Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2023, 09:56 PM   #1
jesse121pm

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss 45th anniversary
Drivetrain Problems

So I have had this 2012 2ss m6 for a while now. It is an amazing car except for one problem. WHEELHOP. It has 105k miles on it and I am planning on getting BC racing coilovers, DSS aluminum driveshaft, and when I get the money the George Renegade axles. For the time being, I have an OEM passenger axle that was replaced by my dealer when I got the car and an O'Riley axle. Guess which one breaks all the time, you guessed it the O'Rileys axle. So I am wondering if it is an upgrade to try to find some OEM axles on eBay or just wait until I can get the money to get the Geforce axles. Also, I like to drive my cars, I don't mind beating up on them every once in a while, when I say that I just mean a burnout once every blue moon or doing a couple of donuts which I think this car should be able to handle. I blew the spidergear in the car when I bought it at 86k miles, I did everything correctly to do the burnout but I know the rear ends are the most reliable in these cars. So I am wondering what is the best bang for the buck for the rear-end upgrade and also the axle upgrade. I am set on getting the DSS Aluminum driveshaft but I don't want to part with the money for the Gforce axles yet. Also, what can I do to help the wheel hop or will the coilovers and axles help? Thank you sorry for the long text I have just been stressing about this for a while now.
jesse121pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 10:45 PM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
The oem axles are far superior to the cheap axles from the parts stores. But it will be hard to find an oem axle right now. Check carparts.com, amazon, and summit.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 10:49 PM   #3
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
To eliminate wheelhop I recommend you address the wheel hop first. Throwing expensive parts at the problem because they can handle the abuse wont fix the wheel hop issue. Stronger axles, better driveshaft design and coilovers won't actually eliminate the wheel hop issue. They will just last longer.

Most people swear the poly or cradle issues solve the wheel hop by themselves. I went with Poly. Also, consider upgrading your rear suspension components such as lower control arms, camber arms, and caster arms... Those also help tremendously with wheel hop. I have all of the above and can launch my 530rwhp car all day with no wheel hop whatsoever.

Also, I would recommend finding some OEM axles, even used they are better then most of the aftermarket replacements.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 11:44 PM   #4
jesse121pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
To eliminate wheelhop I recommend you address the wheel hop first. Throwing expensive parts at the problem because they can handle the abuse wont fix the wheel hop issue. Stronger axles, better driveshaft design and coilovers won't actually eliminate the wheel hop issue. They will just last longer.

Most people swear the poly or cradle issues solve the wheel hop by themselves. I went with Poly. Also, consider upgrading your rear suspension components such as lower control arms, camber arms, and caster arms... Those also help tremendously with wheel hop. I have all of the above and can launch my 530rwhp car all day with no wheel hop whatsoever.

Also, I would recommend finding some OEM axles, even used they are better then most of the aftermarket replacements.
I have bmr toe rods and trailing arms right now. But will look into other stuff
Old 11-13-2023, 07:15 AM   #5
Pkeen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs, 2008 Avalanche
As mentioned above, cradle bushings either polly or solid are a must and should be the first thing done! I'm using BMR polly with the inner spacer shortened .100 to make them even tighter, as well as there toe rods and trailing arms and haven't had a wheel hop issue since !
2010 Rally Yellow 2ss/rs , M6 ,416ci , K1 rods & crank,weisco -3.0cc dome pistons,.040 head gasket, 11.5 compression,1 3/4" LT ,3" pipes w/x-pipe no cats, Cam Motion cam 239/247 113+3 .621"/604" lift , BTR .660 Platinum dual springs w/Titanium retainers, CAI . Stock ls3 heads,intake,injectors & TB. 515rwhp/500rwtq.
Pkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 07:24 AM   #6
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I used the bmr poly bushings, trailing arms, and toe rods. It completely got rid of my wheel hop.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:35 AM   #7
Leadsled

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6MT
Quote:

I couldnt agree more. I would start with rear trailing and toe arms along with diff and subframe bushings. OEM axles if you can find them (axles have bearings in the cv joint that wear out over time. This fixed my drivetrain vibration)
Old 11-13-2023, 10:55 AM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
My Camaro suspension is all stock still, except for the Pfadt lowering springs. Back when I did address my wheel hop issue I chatted with Jordan at JDP Motorsports as they have several Camaros and Vettes they track all the time. He suggested that I go with the solid cradle mounts. I installed the Pegasus ones and have never had any wheel hop again to this day! They have been in for about 5-6 years now.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:47 AM   #9
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Trailing arms. That’s what you want. It’ll eliminate it with a set of BMRs

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 06:52 PM   #10
jesse121pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Trailing arms. That’s what you want. It’ll eliminate it with a set of BMRs
I have trailing arms and toe rods both bmr didnt fix a thing
Old 11-13-2023, 06:54 PM   #11
jesse121pm

Quote:

I found one left one on ebay for $130, I just got my right one replaced 10k miles ago with an oem one at the dealership. Should I get just the left one that has 16k miles for $130 or 2 oem ones both sides with 65k miles for $170?
Old 11-14-2023, 08:22 AM   #12
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse121pm View Post
And that makes sense - because until you control the movement of the rear subframe everything bolted to it is still subject to it's movement. Rear subframe bushings are a MUST do on M6 5th gens, especially 2010-2011 cars which have the softer bushings to begin with. There isn't much good you can expect from trailing arms, toe rods, etc until that subframe is well controlled.

Diff bushing would be stop #2. Once you've got the subframe and diff well controlled you'll find the wheelhop is much better controlled, and the other suspension components are really not so bad. Worth upgrading at some point, but not priority items. FWIW, my M6 car goes 1.5x 60' times on stock suspension, other than solid sub-frame bushings and diff bushing.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 08:41 AM   #13
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
And that makes sense - because until you control the movement of the rear subframe everything bolted to it is still subject to it's movement. Rear subframe bushings are a MUST do on M6 5th gens, especially 2010-2011 cars which have the softer bushings to begin with. There isn't much good you can expect from trailing arms, toe rods, etc until that subframe is well controlled.

Diff bushing would be stop #2. Once you've got the subframe and diff well controlled you'll find the wheelhop is much better controlled, and the other suspension components are really not so bad. Worth upgrading at some point, but not priority items. FWIW, my M6 car goes 1.5x 60' times on stock suspension, other than solid sub-frame bushings and diff bushing.
As always, awesome info Andrew!!
Old 11-15-2023, 05:38 AM   #14
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse121pm View Post
Funny. That’s ALL i changed on mine? And the tires stick the to the road. No more wheel hop for me.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axles, diff, driveshaft, problem