Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
enroberts

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS Camaro M6
DSS install and now clunking drivetrain

Hey there. I have a 2010 Camaro SS M6. It's close to 600RWHP. I installed a Monster Clutch LT-1S twin disc installed. I also installed a DSS package that includes a carbon fiber DS, 9"rear, and axles. Full disclosure (not that it matters but I'll say it anyway), I also have solid sub-frame connectors on the car. Here's the issue. When driving the car, pretty much every time I engage and disengage the clutch I get a very noticeable drive train clunk. Sometimes it sounds like its coming from the trans area, other times it sounds like it's coming from the rear area. If I drive slow in maybe 2nd or 3rd gear and engage the clutch quickly (making the car buck and jump a bit as the clutch holds on), the clunking is really loud. I'll run out now and take a video and post a link here. Really, I thought these noises would be non-existent by moving to the DSS components. You'd think everything would be so tight with almost no play, but that's not my experience here. I'm nervous to launch the car for fear that it'll load up and break the DSS pieces. Any ideas?
enroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Was the clutch installed and used with the stock drive train ever? If so was it clunking then? Or was this all installed at once? Just curious....sounds like a killer setup tho....hope it's not in the tranny....our cars don't have the rear output shaft support unless you had it upgraded.....
Old 10-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
enroberts

Thanks. Should be killer if I can get this noise straight. There was some clunking before the DSS stuff was installed but not like this. Here is a link to the video I just recorded.

https://youtu.be/3uSOo9y9BFs
Old 10-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
frankwjr

Man that is weird...wish you were a bit closer we could diag it.....do this....get the car on level ground..block the fronts...jack up the rear to get tires off ground and get some jack stands for safety....have somebody else carefully put the car in and out of gear while you are watching from outside under(tryin to tell ya to be freakin careful duh..you know this) hope this will allow you to at least get it narrowed down...good luck bro...
Old 10-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
frankwjr

Also update your sig with your specs so peeps know your setup....saves some time...
Old 10-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
enroberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Man that is weird...wish you were a bit closer we could diag it.....do this....get the car on level ground..block the fronts...jack up the rear to get tires off ground and get some jack stands for safety....have somebody else carefully put the car in and out of gear while you are watching from outside under(tryin to tell ya to be freakin careful duh..you know this) hope this will allow you to at least get it narrowed down...good luck bro...
Thanks. That's going to be my next step. I need to find exactly where it's coming from. Not today though. I'm taking the car to a show in about an hour. I want to launch this car so bad and see what it's capable of on the 1/4 mile but not when I think something will break! I've got WAAAAAAY to much $ in it! LOL.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
frankwjr

Yeah I was wondering what your spec's are to get the hp.....have fun...
Old 10-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Not as clunky as my setup. I think the DSS CF acts as a sound conduit, a speaker, so to say. Suppose to be quieter, but it's not.

When installed all the performance parts, you get to remove all the anti-NVH isolators.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates

Last edited by dreksnot; 10-24-2016 at 12:19 PM.
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
enroberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
Not a clunky as my setup. I think the DSS CF acts as a sound conduit, a speaker, so to say. Suppose to be quieter, but it's not.

When installed all the performance parts, you get to remove all the anti-NVH isolators.
Yeah it's a valid point but still annoying!
Old 10-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #10
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroberts View Post
Yeah it's a valid point but still annoying!
Couldn't agree more. I did contact DSS questioning it - they said the CF is quieter than the aluminum (they're putting something in the aluminum DS to dampen the noise). I had a CF before on the car and it wasn't as noisy. I presume each one has slightly different acoustic variances. IDK.

When I'm under the car and move the rear wheels with the car in gear (not started), the "emanater" of the noise is about center of the CF DS (like a loud speaker). I'm sure the diff is the noise maker, but the sound is projected through the DS.

Not sure of the available options - turn up the stereo...

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
Old 10-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #11
enroberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Yeah I was wondering what your spec's are to get the hp.....have fun...
LS3 stock bottom end | Magnacharger 2300 supercharger | ZL1 fuel pump | FAST 65lb injectors | 3.4" pulley | JRE super belt tensioner | Elite RX clean and dirty side catch can system | Cold air intake | Magnaflow Exhaust | Monster Clutch's LT-1S twin disc clutch | Tick remote clutch bleeder | DSS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft | DSS 9" rear with 3:70 Wavetrack gears | DSS 1400 HP axles | Pegasus CNC stainless steel trailing arms | Pegasus CNC stainless steel toe arms | Pegasus CNC solid subframe connectors | Hurst short throw shifter | 2-4 skip delete | JBA mid pipes | Bosch wide-band O2 sensor | Innovate Motorsports LC02 wide band controller | Innovate Motorsports Air/Fuel guage | Innovate Motorsports boost gauge | Baron Concepts center speaker gauge pod | ZL1 pedals
Old 10-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #12
enroberts

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I did contact DSS questioning it - they said the CF is quieter than the aluminum (they're putting something in the aluminum DS to dampen the noise). I had a CF before on the car and it wasn't as noisy. I presume each one has slightly different acoustic variances. IDK.

When I'm under the car and move the rear wheels with the car in gear (not started), the "emanater" of the noise is about center of the CF DS (like a loud speaker). I'm sure the diff is the noise maker, but the sound is projected through the DS.

Ugh. I guess if my output shaft hasn't broken by now (fingers crossed) it was probably replaced by the previous owner. I bought the car with only 400 miles on it so maybe it broke and they gave up?! Who knows. I have launched the car HARD at the track several times before the DSS upgrades and things held together. Maybe someone at DSS will see this thread and listen to my video/make a comment here. Time will tell! Thanks guys for all your feed back. When I can get under it I'll try to see what I find and post again here.
LS3 | Magnacharger 2300 supercharger | ZL1 fuel pump | FAST 65lb injectors | 3.4" pulley | JRE belt tensioner | Elite RX clean/dirty side catch can system | CAI | Magnaflow Exhaust | Monster Clutch LT-1S twin disc | Tick remote clutch bleeder | DSS Carbon Fiber DS | DSS 9" rear with 3:70 Wavetrack gears | DSS 1400HP axles | Pegasus CNC stainless steel trailing/tow arms/solid subframe connectors | Hurst short throw | JBA mid pipes | Bosch wide-band O2 sensor | Innovate Motorsports LC02 wide band controller | Innovate Motorsports Air/Fuel/boost gauges | Baron Concepts center speaker gauge pod
Old 10-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #13
enroberts

Quote:

By the way, I may be moving to CO in the near future. I'd love to talk to you about how you get your car through emissions out there....
LS3 | Magnacharger 2300 supercharger | ZL1 fuel pump | FAST 65lb injectors | 3.4" pulley | JRE belt tensioner | Elite RX clean/dirty side catch can system | CAI | Magnaflow Exhaust | Monster Clutch LT-1S twin disc | Tick remote clutch bleeder | DSS Carbon Fiber DS | DSS 9" rear with 3:70 Wavetrack gears | DSS 1400HP axles | Pegasus CNC stainless steel trailing/tow arms/solid subframe connectors | Hurst short throw | JBA mid pipes | Bosch wide-band O2 sensor | Innovate Motorsports LC02 wide band controller | Innovate Motorsports Air/Fuel/boost gauges | Baron Concepts center speaker gauge pod
Old 10-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #14
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroberts View Post
By the way, I may be moving to CO in the near future. I'd love to talk to you about how you get your car through emissions out there....
That will be my challenge in 2017 (emissions). Depends on where you're planning to live as to is emission requirements.

In excess of 1,000WHP