Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
JAG836

Drives: 1991 Cadillac DeVille
Question Accessories and Violating the Warranty

I'll be new to the process of leasing (much more likely than buying) a car when it comes time for the Camaro to hit the dealers. My current car was handed down to me from the family.

I'm just curious, which accessories will void the warrany on a new car? Do only certain types of aftermarket parts void it (ex. performance, body, or audio system) or do all of them?

I believe, and please correct me if I'm wrong , that GM performance parts will not affect the warranty and can even be grouped into the monthly payment. If I choose to add some non-GM accessory, will a dealer allow it? I want to know if I'll be limited to what GM has to offer.
JAG836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I believe that GMMG parts won't void the warranty ONLY if you have them installed by the dealer before you take delivery.

As per the rest, it alllll depends.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Tag is basically right....

There are some aftermarket parts that will void your warranty...more specifically, part of your warranty. If you put on one of these performance parts (like a supercharger) it will likely void any warranty coverage for engine repairs for example, but it will not void your entire bumper-to-bumper coverage...basically, things unaffected by your aftermarket parts will likely, still be covered. Still no guarantee though.

Best bet is to check with your dealer or GM before adding anything if that's a concern for you.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Your warranty is only void if the thing that you install breaks something else.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It's been said elsewhere, but the LAW says that it has to be proven the aftermarket part is the cause of the failure, but I'm going to play it safe, and try to stay with OEM upgrades, within reason.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Okay seeing as I'm pretty new to this whole car guy thing bear with me and answer me this: how about exhaust upgrades? I mean sure the car will probably sound nice to start with but what if i want it to sound like an even bigger monster?
Old 04-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It's my understanding Chrysler will "void" a warranty for any aftermarket part; even a catback. As far as GM, I haven't heard anything like this.

I'm sure GM is going to offer intake and catbacks for these cars, and in this case, I'm sure there will be no worry of "voided" warranties. If you start adding headers and such, that may be another story...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I doubt you will be able to do much if you are leasing. And I assume that everything that is done would need to be undone at the end of the term. I could be wrong on all that though.

I'm going to buy, not lease and I don't know a whole lot about what you can and can't do. I'm sure you have your reasons for leasing so I won't commnent.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
It's always been my understanding that you can't do ANYTHING to your car (unless it's something offered at time of purchase) when you're leasing.

Unless you can easily undo it (in a way they never even know) whenever you have to take it in for service and at the end of the lease.

I'd like to lease, and actually planned on leasing my next vehicle. But when I heard the Camaro was coming back, I knew I'd want to own it.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
JAG836

Drives: 1991 Cadillac DeVille
Thanks for all the input guys! It definitely has helped.

I have a subwoofer and amp, possibly a headunit (if the headunit in the Camaro doesn't have a subwoofer output in the back) I want to transfer to the Camaro from my current car. Can dealers do/allow this with a leased car?

Is there a big difference in terms of payments with a bought or leased car?
JAG836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
It's been said elsewhere, but the LAW says that it has to be proven the aftermarket part is the cause of the failure, but I'm going to play it safe, and try to stay with OEM upgrades, within reason.
Yeah—I'm probably the one that said it. When I was a frequent member of the Cobalt forums, I said that at least 100 times. I should probably add it to my signature.

Stop worrying about your warranty. Just worry about passing the person in the lane next to you. If you have half a brain*, you probably won't break anything.

*qualities of someone with half a brain: does some research on parts they install, hire someone to do it if they can't do it themselves, get parts for their car instead of someone else's, can drive, can drive fast, can beat a Honda in a footrace
Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG836 View Post

I have a subwoofer and amp, possibly a headunit (if the headunit in the Camaro doesn't have a subwoofer output in the back) I want to transfer to the Camaro from my current car. Can dealers do/allow this with a leased car?

If the car you are leasing doesn't have an RCA output behind the stereo (which it most likely won't), you can remove the stereo and put an inline RCA jack from ....circuit city, best buy, etc in the positive's of the outgoing speaker wires. Hook up your RCA's from that to you your AMP and vua-la! You are good to go for your stereo. It won't have any affect on your stereo other than some serious loud bassing. And, I imagine this could void the warranty on the stereo ALONE...so nothing major there.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
The_Blur

Quote:

JL has made a unit that lets you keep the stock appearance while using aftermarket radio quality and outputs so you can have everything you want and no one will see it and jack it from you.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #14
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Lease payments are generally cheaper, but total cost of ownership can be cheaper on a purchase.

Don't pour money (or stuff you already have that's worth money) into a lease unless you plan to removing it before returning the car and using it in your next car. It's my understanding that in most cases, they will accept a modified lease back as long as it's in decently saleable condition, but you're still just giving that stuff away. Lease it, drive it like it's stolen, and return it looking stock.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote