Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
SuperChuck

Drives: 2013 1SS BlueRay Metallic
Cam and stall converter on L99...?

I drive a automatic 2013 Camaro 1SS. Last May I was able to have GPI install their SS1 VVT cam. One big reason I went with this cam was on their page it was sold as it works well with the factory stall converter. Which it has I've only put roughly 4k miles on the car since the install and no problems no complaints at all. It will buck or surge some at lower rpms cruising through my town at 20 mph coming to a stop. But that seems to have gotten a lot better or maybe I've just gotten used to it. Today one of the techs at the local Chevy dealership told me I should have a converter installed that's the reason for the bucking and will burn my transmission up. Not to discredit either side I would just like to think I could trust GPI more than this small town Chevy tech. is this something i should have done to my car? Or even if my car doesn't "need" it is it something that could improve performance and or health of my car if I had it done?
SuperChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Who tuned your car?
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
Domangue418

Drives: 2013 camaro SS
Yes it will help. Don’t go radical. I have a stage 4 tsp cam with a 3600 stall converter. No bucking but I shake at red lights lol. I also have heads intake etc
Domangue418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I don't think i buy that it will burn up your trans. It sounds to me like the tcc might need to unlock a little earlier but if your idle rpm isnt much over stock it wont hurt the trans. What the tech is probably leading at is if the rpms are higher at idle the car will be slightly engaging the converter which can cause more heat and more wear on the converter. A stall converter will for sure help amd it is a good performance mod but not required imo. Auto guys may have more to say on the subject.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane

Last edited by Greenhornet2; 01-18-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
With a stage 1 cam you shouldn't need a stall. Something is off on your tune to make it buck that badly.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:45 PM   #6
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Who tuned your car?
Ryan at GPI. No doubts in his work. I'm just really not a car guy. And they way the tech talked to me today made it seem more of a necessity than a perk or bonus.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domangue418 View Post
Yes it will help. Don’t go radical. I have a stage 4 tsp cam with a 3600 stall converter. No bucking but I shake at red lights lol. I also have heads intake etc
Yup yup got long tubes intake and getting exhaust this year. Defiantly a good shake at stops and when I start it up in the garage. I feel like the bucks aren't anything bad or out of control maybe even just me not firming pressing into the brake.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:01 PM   #8
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
I don't think i buy that it will burn up your trans. It sounds to me like the tcc might need to unlock a little earlier but if your idle rpm isnt much over stock it wont hurt the trans. What the tech is probably leading at is if the rpms are higher at idle the car will be slightly engaging the converter which can cause more heat and more wear on the converter. A stall converter will for sure help amd it is a good performance mod but not required imo. Auto guys may have more to say on the subject.
Hey thank alot man. Well said and way to ease my mind. I will add one to the list. Just have a couple small performance mods and few cosmetic mods I all ready had my heart sat on for this year. I feel like the car is fine and the idle rpms aren't anything out of the ordinary so can put it off a while. Tyvm again
Old 01-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #9
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
With a stage 1 cam you shouldn't need a stall. Something is off on your tune to make it buck that badly.
Hey thanks alot man. I'm most likely not describing it very well. But it's far from violent or out of control. None the less I should be getting a new tune in the next couple of months so I'll see how that one feels
Old 01-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Yea I think your tune on the trans/converter may be off, I have a TSP Stage 3 cam and a 3200 stall and am able to just putt through parking lots in drive or 1st in manual mode under 20mph with no bucking at all. Maybe they don't have to converter "unlocked" at lower idle speeds. Good luck sir.