Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
dry vs wet sump...

dry vs wet sump oiling system. which do you think should be on the Z, and why?
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Dry - here's why:

camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
A dry sump system would suit the spirit of the car. I don't know how much more they cost or what the possible weight penalty might be. But if there isn't too much of a downside, I say go for it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
A dry sump system would suit the spirit of the car. I don't know how much more they cost or what the possible weight penalty might be. But if there isn't too much of a downside, I say go for it.
I'd agree DG, seems to be in the spirit of the car. But it does add mass at the wrong end of the car. I guess you'd have a small oil pan on the block to offsett some of it. And I don't think an LS3 uses 10 1/2 quarts, and I'm not sure if thats the amount of oil the car actually takes.

But ASSUMING there ever is a Z, I think it would be a nice add, just like it was for the GS Corvette in 2010.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
Chris@Livernois

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Check out this story we recently did for Hot Rod Magazine where we converted a dry sump LS7 to wet sump and installed into a 2010 Camaro with before and after testing.

LS7 Dry Sump to Wet Sump Story

Putting it into the car

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

Last edited by Chris@Livernois; 02-13-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Chris@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
I read both of those stories, the latest one last night. I always wondered why people wanted to keep the dry sump for these cars. Seems like extra weight and extra distance to pump the oil. Good to see there's a solution now.

And just out of curiosity, because I'll never be able to afford to do it, but how long does it take you to do that swap? How long would you think it would take a reasonably competent person to do at home? I know in the magazine you said a couple of days to remove the engine. Is it faster going on?
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
I know when we perform this swap we set aside 2 weeks for it, this allows us ample time to perfect the tune, road test it and make certain it is completed to perfection. As far as someone on their own, well that depends on who the someone is
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
The dry sump always seems to be the exotic way to go. The one question is "Where would the tank and air/oil seperator fit?"
Old 02-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Chris@Livernois

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
The dry sump always seems to be the exotic way to go. The one question is "Where would the tank and air/oil seperator fit?"
The tank can be modified to fit, we actually did an LS7 swap in an F-Body a few years back (see photo below)

-Rick
Old 02-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
hmmm. I still prefer the dry sump due to the style driving I will be doing. IF the Z28 every comes out.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Yep. Foamy oil = bad.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Yep. Foamy oil = bad.
Yeah that ain't ever good lol
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@Livernois View Post
The tank can be modified to fit, we actually did an LS7 swap in an F-Body a few years back (see photo below)

-Rick
Does this mean Livernois would be willing to help?
Your install articles and hard work are very appreciated (and thank you).

Pointing out the potentially obvious here, it looks like more than a few folks here including myself are would be customers if the solution could be provided. This is especially a strong potential sale if it were to allow for the use of a s/c or t/c intercooler in the front like the Vortech or Pro Charger intercoolers. And then there are the popular filter locations. Many thing are taking up space of where (at least I could see) it would fit. If all this were to happen it would be a very diverse product that would fit any application and more people would be installing a dry sump. (That was my desired plan originally but no one has a marketed solution.) Of course I could be wrong but the general feed back here on dry sump appears to be more than just supportive.

You wouldn't have to carry any inventory. You could build to paid order and that would minimize the cost. The margin could still be there for profit and R & D cost recovery when considering a possibility of a group order.

I have looked for a solution with at least 6 or 7 of the advertised oil pan and custom billet marketers and came up empty. It is frustrating to say the least.

Please give this some consideration and thank you.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
Chris@Livernois

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
Does this mean Livernois would be willing to help?
Your install articles and hard work are very appreciated (and thank you).

Pointing out the potentially obvious here, it looks like more than a few folks here including myself are would be customers if the solution could be provided. This is especially a strong potential sale if it were to allow for the use of a s/c or t/c intercooler in the front like the Vortech or Pro Charger intercoolers. And then there are the popular filter locations. Many thing are taking up space of where (at least I could see) it would fit. If all this were to happen it would be a very diverse product that would fit any application and more people would be installing a dry sump. (That was my desired plan originally but no one has a marketed solution.) Of course I could be wrong but the general feed back here on dry sump appears to be more than just supportive.

You wouldn't have to carry any inventory. You could build to paid order and that would minimize the cost. The margin could still be there for profit and R & D cost recovery when considering a possibility of a group order.

I have looked for a solution with at least 6 or 7 of the advertised oil pan and custom billet marketers and came up empty. It is frustrating to say the least.

Please give this some consideration and thank you.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if a solution could be created that will work for every application. Depending on the setup, the tank may interfere with other items. We may look at it in the future, but have no intent to make anything like this at this time.

Thank you

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports