Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-21-2023, 06:09 AM   #15
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
I would pull the head & hope there is part of the bolt above the block surface. With some luck it should come out easily. I'm sure you are trying to save the other bolts & gasket but you will want thoroughly to check the hole & threads for debris or it might happen again.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 06:47 AM   #16
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
I would pull the head & hope there is part of the bolt above the block surface. With some luck it should come out easily. I'm sure you are trying to save the other bolts & gasket but you will want thoroughly to check the hole & threads for debris or it might happen again.
TBH, I never considered the possibility that he didn't pull the head before trying to extract the bolt.

You are absolutely correct, that pulling the head will make this tons easier.
Old 11-21-2023, 08:06 AM   #17
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I read once that a broken bolt loses it tightened torque value in the threaded hole once snapped. It sounded like it was feasible but if true, why are the damn things always still tight? Can it be shocked loose?

Long shot, but since aluminum expands quicker than steel, could heating the block near the bolt help to loosen it up? (assuming you get the easy out out of it) Just spitballing here...
Old 11-21-2023, 08:15 AM   #18
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post
TBH, I never considered the possibility that he didn't pull the head before trying to extract the bolt.

You are absolutely correct, that pulling the head will make this tons easier.
I guess that is how I read it. He really didn't specify if it was removed. If so then yeah it's not a good situation.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote