Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
xXSharkfhinXx

Drives: 2015 2SS RS
advice on good add ons

got

...jba cat exhaust
...cold air inductions
...prolly go catless

give me suggestions(name brand) on

...LT headers
...throttle body
...cam(what shall i add to balance the cams added hp to avoid failure)
not high end please lol

thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
People have had really good results from the high end long tubes (Kooks, ARH,etc) but if you’re looking to save a chunk of $ you could get some mid-priced LT’s from Texas Speed or on the low price end, OBX’s or some of the other “knock-off” types, don’t know the names of them, but a quick search here should give you plenty of examples and let you get a feel for what to expect from people who have them. When going cheap, the ones that are a direct copy of a name brand design will still produce similar power, the main downsides are material, weld quality and fitment, you may have to break out the hammer and ding a couple of primaries and the cheap headers may not last as long before cracking or rotting. Another downside may be your conscience in buying a copy of someone’s hard work and research, or feeling like you got completely gouged by buying name brand. No judgement either way here, just saying. I would steer clear of going cheap on a cam/top end package. Get the best package you can buy for the tq/hp/drive ability you are looking for. The way I look at it = Cheap long tubes won’t cause catastrophic failure, a low quality cam kit can, just my 2 cents. Texas Speed has some really good cam kits, especially if you’re looking to take advantage of VVT on the L99.
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
From reading some of your prior posts... I see you're new to the game. My suggestion (from years of trial and error) is to take your time and do your research....then you are better prepared to make sound decisions....not just copying others or following latest trends. Only you know what you want from your car.
There are thousands of threads related to your topic of discussion. Get your reading glasses, popcorn and beer...and settle in for some hefty reading.
One bit of advice...when modifying your car...one thing always begets another. So be sure when you decide, to check the next step forward so you don't get surprised and end up back on the forum asking why everything is wigging out.
Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
xXSharkfhinXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSammy View Post
People have had really good results from the high end long tubes (Kooks, ARH,etc) but if you’re looking to save a chunk of $ you could get some mid-priced LT’s from Texas Speed or on the low price end, OBX’s or some of the other “knock-off” types, don’t know the names of them, but a quick search here should give you plenty of examples and let you get a feel for what to expect from people who have them. When going cheap, the ones that are a direct copy of a name brand design will still produce similar power, the main downsides are material, weld quality and fitment, you may have to break out the hammer and ding a couple of primaries and the cheap headers may not last as long before cracking or rotting. Another downside may be your conscience in buying a copy of someone’s hard work and research, or feeling like you got completely gouged by buying name brand. No judgement either way here, just saying. I would steer clear of going cheap on a cam/top end package. Get the best package you can buy for the tq/hp/drive ability you are looking for. The way I look at it = Cheap long tubes won’t cause catastrophic failure, a low quality cam kit can, just my 2 cents. Texas Speed has some really good cam kits, especially if you’re looking to take advantage of VVT on the L99.
i agree totally about cam set and actually thats the cam i was looking at is the vvt, just didnt know or understand which i should get vv1,2 , 3, etc,,,,i figure i shouldnt go cheap on cam equipment but what goes along with a cam that i should do to prevent failure? upgraded lifters? upgrade head? etc...ive researched the long tubes and i found steal to be steal and there is alot of t304 steal for cheap if welded right......which throttle body shall i get
Old 01-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #5
xXSharkfhinXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
From reading some of your prior posts... I see you're new to the game. My suggestion (from years of trial and error) is to take your time and do your research....then you are better prepared to make sound decisions....not just copying others or following latest trends. Only you know what you want from your car.
There are thousands of threads related to your topic of discussion. Get your reading glasses, popcorn and beer...and settle in for some hefty reading.
One bit of advice...when modifying your car...one thing always begets another. So be sure when you decide, to check the next step forward so you don't get surprised and end up back on the forum asking why everything is wigging out.
Good luck.
i literally read the whole l99 dyno tune thread lol and was eating popcorn lolol, there are many name brands and mods that ive learned which mods i want and already have, its just name brand and not making a mistake on a bad part and then finally getting a dyno tune...gonna put the car eventually on the track for fun purposes...run it 5 times or so a year just to play while son(he is 19)who is a big time weekend racer has a heavily modded 2011 mitsubishi(its actually my car but his) eclipse gt, lightweight ,lots of hp....crazy the cars he beats...anyways, the few times ill go ,maybe ill put the dark machine on the pavement also and let him run it........lol....otherwise im just looking for show while i drive and the occasional cocky fella in the other lane wanting to run, lol....

jus curious i see u have headers and a cai....but your pushing 419hp/413t....what else u have added on?
Old 01-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
xXSharkfhinXx

which should i use for a 2015 L99 2ss...95 mm or 102mm throttle body? will either set off codes? thanks
Old 01-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSharkfhinXx View Post
which should i use for a 2015 L99 2ss...95 mm or 102mm throttle body? will either set off codes? thanks
Throttle body is a waste of money until heavily modified. That money would be well spent eslewhere. Speed engineering long tubes are grear quality and fit really well. I run them and am happy. With a cam you will.need a tune. Vvt 1, vvt 2 ect is cam stage. Gets a bit more wild with each stage. Which one is right for you really depends on you and what you are after. Longtubes and a tune right after that is where i would start. That satifies some people. If you find yourself wanting more, do a cam and a tune and you should be good to go. Alot of power to be had on these cars with a cam swap
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #8
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Headers:
High price (No particular order): ARH, Kooks, Stainless Works
Mid priced( No particular order): Texas Speed, Stainless Power
Budget: Speed Engineering (no cat option with the kit)

Throttle body:
Bo White ported throttle body or VMax.
AVOID BBK. They have a reputation of throttle plates sticking.

Cam:
What are your goals? NA, turbo, nitrous, positive displacement blower, centrifugal blower? Is this going to be a street car, drag strip car, road course car, any combo of the above? Do you want to keep VVT or do a LS3 conversion?

Personally my car is a street car that has the occasional fun with random people on the road. I went with a BTR stage 2 NA cam because I kept my stock converter. This would not be a best E.T. getter because I kept the stock converter and it isn’t as wild of a cam as is out there. I also ditched the VVT because it is one less thing to go wrong and VVT gives you better low end torque and most of the time I do a pull isn’t from low rpms. A LS3 cam will yield more upper end hp than a VVT cam. When I had planned to still do a LSA supercharger I was going to put a BTR PDS stage 3 cam in the car. Stage 3 instead of 4 because of better street manners. When I was going to keep the VVT I was going to get a TSP VVT2.2 cam.

I hope this helps. Check out my build thread if you want to see what all I’ve done and ask questions about anything. I’m happy to answer anything about my car you’re interested in.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #9
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSharkfhinXx View Post
i agree totally about cam set and actually thats the cam i was looking at is the vvt, just didnt know or understand which i should get vv1,2 , 3, etc,,,,i figure i shouldnt go cheap on cam equipment but what goes along with a cam that i should do to prevent failure? upgraded lifters? upgrade head? etc...ive researched the long tubes and i found steal to be steal and there is alot of t304 steal for cheap if welded right......which throttle body shall i get
Other than eliminating the AFM (lifters, etc) other supporting mods would be based on which cam you choose. You can lighten up the l99 valves if you are going to spin high rpm and upgrade springs to match the recommendations of the specific cam you choose. It all depends on if you want a mild mannered street car or a full race car or something in between. There are also mods which include timing upgrades and VVT limiting depending on how aggressive a cam you choose. Texas Speed would be the best source to help with your decision on one of their cams and would have all of the answers about the required or recommended supporting mods.
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
xXSharkfhinXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Headers:

Throttle body:

Cam:
What are your goals? NA, turbo, nitrous, positive displacement blower, centrifugal blower? Is this going to be a street car, drag strip car, road course car, any combo of the above? Do you want to keep VVT or do a LS3 conversion?

Personally my car is a street car that has the occasional fun with random people on the road. I went with a BTR stage 2 NA cam because I kept my stock converter. This would not be a best E.T. getter because I kept the stock converter and it isn’t as wild of a cam as is out there. I also ditched the VVT because it is one less thing to go wrong and VVT gives you better low end torque and most of the time I do a pull isn’t from low rpms. A LS3 cam will yield more upper end hp than a VVT cam. When I had planned to still do a LSA supercharger I was going to put a BTR PDS stage 3 cam in the car. Stage 3 instead of 4 because of better street manners. When I was going to keep the VVT I was going to get a TSP VVT2.2 cam.

I hope this helps. Check out my build thread if you want to see what all I’ve done and ask questions about anything. I’m happy to answer anything about my car you’re interested in.
good stuff, just curious, with speed engineering LTs u say there is no cat option. what u mean by this?....im either gonna keep my stock cats or delete...can this be done....right now i got new pzero tires for car and cat back exhaust...when i get some more money im doing the lt headers next....
Old 01-12-2020, 02:51 PM   #11
xXSharkfhinXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Headers:

Throttle body:

Cam:

good stuff, just curious, with speed engineering u say there is no cat option. what u mean by this?....im either gonna keep my stock cats or delete...can this be done....right now i got new pzeros for car and cat back exhaust...when i get some more money im doing the lt headers next....as far as a cam goes thats where i wanna stop....

my goal is
lt headers
cat back exahust
resonator delete
cai
throttle body
cam

tune

street fun and throw on track(guys who run for fun after the real racers lol) 3 or 4 times a year when my son goes and runs it after he races his gt...
Old 01-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #12
xXSharkfhinXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSammy View Post
Other than eliminating the AFM (lifters, etc) other supporting mods would be based on which cam you choose. You can lighten up the l99 valves if you are going to spin high rpm and upgrade springs to match the recommendations of the specific cam you choose. It all depends on if you want a mild mannered street car or a full race car or something in between. There are also mods which include timing upgrades and VVT limiting depending on how aggressive a cam you choose. Texas Speed would be the best source to help with your decision on one of their cams and would have all of the answers about the required or recommended supporting mods.
for street fun and going to an occasional street event and running for fun what cam would u suggest and what to support cam with?
Old 01-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #13
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Start with long tubes, hiflo cats and a decent tune. Those are simple (can't really mess them up). See where you stand and how the car feels. I say cats with headers because with most aftermarket catbacks it will be raspy and tend to drone. And if you later get a cam, it gets worse. Then you are spending more money to quiet it down.
Start with these simple things. It buys you time to get better acquainted with cams so you can make the right decision.
You will be surprised how much headers and a tune wakes these cars up.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #14
LaN-

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
Find a cheap LSA blower kit

628/525

Suspension: Koni orange, (BMR everything) 1" drop springs, toe rods, trailer arms, non adjustable LCR, FE4 sway bars, sub frame connectors, delrin sub frame bushing and upper control arm bushings. Front bushings.
LaN- is offline   Reply With Quote