Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #29
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp11 View Post
Then just what is the purpose of certifying? Is there a benefit to the car company?
The benefit is that you show the consumer that you followed a strict set of guidelines, and that the engine will produce at least what the SAE tested engine produced. I think they can underrate even with SAE certification (although maybe in a smaller tolerance range) because they certify the engine at a certain power, but most likely they can round down a bit from the test to account for variations from engine to engine to be conservative. Saying there is no way they can underrate the engine sounds like it produced EXACTLY the power that they advertise, I doubt that is the case everytime. I'm sure it is pretty close though, maybe no more than a 5-10 hp difference.

Maybe somebody has the SAE spec and can see what the allowable tolerance range is.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #30
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
The benefit is that you show the consumer that you followed a strict set of guidelines, and that the engine will produce at least what the SAE tested engine produced. I think they can underrate even with SAE certification (although maybe in a smaller tolerance range) because they certify the engine at a certain power, but most likely they can round down a bit from the test to account for variations from engine to engine to be conservative. Saying there is no way they can underrate the engine sounds like it produced EXACTLY the power that they advertise, I doubt that is the case everytime. I'm sure it is pretty close though, maybe no more than a 5-10 hp difference.

Maybe somebody has the SAE spec and can see what the allowable tolerance range is.
the tolerance it must meet is +-1% of the SAE Certified rated power. No more, no less.

remember, this is the tolerance the ENGINE must meet. Drivetrains throw in a whole set of variables as well that can lead to tolerance stacking and affect SOME of the variance that will be seen from car to car on a chassis dyno.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post

I think it costs 60 bucks to buy the PDF
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote