Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2018, 12:25 AM   #1
Bandit63

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Mustang Dyno

Good or bad? What’s the deal?
Old 03-17-2018, 01:52 AM   #2
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Well it's not a camaro Dyno...

Good or bad in what way?
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:52 AM   #3
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Old 03-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #4
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
They are notorious for being Heartbreakers. You get 500whp on a dynojet, you MAY get 450 on a Mustang. So if you crack 500whp on a Mustang, you can bet your sweet a*s that it is legit.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
Bandit63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc615 View Post
Well it's not a camaro Dyno...

Good or bad in what way?
Ha, that’s true. I keep hearing that your hp numbers will be lower on a mustang dyno. So does that mean others are more accurate or just give higher false readings?
Old 03-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
Bandit63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
They are notorious for being Heartbreakers. You get 500whp on a dynojet, you MAY get 450 on a Mustang. So if you crack 500whp on a Mustang, you can bet your sweet a*s that it is legit.
That’s my question, if you get 500 on dynojet and 450 on mustang which one is correct? Just had my car tuned on a mustang and got 444 hp is why I’m asking
Old 03-17-2018, 11:45 PM   #7
jc615
Account Suspended

It's all a number. tuners can change variables to make cars numbers better if they want. I made more on a mustang than a dynojet although car wasn't running correctly with a certain shop.

My buddy and I started digging into the tune and made a lot of changes, basically we started over. Fixed the tune and picked up ~20rwhp on same dynojet. Don't get to caught up in numbers. I've learned not to trust tuners as well. Even ones that seem to treated like gods on here.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #8
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
It's all a number. tuners can change variables to make cars numbers better if they want. I made more on a mustang than a dynojet although car wasn't running correctly with a certain shop.

My buddy and I started digging into the tune and made a lot of changes, basically we started over. Fixed the tune and picked up ~20rwhp on same dynojet. Don't get to caught up in numbers. I've learned not to trust tuners as well. Even ones that seem to treated like gods on here.
very sorry to hear about your tuner probs and congrats on learnin to tune yourself! and I also agree that the dyno is best used as a tuning tool. what I take exception to is the no trust comment.

yes some tuners(hell complete shops) are morons when it comes to these cars...however there are some extremely competent tuners on here and unless the car owner f's it up...the tuner has worked with them...sometimes over and above board and to the extent that separate vendors have confab's to fix a prob(at no compensation to them!) they just wanted to fix the prob and make the owner happy...and he is.

so just wanted to clear the air and reitterate that 1 bad apple does not make the whole barrel bad...

be safe...which branch?

Last edited by frankwjr; 03-18-2018 at 09:04 AM.
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
jc615
Account Suspended

I'm not saying they are all bad but really have to do your research. Car is currently tuned by ryan after I installed their ss4 cam.

27 more days, Air Force.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You can search on the internet and the general consensus is that the Mustang being Load bearing is the best true accurate dyno versus non load bearing which cannot actually work under actual driving load as the Mustang does. Its all in the operator also and the correction factors and the tune also etc....and is best as a tuning tool. And a good shop that has a dyno jet would compare their output with a mustang but many would rather inflate egos also though...........

SO its a crap shoot and best used for tuning.... and if you want bragging rights its a spendy way to get it.... but generally a dynojet can inherently be as much as 15% off or just a few HP or damn near the same its in how they are set up.....

Hers my old first cammed 13 with CAI scoop , SP headers HFC, and the old TSP 235/235 cam when it had .639/.623 lift.... My tuners very well respected, been in SEMA, two electrical engineering degrees and well smokes the competition. He's lucky his dyno is Mustang, he uses SAE as that's the correction factor your supposed to use not standard STD which is higher HP output numbers ...wrong not the standard.... and he does not smooth the graph as it shows where problem areas are, remember the deal is you going with split second capturing of a engines performance at a given speed under load ..while being tuned with HP tuning and in Tommy Wongs case also the stock hardware/software from GM...

I literally had to wait once while he tuned a supercharged vette to gain 150 more HP than the stock crap handheld tune the guy got from the mechanic that installed it....Yes its a waiting list, yes he is worth the $550 to tune..... and he does not inflate numbers he has a remote weather station on the roof etc...... And its worth it know your not pulling timing anywhere, your AFR is good and your crap is tuned up and down run over and over.....And the tuner has a library of past tunes in the mega numbers knowing what to tweak and where and putting in a generic tune for your car before even running it from similar cars with similar mods for a starting point....

SO you basically get what you get with dynos and with mechanics etc..... Mine I am proud of and happy when I know my stuff is covered though it can be a case of a guy being so popular its too busy to be left alone long enough.....Tom Wong good guy..LOL
And his favorite saying' Don't believe everything you read on the internet".

IMO a good dyno sheet is unsmoothed, SAE corrected with out a absurd STD factor or lack of weather station;( factor just from a newspaper a week old weather report and a thermometer on the wall),( if they have one)....and includes the AFR ratio and done best on a load bearing dyno....... and cars are best tuned with the right software by a well experienced tuner Good Luck. Heart breaker versus Smarts faker.... what matters is going point A to B.
https://www.facebook.com/Wongs-Perfo...-115667950915/
Old 03-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
Bandit63

Quote:

I know not to get all caught up in numbers. I’m happy with the way car runs. Was just curious about big difference in hp numbers between dynojet and mustang.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #12
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
All the Mustang Dyno’s I have seen are not accurate and generally will calculate your horsepower and torque 15-20% less than what it actually is. If you want accurate numbers or dyno tune use a DynoJet dyno.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #13
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueovalman View Post
All the Mustang Dyno’s I have seen are not accurate and generally will calculate your horsepower and torque 15-20% less than what it actually is. If you want accurate numbers or dyno tune use a DynoJet dyno.
I'm not going to say you are wrong, because you can get a Dynojet, or Mustang Dyno, or a Land and Sea Dyno-Mite Dyno in pretty much any hardware configuration desirable. Then on top of that, you have the software configuration, and correction factors and weather differences. It's impossible to make comparisons from one to another.

If what you're saying is true, my bolt on, small cam ls3 makes 577whp on a dynojet??! No. It's more likely that the Mustang Dyno that I was tuned on, is setup in a configuration to read higher than others.

If someone wants to know if they make more HP than their buddy, go to the same dyno, on the same day.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #14
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
It doesn't matter if you use a Dynojet or a Mustang dyno. Yes, Mustang dyno's generally read lower than a Dynojet however dyno's are simply tuning tools, who cares about the peak numbers unless you're a lame bench racer??? The only thing that is important is that you use the same dyno for all stock or baseline pulls as well as post modification pulls, that way you can see your true gains. Keeping with the same dyno will show you an accurate percentage gain regardless of if you are on a DybnoJet or Mustang and at the end of the day you want to see what overall percentage of gains you have achieved with a modification. Jumping around to different dynos will just confuse you and at the end of the day you will not have learned anything worthwhile.