Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

View Poll Results: Which one?
2000 Camaro SS (Pewter) 17 30.91%
2002 Camaro SS (Silver) 25 45.45%
Whoever offers better deal 13 23.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
JaxJags

Drives: 1994 Camaro Z28
Which fourth gen to buy?

Well, I'm in the market of buying a fourth gen Camaro.

But, I'm stuck between two, and I can't decide which one to go with. So, I'll see if you guys can help me decide.

First Car:

2000 Camaro SS
21,444 Miles
SLP Cold Air Induction
SLP Grille
SLP Loudmouth
Hurst Short Throw

Click Here for pictures.

Second Car:

2002 Camaro SS
17,291 Miles
SLP Blackwing Cold Air Induction
CME Exhaust
SLP Grille
Hurst Short Throw

Click Here for pictures.

Both cars have the exact same asking price. The 2000 Camaro was in excellent shape, it looked like it rolled off the showroom floor. The 2002 was nice, but it needs some work. The rear bumper (hard to see in photos) was all scratched up and needs repainting. Also, after reviewing the car, it seemed like it was in an accident. The first car drove like a dream, while the second one looked abused (even though I didn't test drive the second one yet).

Lastly, the 2000 Camaro SS' carfax indicated that there were five previous owners, while the 2002 Camaro SS' carfax indicated one owner with regularly scheduled maintenance at a Chevy dealer. I'm probably going to go with whoever gives me a better deal, but I want to see your opinions first.

Thanks
Attached Images

JaxJags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
DocHolliday

Drives: '14 Blade Silver Z51
What makes it "seem" like the 02 was in an accident?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
JaxJags

I don't think it was anything major, but the valence for the CME was off, and the rear bumper was very poor. The whole bumper was scratched up. The salesman said it came off the delivery truck like that (the first owner bought the car from the dealer selling it now).
Old 11-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Enzo

Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
looks like the only thing that would keep me away from the 2000 SS would be the 5 previous owners. Makes you wonder if there is anything wrong with the car being at that low of miles. Do you have a mechanic you trust that could take a look at it? If that checks out imo the 2000 SS is the way to go
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
JaxJags

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS CAMARO View Post
looks like the only thing that would keep me away from the 2000 SS would be the 5 previous owners. Makes you wonder if there is anything wrong with the car being at that low of miles. Do you have a mechanic you trust that could take a look at it? If that checks out imo the 2000 SS is the way to go
I was thinking the same thing. The car drove like a dream though. I'll have it checked out.

EDIT: My mistake, the car had four owners. I don't know if it would make any difference.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Carfaxes report dealerships as owners as well at times. Mine was a single owner but was in an accident. Still, it was repaired professionally (lets just say everything but the right fender on the front is from the factory..) and also shows some of those 'abuse' scars that you talk of.

I thought about it but bit the bullet. Turns out the car was just neglected rather than abused. I'd say go for the '02 blackwing LS1. It may have slightly lower miles but if it has a papertrail longer than the '00 I'd go there.

At least if something does go wrong with it you can backtrack. 4 owners could indicate possible dealer auction fodder which means many have looked but wouldn't bite because they found something wrong with it.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
JaxJags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Carfaxes report dealerships as owners as well at times. Mine was a single owner but was in an accident. Still, it was repaired professionally (lets just say everything but the right fender on the front is from the factory..) and also shows some of those 'abuse' scars that you talk of.

I thought about it but bit the bullet. Turns out the car was just neglected rather than abused. I'd say go for the '02 blackwing LS1. It may have slightly lower miles but if it has a papertrail longer than the '00 I'd go there.

At least if something does go wrong with it you can backtrack. 4 owners could indicate possible dealer auction fodder which means many have looked but wouldn't bite because they found something wrong with it.
The 2002 has a great carfax. One owner, and all the reports are just trips to the dealer for routine maintenance.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxJags View Post
The 2002 has a great carfax. One owner, and all the reports are just trips to the dealer for routine maintenance.
Exactly what mine had, and the one report "Maj acc. Drivers side dam." From the getgo the front end just didn't line up right like you said your rear bumper is.

Turns out when I took it to the dad of a highschool buddy of mine who runs his own body shop (and is a GM klepto with 4 A bodies in his shop) and he looked at it, he said it only needed a re-shimming of the headlamps (because they adjusted the unhit side wrong) and other than that it was straight as an arrow.

Also the reason my moldings and fenders are all fubar'd up is because of the material flaws from the factory. They'll never line up properly without actually working and cutting the parts to fit 'just right'.

Paint can be an issue with these cars as you probably know. Mine has horrible delamination on the deck lid and spoiler and it's just a fact of life. I just live with them and just be glad I have 1 of 504 Maple Reds made in 2000 and a great daily driver that turns heads at nearly 11 years old.

I'd honestly pick the '02 not for the carfax or the miles but what it has over the '00. Namely the fact that if the sticker on the passenger side indicated an SLP workover then it's worth the chance you take.

An '02 with 18K miles and LS6 intake coupled to a Blackwing is not something you come by once in a blue moon.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I would go with the 2002, to many owners of the 2000.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
JaxJags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
An '02 with 18K miles and LS6 intake coupled to a Blackwing is not something you come by once in a blue moon.
That's why I like the 02. The blackwing lid is rare, and I like the LS6 intake. Plus, I'm a sucker for the CME.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxJags View Post
That's why I like the 02. The blackwing lid is rare, and I like the LS6 intake. Plus, I'm a sucker for the CME.
Same reason I jumped ship for the Trans Am. I just liked the look better and passed up several Camaros including a 12K mile RS.

She was rough around the edges but I made her mine. Only thing that could make it better would be my car being an '02. But that's a simple fix..
Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
Berean

Drives: Truck
Formula Firebird
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
01 SS

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS, SLP# 110
If the prices are similar I would definately go with the '02 SS. I suggest you check the passenger side door for the SLP Alteration sticker that will confirm that it is a true SLP car with RPO Y2Y options. Another benefit of the '02 is that the cats are under a ten (10) year warranty so you'll have some warranty coverage left on the '02. If you do get it I strongly suggest you attached an exhaust hanger and clamp on each elbow just before the CME to keep it from coming loose like mine did!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
2002 all the way

anyone who says 2000 is crazy

blackwing

cme

ls6 intake

more aggressive camshaft

that and i hate the slp lid and the loudmouth exhaust is about the cheapest/worst sounding exhaust ever. lol.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote