Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2023, 03:58 PM   #1
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
What coilovers are you using and how would you rate them?

Hey Guys,
We have 2014 SS in the shop today getting a pair of the MEGAN Racing coilovers installed and taking a look at this kit we have been pretty impressed upon the initial unboxing.
What are you guys running and how have your kits fared over time? Are you happy with the ride quality? How is everybody setting up their Coilovers. How low and what dampening set up? We like our coilovers for a daily around 1" to 1.25" lowered and just past the half way mark on the dampening with little to no (depending on manufacturer) Preload.
And what are the pros and cons of the coilover kits you are using.

We would love to hear your feedback on what kits you chose and what helped you make that choice.
Again just a few bullet points

• Submodel (V6, SS, ZL1) -
  • Brand -
  • Pros and Cons -
  • what made them attractive -
  • Do you like it or not -
Thanks everyone and Happy Motoring!
Old 09-29-2023, 06:05 PM   #2
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
I got a set Pedders Xa coilovers back in November 2011. They ended up lowering my car by about 1.25"..which to me, is that perfect sweet spot in ride height.
  • Submodel (V6, SS, ZL1) -SS
  • Brand -Pedders eXtreme XA
  • Pros and Cons -Most of the pros I find is just for going with coilovers in general - Infinite adjustability without sacrificing ride quality. The only con I can think of is adjusting the rear damping can be a pain since I have to slide under the car to get to the knob.
  • what made them attractive -For starters, there weren't as many options back then, but the red springs matched the rest of my red suspension upgrades nicely.
  • Do you like it or not -Yes, overall I am very happy with them.

They have been holding up very well. However, I did notice this past year when lifting the car up in the air, the springs would drop down causing a loud thud...which would nearly give me a heart attack because I thought the car was falling off the lift. Once I installed my strut tower brace, it appears to have resolved the issue.

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 11:03 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I am running the Megan Racing - EZ I Series Coilovers. I have had great luck with them since I installed them over 3 years ago. Great ride on all settings, and I run on the hardest settings (that's how I like it). She handles like on rails, and I don't even have aftermarket sways or links yet. No bouncing. I lowered it over 1.5 inches, factory preload. Only downside so far is that I cannot get my rear camber where I want it (she's a little negative), but I just need to get some new camber bolts so that's expected.

I did not want to have to get under the car for rear adjustments, so I cut 2 holes in my trunk for the adjustment extensions and they came out perfect. I know that's not for everyone. Also changed all 4 mounts while I was in there.

I 'heard' the Megans were manufactured in the same facility as the BC Racing coilovers, but I have absolutely no idea how accurate that is. What I do know is that they are very similar in design and a good quality part for the price. If I had the money I probably would have gone with BC Racing or Pedders, but these fit the bill at the time and they really have been great. No regrets and a definite noticeable upgrade.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 09-29-2023 at 11:18 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 07:50 AM   #4
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
I got a set of BC-ER coilovers back in 2016 when I built my car. They are prob a step up from the Megan's, and also the BR's since they have the remote reservoir.

Submodel (V6, SS, ZL1) -SS
Brand BC-ER
Pros- The ability to dial in exactly how much to lower the car, since stance is a key visual factor. And then the ER's are adjustable for jounce/rebound.
Cons - my ER shocks had the Reservoir integrated (mounted) to the shock body (prob a early version), and the hydraulic hose interfered with the BMR LCA, and I had to grind out slots for clearance. Dialing them in is an involved process, but worth it. The ride, at any adjustment, is "agressive", but my car also has full suspension upgrades and 22" W/T's, so yeah it is going to be a little harsher. Not a daily driver so who cares.
What made them attractive - They are a great looking shock, and coupled with Moreno Camber Plates in the front, and bushings & better Sway's, they make for a excellent suspension upgrade.
Do you like it or not -Yes, overall I am very happy with them. They are a big $$ item, and the ER's are probably right in the middle of all the C/O's out there.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 05:10 PM   #5
Sales@Phastek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I got a set Pedders Xa coilovers back in November 2011. They ended up lowering my car by about 1.25"..which to me, is that perfect sweet spot in ride height.
  • Submodel (V6, SS, ZL1) -SS
  • Brand -Pedders eXtreme XA
  • Pros and Cons -Most of the pros I find is just for going with coilovers in general - Infinite adjustability without sacrificing ride quality. The only con I can think of is adjusting the rear damping can be a pain since I have to slide under the car to get to the knob.
  • what made them attractive -For starters, there weren't as many options back then, but the red springs matched the rest of my red suspension upgrades nicely.
  • Do you like it or not -Yes, overall I am very happy with them.

They have been holding up very well. However, I did notice this past year when lifting the car up in the air, the springs would drop down causing a loud thud...which would nearly give me a heart attack because I thought the car was falling off the lift. Once I installed my strut tower brace, it appears to have resolved the issue.

Hey Bee!

Thank you for your feed back! Pedders are another great option. We are usually tied between pedders and BC as far as what we see people go after.
Was the noise you were hearing in the front? We have heard of this on cars without strut tower braces in stalled. They don't always move like that but when they do can be a suprise!

Thanks again and happy motoring!

- Sean
Old 10-03-2023, 05:52 PM   #6
Sales@Phastek

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I am running the Megan Racing - EZ I Series Coilovers. I have had great luck with them since I installed them over 3 years ago. Great ride on all settings, and I run on the hardest settings (that's how I like it). She handles like on rails, and I don't even have aftermarket sways or links yet. No bouncing. I lowered it over 1.5 inches, factory preload. Only downside so far is that I cannot get my rear camber where I want it (she's a little negative), but I just need to get some new camber bolts so that's expected.

I did not want to have to get under the car for rear adjustments, so I cut 2 holes in my trunk for the adjustment extensions and they came out perfect. I know that's not for everyone. Also changed all 4 mounts while I was in there.

I 'heard' the Megans were manufactured in the same facility as the BC Racing coilovers, but I have absolutely no idea how accurate that is. What I do know is that they are very similar in design and a good quality part for the price. If I had the money I probably would have gone with BC Racing or Pedders, but these fit the bill at the time and they really have been great. No regrets and a definite noticeable upgrade.
Hey @InFiD3ViL

Thank you for your response! We are glad to hear you have had a good experience with the MEGAN coilovers! It sounds like the settings you dialed in provide the ideal "spirited driving" experience!

At 1.5 some camber bolts would definitely help you out on that alignment. We installed some on our shop Camaro front and rear.

We also cut the holes in the trunk on this install and provided two piece removable caps since the end user decided against the extensions. (Photo below shows caps with center section off)

Thank you again for providing your experience! It sounds like your choice on the MEGAN really did fit the bill!

-Sean
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2023, 06:08 PM   #7
Sales@Phastek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
I got a set of BC-ER coilovers back in 2016 when I built my car. They are prob a step up from the Megan's, and also the BR's since they have the remote reservoir.

Submodel (V6, SS, ZL1) -SS
Brand BC-ER
Pros- The ability to dial in exactly how much to lower the car, since stance is a key visual factor. And then the ER's are adjustable for jounce/rebound.
Cons - my ER shocks had the Reservoir integrated (mounted) to the shock body (prob a early version), and the hydraulic hose interfered with the BMR LCA, and I had to grind out slots for clearance. Dialing them in is an involved process, but worth it. The ride, at any adjustment, is "agressive", but my car also has full suspension upgrades and 22" W/T's, so yeah it is going to be a little harsher. Not a daily driver so who cares.
What made them attractive - They are a great looking shock, and coupled with Moreno Camber Plates in the front, and bushings & better Sway's, they make for a excellent suspension upgrade.
Do you like it or not -Yes, overall I am very happy with them. They are a big $$ item, and the ER's are probably right in the middle of all the C/O's out there.
Hey @hesster

Thanks for posting and providing the photos! That is an amazing set up. I have heard nothing but great things about the ERs. BC Racing in general seem to have great quality control across their line up.

You are right stance is key to consider when shopping for any coilover so adjustability really does make or break some options. It sounds like you got the complete set up on your ride and great styling too, your Camaro looks awesome!

Thank you for your input hesster. Drive safe out there!
Old 10-03-2023, 08:53 PM   #8
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@Phastek View Post
Hey Bee!

Thank you for your feed back! Pedders are another great option. We are usually tied between pedders and BC as far as what we see people go after.
Was the noise you were hearing in the front? We have heard of this on cars without strut tower braces in stalled. They don't always move like that but when they do can be a suprise!

- Sean
Yes, it would only happen on the front, about 20-30 seconds after it was up in air...or just around the time I would start to get under the car.

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:38 PM   #9
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Submodel (V6, SS, ZL1) - SS
Brand - BC Racing Coilovers Br Style
Pros and Cons -
Pros
- Great adjustability
- Mid-range price point
- Quality materials
- Improved ride quality over stock
Cons
-I come from the world of non-adjustable suspension in the thirdgen world, so it has taken some time to get used to adjusting all the different components.
what made them attractive - Price point, Out of the box kit. easy adjustments
Do you like it or not - I love them. Got a nice discount buying from Phastek too. I am very happy with my purchase. Phastek also shipped my coilovers within the same day of ordering them and I had them a day later.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 05:36 PM   #10
Sales@Phastek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
Brand - BC Racing Coilovers Br Style
Pros and Cons -
Pros
- Great adjustability
- Mid-range price point
- Quality materials
- Improved ride quality over stock
Cons
-I come from the world of non-adjustable suspension in the thirdgen world, so it has taken some time to get used to adjusting all the different components.
what made them attractive - Price point, Out of the box kit. easy adjustments
Do you like it or not - I love them. Got a nice discount buying from Phastek too. I am very happy with my purchase. Phastek also shipped my coilovers within the same day of ordering them and I had them a day later.
@The_bald_eagle_machine
Thank you for your feedback Anthony! BC Racing makes such a solid option and we are very happy to hear you had a great buying experience and that we were able to help out!

I checked out your build page, you have an awesome looking Camaro. I really like the racing stripe and interior matching. Also great job on your documenting the air scoop install. We couldn't have done better our selves.

-Sean
Old 11-13-2023, 02:42 AM   #11
MakeShift1LE

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT
Brand - BC BR
Pros:
-Drastically Improves the handling of your car
-Decent price at around $1000
-Quality Material and Looks
-Lowered car to deserved ride height
Cons :
-Rear adjustability
what made them attractive - Price point & reading the reviews.
Do you like it or not - I love my BC Coils and highly recommend them to anyone interested in buying coilovers for any car.
MakeShift1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 07:34 AM   #12
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Great Thread. Subbed.