drive down to 2500 songs and then re-trying.
Yea, I was thinking the same. What's odd though is that it worked fine last night but now I can't seem to get it to work. I suppose I could try to pair down my library and see if that helps.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #135
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
2500 songs is roughly, what, 150 hours of music?

That's over 6 days of constant music. I think you could pare that down a little, maybe get multiple USB sticks, one for each genre or something.

At least, that's my approach...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #136
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
Haven't heard of this particular issue. I know you just got your car (congratulations by the way!), but you may want to get the software update that's out there and see if that resolves the issue for you. It should improve the startup procedure quite a bit.
Just as an update... I reformatted the drive (FAT32) and put them back on but instead of using the sync in Media Center which organizes them into directories, I just copied and pasted my library (which is still organized into directories, just not as much). I then plugged it back in and after 15min or so it finally finished it's indexing and worked fine. After shutting off the car and everything, and cranking it back up it started indexing again and took about 5 minutes. It seems to have to do this every time. I just wish I could change songs while it was indexing... then it wouldn't be such a big deal. I've gotta go back to the dealership today for something else so I'm planning on getting them to update the PDIM. I'll report back how that goes.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #137
DarthVader
Darth Vader

Drives: 2010 SS All Black
I have had luck using 256 Mb flash drives, so I bought a new 8Gb flash drive the other day. I spent a ton of time copying MP3s onto it, but it's acting like it's too big for the Camaro's computer. The manual states it might take a long time to index all the files on the flash drive, which is what I expected, but it never completes indexing (has yet to finish during my 20-minute drive in to work).

So, the stereo starts at the first song when playing this USB, and will play in random order, but I cannot skip tracks until the system is done indexing.

My question: What is the largest USB drive that someone has used successfully? I'm thinking I might need to either (a) remove some of the MP3s to reduce the size, or (b) get a smaller USB drive... Any help would be great.
DarthVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #138
UCF w00t
Geek

I use a 32gb drive. I've got about 2000 songs on it (nowhere close to being full but trimmed back my library due to the 2500 song limit. All are MP3 and almost all 192kbit. Each album is in it's own folder.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:35 AM   #139
nwotank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
I use a 32gb drive. I've got about 2000 songs on it (nowhere close to being full but trimmed back my library due to the 2500 song limit. All are MP3 and almost all 192kbit. Each album is in it's own folder.
does yours take forever to index? i have an iphone but i think this usb thing might be a good backup for when i'm doing other stuff with the iphone, i just don't want to wait around forever each time i get in my car for the thing to index
nwotank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #140
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwotank View Post
does yours take forever to index? i have an iphone but i think this usb thing might be a good backup for when i'm doing other stuff with the iphone, i just don't want to wait around forever each time i get in my car for the thing to index
The first time you plug in a new USB drive it may take quite a while to index (15min?). Each normal start it takes a minute or two to index. I've gotten in the habit of picking a song I'll want to listen to when I get back in before shutting off the car. Than and/or just flipping to the radio while it indexes.