Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #141
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Hmmmmmmmm, going back to my dyno thread, I wonder what mine would read now?
Only 1 way to find out.... Back to the dyno with you..
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #142
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh0rsep0wer View Post
Some LS3's have reported that the fuse pull "patch" helps them. I did it last night with my LS3 and haven't noticed any real difference, but then again I never felt like the power was ever lacking.

You actually NEED it to re-learn everything to fix the problem (if yours is affected). If it's not affected, it will not hurt a thing...like I said before the effect is NO DIFFERENT than disconnecting the battery for a few hours or recovering from a dead battery...only by pulling these two fuses you don't have the annoying side effects (having to reset the window indexing, tone settings, etc.) because the BCM module and the radio never lose power...
Not exactly true. I disconnected my battery on two seperate occasions and left it disconnected all night long. It did nothing for the problem.

This is why I dismissed the fuse pull. Scott basically called me and MADE me do it. (he said if I didn't he would not be my buddy no more )

Had I not done it, my dealer would have a few days later because GM TAC called them and told them to. Only difference is here on the forum we would have had to wait for someone else to do it because the dealer would have done the reset from the inside.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #143
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
This is great stuff! It is so great to learn that irpq11 and scott@bjorn's cars have been "revived". If this is just a problem where certain ECMs are missing the code to check knock versus octane table in order to revert back then the good news is that it will be an easy "repush" of the software to the ECMs fix. If it's because some sensor is causing problems and preventing the relearn then it may take a little longer to figure out how and why but either way, it's great to know that the cars are not inherently faulty or underpowered.
DaddySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #144
c0rsa180

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM
Well I tired it on my LS3, i havent had a chance to really open it up yet but I can say I get a nice chirp going into second that I never really got before (happened at least 3 times in a row, and it generally never happened prior to this), and it really cant hurt to do this so I would recommend even if you feel the car is performing as advertised (i felt mine was) to just give it a try...

Inferno Orange Metallic
2SS
RS
M6
ordered 2/17/09
c0rsa180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #145
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
I have an LS3 and pulled mine at 5:30 pm est, it's 6:45 now. Think i'll wait a couple more hours then off i go......

btw thanks for the info!
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #146
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Does anyone know if the computer will throw a code from doing this (ECM malfunction, ECM loss of communication, etc.)? Not that it really matters (I did it anyway) but just wondering. I know in our C5 you can have the DIC display stored codes. I don't guess the Camaro has a "hidden" feature like that, does it?

Kudos guys! Great thread!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #147
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BVert View Post
Does anyone know if the computer will throw a code from doing this (ECM malfunction, ECM loss of communication, etc.)? Not that it really matters (I did it anyway) but just wondering. I know in our C5 you can have the DIC display stored codes. I don't guess the Camaro has a "hidden" feature like that, does it?

Kudos guys! Great thread!
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what does "throw a code" mean? Is this like something that shows up on a dealer's software during an inspection or something?
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #148
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what does "throw a code" mean? Is this like something that shows up on a dealer's software during an inspection or something?
I'm no expert. I only know what the forums teach me but the onboard computer can store codes that can be used for diagnostics. For example, here are some of the C5 codes:

B0851 Battery 1 Out of Range
B0856 +5 Volt Reference Out of Range
B1000 ECU Malfunction
B1001 Option Configuration Error

In the C5 Corvette, you can see code history and current codes by entering a specific sequence of buttons for the DIC. Service techs can read them by using an OBD (On Board Diagnostics I think) reader. See http://www.OBD-Codes.com for more info.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #149
ls2gto

Drives: 2009 G8GT; 2007 Lexus LS 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Not exactly true. I disconnected my battery on two seperate occasions and left it disconnected all night long. It did nothing for the problem.

This is why I dismissed the fuse pull. Scott basically called me and MADE me do it. (he said if I didn't he would not be my buddy no more )

Had I not done it, my dealer would have a few days later because GM TAC called them and told them to. Only difference is here on the forum we would have had to wait for someone else to do it because the dealer would have done the reset from the inside.
Okay, now you have me con-fuse-d and that is intended to be a pun. If Scott S. specifically told you to pull the fuses and not disconnect the battery, then I assume there is a capacitor that holds the charge on the ECM even if the battery is disconnected all night, but which is discharged if the fuses are pulled, which then forces the ECM to reset.
ls2gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #150
N2008T

Drives: 2SS RS Auto
I pulled the fuses last night and drove car this afternoon. I could never spin the tires before and let up on it today so I would not just burn them up. It also idles smoother. I thought it just was the cam because my 07 Vette with L99 ran the same. I picked up car right off carrier and drove it only .25 mile to fill with 93 octane were did my car learn this poor map it had that the fuse pull made better?
N2008T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #151
ls2gto

Drives: 2009 G8GT; 2007 Lexus LS 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2008T View Post
I pulled the fuses last night and drove car this afternoon. I could never spin the tires before and let up on it today so I would not just burn them up. It also idles smoother. I thought it just was the cam because my 07 Vette with L99 ran the same. I picked up car right off carrier and drove it only .25 mile to fill with 93 octane were did my car learn this poor map it had that the fuse pull made better?
2007 Vette had an LS2, not the L99 which is only available in the 2010 Camaro.
ls2gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #152
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2gto View Post
Okay, now you have me con-fuse-d and that is intended to be a pun. If Scott S. specifically told you to pull the fuses and not disconnect the battery, then I assume there is a capacitor that holds the charge on the ECM even if the battery is disconnected all night, but which is discharged if the fuses are pulled, which then forces the ECM to reset.
Just want to specify that Scott S. in this case is Scott Sherman (Scott@bjorn3d) and NOT Fbodfather.

I'm assuming that the battery backup charge is before the fuses in the line. All I know is that a battery disconect didn't reset the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2008T View Post
First, your 07' Vette didn't have an L99 in it, but a true LS3. The L99 is new with a different cam and AFM and such. (help me guys if I screwed that up)

But as far as what told your car to run on the low fuel table I wondered this about mine but I was able to assertain that my dealer put 3 gallons of 89 in my car off the truck. If you took yours off the truck and it never left your sight then your guess is as good as anyones.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #153
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
Well i'm back after my test run and it seemed to make a difference. It's going to take me a few drives to rule out the placebo effect, but i do feel like; much to my excitement, the car was more responsive than before.
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #154
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
OK. Call me the skeptic of this group but I just pulled my fuses. I have a 50 mile drive tomorrow morning to take the car in for a new axle back system, so I will get a chance to see if there is a difference. I knew my car came from the dealer with a tank of 87 octane (bone heads) so I REALLY babied it until it was gone. I would be surprised if I got into any knock based retard/learn but we will see. I have also put about 4 tanks of 93 octane through it since and still can't understand why this system wouldn't have learned back. I would be ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED if doesn't. That would be a major strategy flaw in the control system that I doubt exists. If I notice a difference I will fall on my sword and tell you all.

This is still a great thread with some very interesting perspectives.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote