Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Which Axle Back Exhaust should I go with?

I got my V6 with manual trans last week. The only mods will be new mffluers and cold air intake. I want my exhaust to idle low and deep and was thinking about the MRT, SLP or Dynomax. Which is thee most bang for the buck with a deep smooth sound? Which has the best power gains?
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
Well with an axle back there will be minimum power gains, it is mainly sound... i doubt an even 5hp.. you will need a cat-back for some more power. I personally like the MRT, i was looking at the SLP but i heard some negative feedback on them. I have only heard positive on the MRT's and there are many members with them installed. I am still debating between version 1 or version 2, even though my heart is telling me version 1 and it is about $100 cheaper. So I would have to say that is a pretty good bang for the buck, an excellent sound for around, what like $400? But for a more deep smooth sound I would recommend the version 2, again only positive things I have heard even though the price is a bit higher, around $500?

and congrats on the purchase! I am from MD as well, where are you located? What intake are you looking at?

Best of luck, and happy modding!
Old 02-19-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
NoSyT
It's a Three Six, Vee Six

Drives: '12 AGM 2LT/RS & '14 Silverado LTZ
There are multiple threads on this in the V6 section. There is also a thread with just about every example you can think of.........

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33104

me personally....Injen CAI and MRT 2.0.
NoSyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

I'm near Greenbelt
Old 02-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

How much HP is that combination? Will that get you into Mustang V6 territory 1/4mi times?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
boltmark
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2 SS/RS IOM Camaro
I put a Borla cat back on my 2SS and freaking love it. The rumble in awesome. I forgot what the hell it's called but I tuned out the option of the engine dropping to four cylinders at cruising speed so there is no bog down noise. If this makes any sense?
boltmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Elykson
Custom One Off

Drives: 2010 Chicago Blackhawks Edition #1
I have SLP Loudmouth II and like it very much. Matched it with SLP Blackwing intake. Loudmouth I is louder and cheaper.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
GreenMonster
Its all about the U

Drives: 2010 SGM
magnaflow
Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
kjnylin

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black/Black Auto
MRT V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroitalia View Post
Well with an axle back there will be minimum power gains, it is mainly sound... i doubt an even 5hp.. you will need a cat-back for some more power. I personally like the MRT, i was looking at the SLP but i heard some negative feedback on them. I have only heard positive on the MRT's and there are many members with them installed. I am still debating between version 1 or version 2, even though my heart is telling me version 1 and it is about $100 cheaper. So I would have to say that is a pretty good bang for the buck, an excellent sound for around, what like $400? But for a more deep smooth sound I would recommend the version 2, again only positive things I have heard even though the price is a bit higher, around $500?

and congrats on the purchase! I am from MD as well, where are you located? What intake are you looking at?

I have to agree.

I installed the MRT V2 last week-end. (I also have the Airaid CAI). The MRT V2 has a slight drone at the 67-70 mph cruise speed but not bad at all. The V1 will be more noticeable at cruise. I love the sound when I open it up. Awesome.

Here is my before and after video if your interested.

(The sound clip in the beginning over the title pages is the MRT V2 also. I know it's not clear on the video.)
Currently the MRT V2 is on sale for $500. Reg $550. Super easy DIY install too.

Order accepted by GM, 6/15/2009
Picked up at dealer 8/21/2009
UPDATE! Purchased a 2013 ZL1 on 3/14/2015.
kjnylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Flowmaster American Thunder.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I installed my own MRT 2.0. Then took it to the people who built it and had them weld it on.

I have had many members on this and other Forums say this is one of the best sounding systems they have heard and by far the best sounding MRT 2.0 system.
Take a listen for yourself.

Listen to these thru some headphones or ear buds.

Here is a few videos for you:

This one is from inside my Camaro on the way to the dragstrip.

This one is from inside my Camaro while at the dragstrip. Sorry about the Camera tipping.

This one is one that SCRMNG filmed for me while we were at the dragstrip. the last 30 seconds is me on a single pass.

This last clip is one that danrc28 put together when visiting me to her a MRT 2.0 system. He went from Toronto to Florida and back stopping along the way picking up sound bytes. The video starts off with outside rev's, then an on ramp full throttle run, then an acceleration run from inside while talking about drone. Tape finishes with me passing the camera on the highway doing 3rd gear runs. Which has not been recorded by anyone else using the MRT (or at least I am not aware of anyone with this type of recording.) (rcat's)

Old 02-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Considered Borla axle back? I liked what I read & heard about it. Installing next week.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
Flowmaster American Thunder rocks!!! And it comes with a 10 year warranty!!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroitalia View Post

I have the MRT v1.0 installed and I have no regrets, the sound is absolutely amazing. Only problem would be the drone, but you get use to it after a while, and if you like hearing your car, it's not that bad to begin with.
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote