Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #1
Macario Marino

Drives: 2012 IOM camaro
Exclamation Cleaned throttle body now idle surges

Hey guys i cleaned my throttle body today and the MAF sensor and after installing everthing back on the car surges really bad and sorta stabilizes after a while but if i leave the car off for a while and come back to it and start it it surges again ive tried unhooking the battery to see if it would reset the computer and nothing any help would be appreciated btw i have an lfx v6 thank you
Macario Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #2
Codiath
brakes for squirrels

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Have you double checked all the intake connections to make sure they are properly seated/sealed?
Codiath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
radar1972

Drives: 2012 IOM SS/RS
^
Ditto. Especially in PCV connections.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #4

Drives: 2010 Camaro
What did you use to clean the MAF?
205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
I have this issue with the 80mm throttle body installed. Has anyone managed to kill the surge? I have read stories where even the Overkill tune did not smooth it.

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Several years back I was detailing my wife's GMC Denali when I noticed the throttle body was kind of nasty with black carbon. The vehicle ran perfect but I didn't like the dirty throttle body. I had some throttle body/carburetor cleaner that I sprayed her down with. God did she come clean, looked like the day she rolled of the assembly line.

Next day we were driving to Lowe's when the vehicle suddenly went into the "LIMP" mode, of course just as I was trying to blend into faster traffic.

Went directly to Parker GMC in Morehead City, NC. About ten minutes after she went on the lift the technician came out to speak with me. He asked me; "what did you try and clean the throttle body with"? I told him and he replied; "shouldn't have done that you wrecked the throttle body, need a new one I am afraid"!

Last time I do that trick.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
you need to do an idle learn. also you have to be careful what you use in cleaning the throttle body, see service manual. mass air flow sensor is a sensitive sensor I would never clean mine. why would you clean it?
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
Several years back I was detailing my wife's GMC Denali when I noticed the throttle body was kind of nasty with black carbon. The vehicle ran perfect but I didn't like the dirty throttle body. I had some throttle body/carburetor cleaner that I sprayed her down with. God did she come clean, looked like the day she rolled of the assembly line.

Next day we were driving to Lowe's when the vehicle suddenly went into the "LIMP" mode, of course just as I was trying to blend into faster traffic.

Went directly to Parker GMC in Morehead City, NC. About ten minutes after she went on the lift the technician came out to speak with me. He asked me; "what did you try and clean the throttle body with"? I told him and he replied; "shouldn't have done that you wrecked the throttle body, need a new one I am afraid"!

Last time I do that trick.

Did you clean with CRC Throttle Body Cleaner? Did you also disconnect and remove before cleaning? MAF and TB cleaning should be no issue for us.

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #9
Macario Marino

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
you need to do an idle learn. also you have to be careful what you use in cleaning the throttle body, see service manual. mass air flow sensor is a sensitive sensor I would never clean mine. why would you clean it?
Ive been getting horrible gas mileage and felt the car lacks power the car ran bad before doing the cleaning but only gave me good mileage and power for about a month or two before getting bad mileage again

Last edited by Macario Marino; 05-01-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Put wrong word tense
Old 05-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #10
Macario Marino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codiath View Post
Have you double checked all the intake connections to make sure they are properly seated/sealed?
Yes i did the car doesn't surge anymore though
Old 05-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
Macario Marino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
What did you use to clean the MAF?
Crc maf cleaner

Tags
lfx, throttle, throttle body