Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #351
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Little update on this old thread, I figure it's worth a little FYI since a lot of people on this forum have SOLO cats installed.

So I went catless recently and discovered a few things. My passenger side cat was moving around (something it didnt do when they were new). I could tip the pipe up and down and each time it would clunk. Driver side cat sounded like there were rocks in it. So I tipped it up and down a few times and metal came out. Pretty sure that this is was the cat failing. The metal was clearly apart of the catalytic converter cell. Picture below.

I think I have about 30k miles on these, have no FI
Could you hear any noises inside the car from either Cat ? Strange you could tip the passenger side pipe up and down, kind of suggests the welds had weakened
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:27 PM   #352
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Could you hear any noises inside the car from either Cat ? Strange you could tip the passenger side pipe up and down, kind of suggests the welds had weakened
They sounded no different from the day I put them on to the day I took them off.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #353
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
my solos have that sliding section in them also it was not effecting anything and made great bolt on no tune hp of 420 on the dyno
now have long tubes but may re install to get better ground clearance as i plan on dropping lower yet
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #354
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Nope, I had zero issues with them. Just found it interesting that the one cat moved around and that pieces of the cat were falling out.
Good to know!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #355
ss camaro-monte

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss, 87 monte ss
Resurrecting an old thread but my 2015 L99 threw a code with the solo high flows as soon as I put them on. Then I cleared the code and it came back after about 600 miles. Just ordered the big daddy angled extenders. We will see if they work.
ss camaro-monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #356
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss camaro-monte View Post
Resurrecting an old thread but my 2015 L99 threw a code with the solo high flows as soon as I put them on. Then I cleared the code and it came back after about 600 miles. Just ordered the big daddy angled extenders. We will see if they work.
They will, but you may get another code after you put them on if you add them to the Solo provider extender, which is ezer to do rather than removing the Solo extender.

I got a code when I first added the BigDaddies to the Solo extenders but it was a different code than the one I got before I put on the Big Daddies. It was a P013f for the rear O2 sensor something like "O2 sensor delayed response". Guess it had to do with having two extenders on it. I cleared it and it never came back again. Post back with your results.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #357
jim's2ssrs

Drives: 2011 2SS RS LS3 Rally Yellow
Quote:
Little update on this old thread, I figure it's worth a little FYI since a lot of people on this forum have SOLO cats installed.

So I went catless recently and discovered a few things. My passenger side cat was moving around (something it didnt do when they were new). I could tip the pipe up and down and each time it would clunk. Driver side cat sounded like there were rocks in it. So I tipped it up and down a few times and metal came out. Pretty sure that this is was the cat failing. The metal was clearly apart of the catalytic converter cell. Picture below.

I think I have about 30k miles on these, have no FI
Did you contact Solo about this?
jim's2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #358
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim's2ssrs View Post
Did you contact Solo about this?
No, They are off the car and will never go back on.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #359
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
They will, but you may get another code after you put them on if you add them to the Solo provider extender, which is ezer to do rather than removing the Solo extender.

I got a code when I first added the BigDaddies to the Solo extenders but it was a different code than the one I got before I put on the Big Daddies. It was a P013f for the rear O2 sensor something like "O2 sensor delayed response". Guess it had to do with having two extenders on it. I cleared it and it never came back again. Post back with your results.
I have had both on mine since day 1, put the solo extenders on, then added the angled ones after that and never had an issue. I went with this process as most have had success with it from within this thread back in the day when we were relevant, lol
Old 02-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #360
ss camaro-monte

Yes, I called solo. They were nice but he said it was more than likely a small exhaust leak. I already ordered the Big Daddy angled extensions yesterday. Took the car in today and they couldn't find an exhaust leak at the shop. They even pulled and checked the gaskets. They looked fine.

I am convinced just like others that it is the 14-15 ecu is slightly different in calibration and it throws codes.

The funny thing is when I first put the high flows on it threw a code immediately. Then I cleared the code with the hand held. It came back in 2 days.Same code 4020, so I unplugged the battery and then it didn't come back for 5 weeks(700 miles roughly). I figured by then it was out of it's "cycle" I forget what you call it. The guy at solo said the same thing after 5 or 6 drives it should be done.

I thought if it was going to come on again it would be within 5 or so engine cycles and I only drive 12 miles each way to work everyday for a total of 24. I must have stopped, started and driven the car on over 30 trips before it came back and even made one trip that was 40+ miles each way and it didn't come on until 2 days ago.

I will keep you updated. Big daddy extensions come in on Friday.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #361
ss camaro-monte

So far so good. 300 miles and no cel.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #362
Shutudwn

Drives: 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
Mine were on and off my car pretty quickly. Too expensive, not loud enough, CEL still comes on. I replaced them with BBK O/R pipes and a tune from RDP. Perfect if you don't have to worry about emissions.
Shutudwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #363
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
if anyone wants to buy I have a package of new o2 extensions that stopped the code for my 15 ss when i installed ,also have the solo high flows and jba shorties available
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote