Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
dporter6
Wicked_2SS

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS
Dissapointed in Muffler Delete

Hey Guys. I have a 2014 2ss with a resonator delete. I have a tune and CAI and it sounds really good. It has a real mean deep growl to it. I did my research and watched videos of people doing muffler deletes, so i decided to give it a try since people kept raving about it. As soon as i did it i hated it, it sounded like SHIT to me. It was just loud and had no type of tone to it, I was so shocked on how bad it sounded.I was pretty upset i wasted 300 dollars as I put the stock mufflers back on the same day. I plan on going with long tubes soon, but my question is why do people love muffler deletes so much? am i missing something?? Please let me know your opinions, I know its all about preference.
dporter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Haha dude I feel your pain. I tried the same thing with mine deleted the 2 rear trash cans and straight piped from the axle back. Car sounded badass on startup and wide open throttle. But it sounded like just ass on tooling around say 2000 RPM or thereabouts. So I put up with it for a few months and tried to convince myself that I liked it.

But I didn't. So last Spring I paid the shop that took them off to put them back on LOL. So yeah my car is pretty quiet now but it sounds good when driving normally. So I'm with you on this one.

Last edited by qcman; 01-14-2019 at 08:26 PM.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
The cats work much better as a muffler than the actual mufflers do. Do a cat delete and it'll sound so much better
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
I ran CAI/Solo High Flow Cats/Muffler delete on my 2010 SS and thought it sounded awesome. It comes down to personal preference I guess. At least you gave it a shot before going the more expensive route.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
I love mine. Headers,no cats,resonater, pype bomb muffler delete. Scares old folks and small children at WOT.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #6

Drives: 2010 Camaro
If you are already looking for a different "tone" than stock. It doesn't hurt to try out muffler deletes. I too thought it sounded cool on start up, but quickly realized it wasn't the sound for me. But, I had LT's at the time......LOUD!!! So, I just slapped an axle back on and sounds great now. I thought about putting the stock mufflers back on but couldn't justify the weight. lol
205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I have Solo's Mach XL catback which is essentially a muffled X pipe with a muffler delete that has J pipes to eliminate drone. I loved it from the get go and honestly I haven't had any issues with it sounding like crap. Maybe it's the muffled X pipe that changes the tone, but when I had it with factory cats and shorty headers (previous owner installed) it sounded good, adding Kooks LT's with cats sounded better, and now adding a cam to the mix it sounds freaking mean. However, it's personal preference. If you're after a deep tone that has a classic muscle car sound my other choice would be Stainless Works' Retro Chambered catback.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #8
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I had a muffler delete with solo hi flow cats. I thought it sounded great. Until I ended up with my Corsa...then recently heard an old vid of my car. Yep zero tone or refinement. Still wasn't terrible.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #9
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Some people just love it loud. To me it sounds to much like a truck. A good catback goes a long way. The stock exhaust sounds pretty good if you run it with a set of long tubes. I just couldn't deal with the suitcases under the car.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #10
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I have Solo's Mach XL catback which is essentially a muffled X pipe with a muffler delete that has J pipes to eliminate drone. I loved it from the get go and honestly I haven't had any issues with it sounding like crap. Maybe it's the muffled X pipe that changes the tone, but when I had it with factory cats and shorty headers (previous owner installed) it sounded good, adding Kooks LT's with cats sounded better, and now adding a cam to the mix it sounds freaking mean. However, it's personal preference. If you're after a deep tone that has a classic muscle car sound my other choice would be Stainless Works' Retro Chambered catback.

The Solo catback has a mid-muffler that produces the tone. It wouldn't be considered a straight pipe.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #11
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
The Solo catback has a mid-muffler that produces the tone. It wouldn't be considered a straight pipe.
The mid muffler is a muffled X pipe. I'm not knocking it because I love my Mach XL catback and regularly recommend it. Only when I installed my cam did I get a some drone and Steve from Solo was very helpful on recommending how to adjust the J pipes to cancel it. It would be gone completely if I had more time to test it before we got 10 inches of snow last weekend.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:28 AM   #12
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
The mid muffler is a muffled X pipe. I'm not knocking it because I love my Mach XL catback and regularly recommend it. Only when I installed my cam did I get a some drone and Steve from Solo was very helpful on recommending how to adjust the J pipes to cancel it. It would be gone completely if I had more time to test it before we got 10 inches of snow last weekend.
I am interested in this setup too. Right now I have LT headers and HF cats. I still have my factory resonator with a Solo axleback with J-Pipes. I love the sound but I was wondering if the Solo Mach XL cat back would sound even better. I would love to hear your opinion.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #13
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD DAB View Post
I am interested in this setup too. Right now I have LT headers and HF cats. I still have my factory resonator with a Solo axleback with J-Pipes. I love the sound but I was wondering if the Solo Mach XL cat back would sound even better. I would love to hear your opinion.
Here's my setup so you can make your own opinion as well, but I love what I have for my setup. Like I said earlier, the only time I had an issue with drone was after I had my cam installed and a little tweaking of the J pipes and it's all but gone (haven't done a test since the last tweak). I went straight to the full catback so I cannot comment on what an axle back vs. catback will do, but I wouldn't change what I've done. I have some LT w/ cats videos and then a couple idle videos post cam, one hot idle and one cold start to settle down idle. I hope this helps!

Pre tune exhaust 4.5k rpms max

Post tune exhaust full pull

Warm idle post BTR Stage 2 NA cam install

Cold start post BTR Stage 2 NA cam install to idle Around 45 seconds in it starts to settle down and lope.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #14
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I now understand what is going on with other cars with just a muffler delete and people’s dissatisfaction. I liken it to my other other hobby, guitars. People in the guitar world spend a LIFETIME chasing the elusive “tone.” Then once you think you found it, you don’t like it anymore and you’re off on yet another quest. No tone-chaser is ever completely satisfied.

I think the muffler delete sounds pretty good overall. I did rent a Hemi Challenger last week that did have a nice, deep tone. Had I not heard that I’d say my muff del was perfect. But I live in CA and have to worry about the 95db at 19.5” thing anyway. Good luck on your search for just the right tone. But unfortunately, you’ll never find it for very long.