Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-21-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Planning for my first mod....wideband question

I'm planning for my first mod which would be long tube headers. I'm compiling a list of things I need to buy and I have a question about tuning/monitoring.

Do I need to buy and install a wideband sensor and gauge or can the programmer record that (SCT programmer)? OIs it just a nice to have? If I will eventually need one for future mods ( cam ), would it be best to install the sensor while the headers are off the car?

Thanks!
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
If you decide to buy a wideband get in “lambda” not AFR scaling. You will need a fire wire cable to connect between the wideband and SCTx4 ($2.). You then can log AFR using the port on the device. Much easier to install the sensor while headers are not mounted. If your only planning headers and CAI won’t need it but, anything more definitely if your gonna optimize...
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
JooktheSnooke

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
this is the first im hearing of this. what is a wideband sensor? i have a few mods on my car and will be taking it to get tuned in the spring. (away for the winter). what does this do?
2010 Cyber Gray Metallic 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Stainless Works Longtubes w/ high flow cats | Muffler Delete | TSP 229/244 stage 2 cam| TSP .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Mulling high volume oil pump | PTB | Trunnion upgrade | Hurst short throw shifter | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Exedy stage 1 clutch |
JooktheSnooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
An oxygen sensor is an electronic device that measures oxygen in the gas or liquid being analysed. Contrary to some belief it doesn’t measure fuel , the equation is Calculated by the gauge it’s connected to.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
Level300

Quote:
Originally Posted by JooktheSnooke View Post
this is the first im hearing of this. what is a wideband sensor? i have a few mods on my car and will be taking it to get tuned in the spring. (away for the winter). what does this do?
In a nutshell air and fuel burns at an optimum ratio. There is a ratio for maximum power , maximum fuel economy, etc. the wideband sensor measures the ratio from your exhaust.

Previously, I had installed a wideband in my motorcycle because it was an open loop system. Once the fuel map was set, there was no computer to make adjustments so the engine didn’t run lean or too rich. If I didn’t set the map properly, the engine could run lean, get too hot and melt the valves. So I needed to keep an eye on AFR.

However our cars are closed loop systems meaning the computer makes adjustments based on exhaust sensors so fuel is burning optimally which is why I asked, if a wideband is needed to monitor future engine mods. I would think that the computer would make the adjustments so AFR is always correct and would shut down or throw codes if it wasn’t? I’m still unclear and learning about tuning and what the car’s computer is capable of.

Here’s a link on AFR:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air–fuel_ratio
Old 11-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #6
Level300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-tuned View Post
If you decide to buy a wideband get in “lambda” not AFR scaling. You will need a fire wire cable to connect between the wideband and SCTx4 ($2.). You then can log AFR using the port on the device. Much easier to install the sensor while headers are not mounted. If your only planning headers and CAI won’t need it but, anything more definitely if your gonna optimize...
Thanks ProTuned!
Old 11-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
1fast
8.60 @ 157 @ 4200lbs

Drives: 2010 Gen 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
In a nutshell air and fuel burns at an optimum ratio. There is a ratio for maximum power , maximum fuel economy, etc. the wideband sensor measures the ratio from your exhaust.

Previously, I had installed a wideband in my motorcycle because it was an open loop system. Once the fuel map was set, there was no computer to make adjustments so the engine didn’t run lean or too rich. If I didn’t set the map properly, the engine could run lean, get too hot and melt the valves. So I needed to keep an eye on AFR.

However our cars are closed loop systems meaning the computer makes adjustments based on exhaust sensors so fuel is burning optimally which is why I asked, if a wideband is needed to monitor future engine mods. I would think that the computer would make the adjustments so AFR is always correct and would shut down or throw codes if it wasn’t? I’m still unclear and learning about tuning and what the car’s computer is capable of.

Here’s a link on AFR:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air–fuel_ratio
Yes car runs closed loop after warm up and cruise but when you go wide open throttle you are in open loop thats the short version. But a wideband is like a heart monitor even just air intake or any other mods it has always been my first mod.
1fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
Level300

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast View Post
Yes car runs closed loop after warm up and cruise but when you go wide open throttle you are in open loop thats the short version. But a wideband is like a heart monitor even just air intake or any other mods it has always been my first mod.
Wow. Thanks 1Fast. That’s good to know.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
JooktheSnooke

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
is this needed if i am going to bring the car to get tuned? wouldnt they have their ways of reading AFR? is this something for those that tune themselves?
2010 Cyber Gray Metallic 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Stainless Works Longtubes w/ high flow cats | Muffler Delete | TSP 229/244 stage 2 cam| TSP .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Mulling high volume oil pump | PTB | Trunnion upgrade | Hurst short throw shifter | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Exedy stage 1 clutch |
JooktheSnooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #10
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JooktheSnooke View Post
is this needed if i am going to bring the car to get tuned? wouldnt they have their ways of reading AFR? is this something for those that tune themselves?
Nah, you dont need it. The tuner will stick his wideband into your tailpipe to get an afr reading. While its always ideal to have a wideband, you dont need it for NA cars.

I installed a wideband when I had a cam and bolt ons, but my friends did not, and they're fine.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #11
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
Nah, you dont need it. The tuner will stick his wideband into your tailpipe to get an afr reading. While its always ideal to have a wideband, you dont need it for NA cars.

I installed a wideband when I had a cam and bolt ons, but my friends did not, and they're fine.
being all thats been said. it would seem you need a AFR sensor for each bank for optimal tuning? where is the best location for drilling the hole in the header. thanks
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #12
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
You can and some do install 2. The thinking is,among the ones using 1 that the difference between the 2 banks aren't worth the extra sensor under most applications. I installed mine in the bung for the downstream o2 sensor. Those were tuned out after header install.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #13
ybnormal70

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
What is a good wideband sensor someone can recommend? I have one on my car and it is very annoying the noise that it makes. I assume it has a small stepper motor to move the needle and it is noisy. Would like something that records a high/low and digital if possible. Maybe something I could get a matching boost gauge too .

Kevin
ybnormal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #14
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
AFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
You can and some do install 2. The thinking is,among the ones using 1 that the difference between the 2 banks aren't worth the extra sensor under most applications. I installed mine in the bung for the downstream o2 sensor. Those were tuned out after header install.
ok gotcha, I would like having AFR read out even if I don't have a remote tune done. Just to monitor things and a boost read out. I've got a corsa exhaust so I think I would have to drill a hole after my high flow cats and weld a bung in place. One of the remote tuners on this site I read doesn't do remote tunes for forced induction and needs to be done on a dyno. so what I gather remote tunes are for some upgrades but not others. Witch is fine, I wouldn't want to short change my tune if remotely done is questionable FI.

I want a pillard gauge mount is there one gauge that covers it all if you know?
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote