Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
AoKPerformance

Drives: G8 GT
NA Stroker Power Results

I am still working out some details for an upcoming NA stroker build, and I was hoping for some feedback from those with similar setups. While my setup will be a little smaller than what most of you would have since I am starting with a LS2 block (final hone at 4.005" => 403ci).

General Build Info:
12:1 SCR
E85
6L80E w/3200-3400 Stall

Here is where I am torn and hoping someone can speak to my concerns...

How much do you think factory 821 heads and a ported LS3 intake manifold will choke the setup? Anyone willing to share their power results and setup details?

Thanks in advance!
AoKPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:43 AM   #2
Redbeard11

Drives: 11 camaro
Running cnc 821 heads and stock ls3 manifold on a 416 and f1a. Runs 10 flat in the quarter, so not a huge restriction.
2011 1SS/ Thompson mtrsprts 416,Katech rotate assembly and cnc ls3 heads. Ferrera st. valves,BTR 685 Spr. F1A Procharger,3.70 pulley on 12 rib.Holley aux fuel pump,ZL1 fp and fpcm,dual alky control,Vmax TB,DSX E-85 sensor, fic1300 inj.Lsxperts custom cam,melling OP,mishimoto dual pass HX, ARH 2" headers, MD 4l80e, FTI 3200 stall,3:73 zl1 cradle, BC coil overs ,pfadt sway bars, EBC brakes and slotted rotors: 843rwhp tuned by LSXPERTS
Redbeard11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:00 AM   #3
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
What is your cam choice? The 821 heads flow pretty good for factory heads. The ls3 intake manifold is ok as well. It is all better than the ls2 stuff. But it all depends, what are the goals for the engine? Max effort? Budget build? Street car? Drag?
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.

Last edited by Black_SS10; 01-10-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Depending how your budget is, I strongly suggest porting your 821s and can net you 35whp+.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
AoKPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard11 View Post
Running cnc 821 heads and stock ls3 manifold on a 416 and f1a. Runs 10 flat in the quarter, so not a huge restriction.
I appreciate your post, but FI is a totally different ball of wax. Back around 2010ish I had a 403ci motor with a F1A in another car that made around 800rwhp at 16.5psi with AFR 225 heads (talk about choked!). That car trapped 145mph with a manual 6 speed trans while just shy of 4k lbs. Since then, I have built numerous motors for customers with stock 821s north of 1k hp. Most turbo setups I've built like that crest 1k around 18-19psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
What is your cam choice? The 821 heads flow pretty good for factory heads. The ls3 intake manifold is ok as well. It is all better than the ls2 stuff. But it all depends, what are the goals for the engine? Max effort? Budget build? Street car? Drag?
Cam is TBD and will be spec'd based on the heads I go with. Understand all of that. I am just looking for real world results from folks that have been down high SCR NA the path before - What worked, didn't work, etc.

This will be a street car with little-to-no track use. It started out as just a budget build with parts I had laying around from other builds... but now I am considering ported or aftermarket casting heads. Just hoping to receive some feedback from other that have been down that road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Depending how your budget is, I strongly suggest porting your 821s and can net you 35whp+.
Thanks for the feedback again (I am "racerbill" on ls1tech). A build you shared with me there is the closest to what I am going for. I definitely appreciate you sharing that with me! You actually mentioned some of the power gains in phases, which was really helpful. I wish those would have been with the stock LS3 intake to see something even closer to apples-to-apples.

The ported heads are definitely tempting, but for not much more, I could buy aftermarket ported castings then sell the stock heads for practically a wash.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #6
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Ported LS3 heads are already "a bottleneck" for a stroker engine. I am running ported LS9 heads (similar flow) and a ported LS3 intake on my 416, I would probably gain another 20 from the Fast 102 intake. I chose to use the ported LS3 intake for torque under the curve and throttle response though.

On a 402, the factory heads will work, but I suggest sending them out for porting at the minimum. We can port them for $499

https://store.katechengines.com/cnc-...pair-p599.aspx

If you're going for torque, stay with the LS3 intake manifold. If you're going for peak power, use the Fast 102 intake with the medium length runners.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #7
AoKPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
Ported LS3 heads are already "a bottleneck" for a stroker engine. I am running ported LS9 heads (similar flow) and a ported LS3 intake on my 416, I would probably gain another 20 from the Fast 102 intake. I chose to use the ported LS3 intake for torque under the curve and throttle response though.

On a 402, the factory heads will work, but I suggest sending them out for porting at the minimum. We can port them for $499

https://store.katechengines.com/cnc-...pair-p599.aspx

If you're going for torque, stay with the LS3 intake manifold. If you're going for peak power, use the Fast 102 intake with the medium length runners.
Thanks for sharing the info!

Do you have a dyno graph to share?