Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
Camaro117

Drives: Yellow 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Are GM factory stripes covered by factory warranty?

So today as I washing my car I noticed two small little chips in my stripes, on my hood. this makes me so mad because I havent had the car very long, and I baby it so much...its a 2012 but I sill have the factory 3yrs / 36k miles, bumper to bumper warranty, surely this would be covered? Ive seen some say yes and some say no... These stripes were installed from the factory not at the dealer... if that makes a difference. A couple months ago the dealer replaced my bumper ss emblem cause it was peeling, this would kinda fall in the same category wouldn't it? Anyone give me a for sure answer? thanks Ill try and post a pic later.
Camaro117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
What do you mean by chips? If they are stone chips they would not be covered.
motorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
Camaro117

here is a pic theres some lint on my stripes so it maybe hard to see but its the two spots in the iddle you maybe able to see the yellow paint, idk if they are rock chips or just chips...
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2015, 01:43 AM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Normal wear n tear will not be covered.
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:45 AM   #5
Camaro117

then how are other people getting their stripes covered? and if they arent covered what do i do?
Old 10-18-2015, 05:05 AM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You can sure try. Others, I'm sure, are due to faulty installations. I'm only guessing here, but yours looks like normal wear....I.e. , rock chips etc. If it were that easy to cover under warranty, most of us would have new cars or paint jobs every year. I wish I could warrant my front facial.....but road damage from simply driving my car ain't gonna float. Not to mention.....some people tend to stretch the truth.
good luck.
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
Oogabooga

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Satin Black
They are rock chips, it will not be covered.

However, if it bothers you that much you can buy a sample piece of 3M 1080 matte black vinyl off EBay for a couple bucks. Take that sample piece and cut tiny pieces to cover the yellow. You won't even notice it and yellow will not show through.

I do this all the time. My entire car is yellow so any chips on the bumper I just patch up. I know they are there and cannot see them. Your other option is to redo the stripes. OR you couple tape around the chips and plastidip it.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
Camaro117

thank you all for the info, I may try to go to my dealer and see if theyre covered... Ive read a few things saying factory stripes are covered by the bumper to bumper so we will see... I just dont see how these are rock chips you cant tell but this is like the middle-uper part of the stripe closer to the windshield how rocks got up that far beats me. the car is 2.5 years old sure the stripes can last longer than that... But if they wont fix it then I guess Ill patch it up till I can get new stripes

Also, say I order some of the oem stripes from like gm part direct, will the dealer install them for me? or Do i have to buy them from the dealer?
Old 10-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Camaro117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
You can sure try. Others, I'm sure, are due to faulty installations. I'm only guessing here, but yours looks like normal wear....I.e. , rock chips etc. If it were that easy to cover under warranty, most of us would have new cars or paint jobs every year. I wish I could warrant my front facial.....but road damage from simply driving my car ain't gonna float. Not to mention.....some people tend to stretch the truth.
good luck.
Amen to the front facial!!! Wish you could arrant that
Old 10-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro117 View Post
thank you all for the info, I may try to go to my dealer and see if theyre covered... Ive read a few things saying factory stripes are covered by the bumper to bumper so we will see... I just dont see how these are rock chips you cant tell but this is like the middle-uper part of the stripe closer to the windshield how rocks got up that far beats me. the car is 2.5 years old sure the stripes can last longer than that... But if they wont fix it then I guess Ill patch it up till I can get new stripes

Also, say I order some of the oem stripes from like gm part direct, will the dealer install them for me? or Do i have to buy them from the dealer?
Save yourself a trip. How do you suggest that holes in the stripes that look like rock chips are a DEFECT in the stripes? The warranty covers DEFECTIVE parts- not things that are caused by just using it. Otherwise I'd have new tires under 3/36 warranty and new paint on the front bumper every year... not to mention the curb rash on my wheel.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote