Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Ayuir
Army EOD Tech

Drives: 2014 BRM 2SS/RS
Seven Years in the Making

I never followed cars as a kid. While growing up, my best friend's parents had two 2nd Gen Camaros in the driveway, matching his and hers green. I had no idea what they were, just cars.

Later, my first car was a Mustang. Loved it and owned it for years. It was rock solid and I loved Mustangs. Fast forward....

Seven years ago I'm in a school for the Army. Browsing around the internet I happened upon Chevy's announcement of the new concept Camaro. I still remember looking at it on the screen thinking it was the most gorgeous car I'd ever seen in my life. I knew at that point I was going to drive one, one day. I just didn't think it's be this long. So I followed the new Camaros online. In 2010 I started building them online at the Chevrolet web site. I built them online at the USAA site to see if I could get a deal. 2010, no Camaro. Life gets in the way, the wife needs a new car more than I do, etc...

2011, more build sheets with the new options.
2012, more build sheets with the new options.
2013, more build sheets with the new options.
2014, more build sheets with the new options.

In the meanwhile, life goes on and continues to keep in the way. I retire from the Army, daughter goes into high school, life stays in the way. I pick up work overseas as a contractor teaching in Afghanistan. Good pay, but tough place to buy a car. Eventually I pick up a new position back home, enough bills are paid off and my wife insists that life can't get in the way anymore; it's time to find one. But I'm still in Afghanistan.

So, I start the web search. I a perfect world I'd pick up a Blue Ray Metallic 222 1LE with all the bells and whistles, but this isn't a perfect world. Searching the web I find exactly ONE in the entire country that meets my specification, in Delaware. I live in Washington. But it's going to be a daily driver, at least if I'm not on my bike, so I "downsize" a little bit. But not too much. Looking a little harder I manage to fins a 2014 2SS/RS with sunroof and a few bells and whistles, much closer, and at a much more reasonable price.

Light's not great and she needs a bath, but I know I've found my baby.

Now all my wife has to do is go arrange for to really be mine. But, my coming home will be a surprise for our daughter so she can't bring it home as that'd be a pretty dead giveaway. So, July 20th, Moon Landing Anniversary Day (yes, it's just that big a day for me) she buys my new baby to have it shipped north.

Two days later she swings by the dealer to snap a quick photo. Yes, it's raining (go figure), but there she is, mine. And here I sit in Afghanistan :(

Soon....
Attached Images

Ayuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
Ayuir
Army EOD Tech

Hmmm, looks like if I want to embed the photos inline with the text I need to have them online already, so...
Old 07-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Sweet machine! Congrats and enjoy the beast! The blue ray metallic is sweet in the sun! I had one. It's crazy how 5 years later these cars are still stunning and has that wow factor! Nothing like them!

Last edited by Q'smuscle; 07-25-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
Ayuir
Army EOD Tech

Thanks! The only other color I considered was the Red Jewel Tintcoat, but they don't seem to make it anymore. Blue is tough to find!
Old 07-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayuir View Post
I never followed cars as a kid. While growing up, my best friend's parents had two 2nd Gen Camaros in the driveway, matching his and hers green. I had no idea what they were, just cars.

Later, my first car was a Mustang. Loved it and owned it for years. It was rock solid and I loved Mustangs. Fast forward....

Seven years ago I'm in a school for the Army. Browsing around the internet I happened upon Chevy's announcement of the new concept Camaro. I still remember looking at it on the screen thinking it was the most gorgeous car I'd ever seen in my life. I knew at that point I was going to drive one, one day. I just didn't think it's be this long. So I followed the new Camaros online. In 2010 I started building them online at the Chevrolet web site. I built them online at the USAA site to see if I could get a deal. 2010, no Camaro. Life gets in the way, the wife needs a new car more than I do, etc...

2011, more build sheets with the new options.
2012, more build sheets with the new options.
2013, more build sheets with the new options.
2014, more build sheets with the new options.

In the meanwhile, life goes on and continues to keep in the way. I retire from the Army, daughter goes into high school, life stays in the way. I pick up work overseas as a contractor teaching in Afghanistan. Good pay, but tough place to buy a car. Eventually I pick up a new position back home, enough bills are paid off and my wife insists that life can't get in the way anymore; it's time to find one. But I'm still in Afghanistan.

So, I start the web search. I a perfect world I'd pick up a Blue Ray Metallic 222 1LE with all the bells and whistles, but this isn't a perfect world. Searching the web I find exactly ONE in the entire country that meets my specification, in Delaware. I live in Washington. But it's going to be a daily driver, at least if I'm not on my bike, so I "downsize" a little bit. But not too much. Looking a little harder I manage to fins a 2014 2SS/RS with sunroof and a few bells and whistles, much closer, and at a much more reasonable price.

Light's not great and she needs a bath, but I know I've found my baby.

Now all my wife has to do is go arrange for to really be mine. But, my coming home will be a surprise for our daughter so she can't bring it home as that'd be a pretty dead giveaway. So, July 20th, Moon Landing Anniversary Day (yes, it's just that big a day for me) she buys my new baby to have it shipped north.

Two days later she swings by the dealer to snap a quick photo. Yes, it's raining (go figure), but there she is, mine. And here I sit in Afghanistan :(

Soon....
Congrats on the Camaro! I also appreciate your service too. Next time your in Chicago, I'm, sure we can arrange a burger and beer for you!
Doug
My 1 of 1 Bumblebee: Paint=House of Kolor Sunrise. Shaved door handles and concept handles added. Shark fin removed, concept mirrors, Showstoppers concept LED side marker lights. Wiper blades removed, muffler delete, and Range AFM disable. BMR springs lowered 1" rear and 1.4" front and added Eibach wheel spacers - 20mm rear and 25mm front.
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Rocki

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS RRM
Indeed, thank you for your service!!

Love the write up, great story there. Congrats on the beautiful car and for having a wonderful wife too.
Rocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Ayuir
Army EOD Tech

Thanks everyone and welcome to my thread!

Just a real quick post to make sure I know how to embed photos inline with the text. I figure I'll need to know how to do that if I expect to post any mod photos (come on, who am I kidding; of course there will be )

And that looks like it does it. Stick around, but there won't be many updates until I get home
Old 07-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
BRAVO 2SS
Aim Small...Miss Small

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Congrats! She's a beauty! Thank you for your service to our Country!!!

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
All my very best for you and your family. And the Camaro! What an inspiring story. Thanks for all you have done, working over there must have been impossible. Congrats on the car. Let any of us at C5 know if there is anything you need or any questions you may have.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Ayuir
Army EOD Tech

Question for the group out there as I pull together my "wish list."

Looking at the body color grille for the 2014s, it's a hex shaped vertically flattened mesh. Has anyone seen a lower grille using the same or similar mesh? Has anyone seen aftermarket mesh fitting the same pattern?
Old 07-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
Ayuir
Army EOD Tech

Still deciding what to do when I get home. First is just to drive a bit and get used to her. She needs a name but needs to be driven first; all my cars have been named, but they earn them, like nicknames.

After that, I'm fairly certain I'll start with blacking out, chrome and lights all around. Mats and such to keep her clean. CAI and/or new exhaust fairly early. I'm toying with black paint but need to see her in person to decide if my idea will work well. Any ground effects will need to be done before painting. Might involve the wheels as well, but we'll see. Couple of ideas for the interior as well but want to keep it understated, tasteful if you will. There have been a lot of over the top interior schemes that look really good, particularly in brighter colors, but a more understated exterior color deserves a more muted interior treatment.

I've been looking at ideas for the last three years, now it's time to execute.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayuir View Post
Still deciding what to do when I get home. First is just to drive a bit and get used to her. She needs a name but needs to be driven first; all my cars have been named, but they earn them, like nicknames.

After that, I'm fairly certain I'll start with blacking out, chrome and lights all around. Mats and such to keep her clean. CAI and/or new exhaust fairly early. I'm toying with black paint but need to see her in person to decide if my idea will work well. Any ground effects will need to be done before painting. Might involve the wheels as well, but we'll see. Couple of ideas for the interior as well but want to keep it understated, tasteful if you will. There have been a lot of over the top interior schemes that look really good, particularly in brighter colors, but a more understated exterior color deserves a more muted interior treatment.

I've been looking at ideas for the last three years, now it's time to execute.
Start small! It can get over whelming and pricey fast. Decide what is most important to you and start there whether it be cosmetic, performance, or other.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:19 AM   #13
Ayuir
Army EOD Tech

Talking

My wife signed the registration and scheduled the dealer prep/detailing last night. I'm now the official owner of a new Camaro!

My trip home is all scheduled so I'll be picking her up soon!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:26 AM   #14
ntmad8tr
Music City Camaro Club

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Spring Special Edition
From one Retiree to another, I salute you. Thank you for your service. Welcome aboard and enjoy your ride.
EMC(SS) USN RET. 2014 2SS Spring Special Edition,1 of 293. Cold Air Inc. CAI,Apex Catch Can, Kooks 1-7/8" headers, Kooks HF Cats, X-pipe, Kooks mufflers,Graphite, BMR Toe links, BMR rear trailing arms, MRR228s,RGB ORACLE Colorshift Halos, RGB LED Engine bay and Grille lighting, Diode Dynamics RGB Fog Lights. NightOwl LED control system. Painted engine cover by S.L. Customs. River Cities Creations painted strut brace. My Build Thread
ntmad8tr is offline   Reply With Quote