Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #77
2SS 45th Anniversary Questions

Hello everyone! I'm am in the final process of ordering my 2012 2SS/45th Camaro! I have a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help me with!

First,

Anyone had these stripes painted on rather than the factory stripes? I was quoted $800 from a local painter and am planning on going this route.

Second,

Anyone gotten the painted engine cover to go with it? I was wondering if Chevy had any red involved with this as well. I want to get a Vmax throttle body painted to match and was thinking that having it painted the same red our stripes our, I think it would look sharp!

Thanks!

Last edited by avellanet.jr; 02-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.
avellanet.jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
s/c ss

Drives: 13 ZL1, 10 Silverado LTZ, Chopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by avellanet.jr View Post
Hello everyone! I'm am in the final process of ordering my 2012 2SS/45th Camaro! I have a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help me with!

First,

Anyone had these stripes painted on rather than the factory stripes? I was quoted $800 from a local painter and am planning on going this route.

Second,

Anyone gotten the painted engine cover to go with it? I was wondering if Chevy had any red involved with this as well. I want to get a Vmax throttle body painted to match and was thinking that having it painted the red our stripes our would look sharp!

Thanks!
I visited my local chevy dealer and inquired about painting on some basic stripes. He quoted me a grand so 800 seems reasonable to me. I saw painted on 45th stripes and they looked incredible. The red was made a bit larger so the 45 stood out more. It looked way better than factory stripe.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
I believe GM has the V6 engine cover available in CFM now, I'm not sure about the V8, I'm planning on getting my stripes painted on also

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Besides painting the stripes i have the following lined up ready to order from JDP Motorsports: Cold Air Inductions - Intake System, VMAX - CNC Ported Throttle Body, RX Performance - PCV Catch Can. I'll be installing mods from day 1!!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
v6

Drives: 2012 45th 2LT RS
congrats on your order, you will love the 45th
v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Not sure if this is what you were asking but no the CFM painted engine cover from GM doesn't have any red on it. I've considered ordering one myself but I want to do my entire engine bay in CFM so I'm probably going to have everything painted at once professionally.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I'm on the fence about painting the stripes but then again that's just me. I've spent enough years working in a few body shops (private owned and dealership) and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly with things like this. Can it turn out awesome, yes, can you have then tweek the design some with color choice or adding ghost flames / designs or pearl coats, of course. I love doing one off paint work as a hobby these days but it's just each persons opinion of taste.

As for our 45th, it's still on order, yet to be built but we have a pile of parts already at the house and on their way this week. So when the car arrives it's game on, well sort of. If I don't have the mods installed by someone they will have to wait until May when I am home on vacation again. SOLO high-flow cats, complete Magnaflow cat-back w/an extra comp axle back, SLP springs, SLP shifter w/skip shifter harness, and a Cold Air Inductions CAI for the moment. No plans as of yet for any exterior or cosmetic mods at this point with the exception to getting the windows tinted.
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower View Post
Not sure if this is what you were asking but no the CFM painted engine cover from GM doesn't have any red on it. I've considered ordering one myself but I want to do my entire engine bay in CFM so I'm probably going to have everything painted at once professionally.
I was thinking having the top of the engine cover in CFM and the sides in the same shade of red as our stripes.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by t&t moyer View Post
I'm on the fence about painting the stripes but then again that's just me. I've spent enough years working in a few body shops (private owned and dealership) and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly with things like this. Can it turn out awesome, yes, can you have then tweek the design some with color choice or adding ghost flames / designs or pearl coats, of course. I love doing one off paint work as a hobby these days but it's just each persons opinion of taste.

As for our 45th, it's still on order, yet to be built but we have a pile of parts already at the house and on their way this week. So when the car arrives it's game on, well sort of. If I don't have the mods installed by someone they will have to wait until May when I am home on vacation again. SOLO high-flow cats, complete Magnaflow cat-back w/an extra comp axle back, SLP springs, SLP shifter w/skip shifter harness, and a Cold Air Inductions CAI for the moment. No plans as of yet for any exterior or cosmetic mods at this point with the exception to getting the windows tinted.
I want to do paint eventually but I won't put it as a priority since the car comes with the factory stripes anways. The painter I have lined up is a sponsor on the forum and is apart of the same Camaro group I'm in. I've seen his work and it's flawless.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
GMollohan12

Drives: '04 BMW 325i
Enjoy it, and best of luck with whatever you end up with!
GMollohan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMollohan12 View Post
Enjoy it, and best of luck with whatever you end up with!
Can't wait!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
blackflag

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th
I have had my 45th for a week and love the paint scheme. I was real picky about the stripes because I saw a few others at different lots that had some small peeling.

It looked over all of mine and no imperfections in the stripe kit at all.

I did notice a magic market dot on the passenger rear light and a white paint dot on the rear glass. I guess this is something they do on the line during final assembly and didn't clean off before delivery?

Anyone else seen this?
#1 2012 NMCA/LSX Challenge Series
2012 2SS 45th A6

Thanks to our Sponsors:
coldairinductions.com (Cold Air Inductions)
loughengines.com (Mike Lough Race Engines)
granatellimotorsports.com (Granatelli Motorsports)

Last edited by blackflag; 02-14-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: cant spell
blackflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflag View Post
I have had my 45th for a week not a love the paint scheme. I was real picky about the stripes because I saw a few others at different lots that had some small peeling.

It looked over all of mine and no imperfections in the stripe kit at all.

I did notice a magic market dot on the passenger rear light and a white paint dot on the rear glass. I guess this is something they do on the line during final assembly and didn't clean off before delivery?

Anyone else seen this?
Thanks for the heads up on the stripes. I will def look for this upon delivery now!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
blackflag

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by avellanet.jr View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the stripes. I will def look for this upon delivery now!
NP man. Not sure what was up with the stripes on the one car I saw on the lot. But it made me check mine over real good. With a good wax job, the flake in these cars is incredible.

Edit to my earlier post: I have had my 45th for a week and love the paint scheme.
#1 2012 NMCA/LSX Challenge Series
2012 2SS 45th A6

Thanks to our Sponsors:
coldairinductions.com (Cold Air Inductions)
loughengines.com (Mike Lough Race Engines)
granatellimotorsports.com (Granatelli Motorsports)

blackflag is offline   Reply With Quote