Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #393
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI_CATALYTIC View Post
The cats being loose in there may eventually cause a problem. I can get you a replacement pair if you'd like, just pm me.
Thanks man. I appreciate that. Run now, I think I'll wait for your pair of forced induction cats instead. I know those will be some good stuff and ready to roll from the get-go.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #394
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
They come loose like that because whatever company made the cats did a terrible job reducing the can theyre in to hold the substrate. Once the cat is all heated up it will grow in size and then shrink back down as it cools. If the can is not reduced enough to put pressure on the substrate to hold it in, it will then become loose. If the substrate was too small for the tube, that would cause the problem as well.
Don't you make the cats for JBA? So you would be the company that did the terrible job.
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #395
69 Rebel

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS Auto
You still havn't received blown cats? you have been asking for some for some time now. If i had mine i would have sent them to you ASAP.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100385

Version II
416ci stroker/4L80e
701rwhp 750rwtq
build and tuned by
SPI-Performance
69 Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #396
PIC

Drives: 2005 YJM6 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 4 DW View Post
Don't you make the cats for JBA? So you would be the company that did the terrible job.
No we do not, we only make the substrates that go to JBA's supplier. They are the ones that take it from there. Also, there are more companies that supply that company as well, so the likeliness of it being one of ours is about 10%, they order more from a cheaper chinese company more then they do from us. They're more about saving money than quality, or so ive heard.
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #397
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Rebel View Post
You still havn't received blown cats? you have been asking for some for some time now. If i had mine i would have sent them to you ASAP.
Nope. Nobody ever sent us any. Weve only got 2 samples that are from last year. We need a bunch more failed cats.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #398
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 4 DW View Post
Also, our interior quality inspections would never allow a part out the door that would fail. We hold our tolerances 15 thousandths closer than the customers own drawing to ensure that we make the perfect part for them. If there are parts of ours that have failed, then we will be able to tell by how we mark them, but we need people to send us failed cats. Without us getting any failed cats in to be analyzed, we'll never know why they fail in high horse or boosted applications.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #399
PIC

Here's a video of my car to lighten the mood up lol. Just got it back today from having ARH 1 7/8th's headers installed with their 3" catted x-pipe and a custom fitted corsa sport axle-back. This has our cats on it as well. Car did 351hp/361trq before the headers. Going back next week for a tune and post header numbers.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #400
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
No we do not, we only make the substrates that go to JBA's supplier. They are the ones that take it from there. Also, there are more companies that supply that company as well, so the likeliness of it being one of ours is about 10%, they order more from a cheaper chinese company more then they do from us. They're more about saving money than quality, or so ive heard.
Not True!
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #401
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Mine now sound like pennies rattling around in a jar at WOT.... Looks like I'll have to ditch them.. which kinda sux, because when they were installed, they were welded to the connector pipe and the mid-pipe -- not the installer's fault.. No one I know with a torch will remove the cats from the car.. so, I'll end up needing the connector pipes from DougThorley for my headers and then the mid pipes with the slip fit connectors to mate it all up again..

sucky.... luck finally ran out on mine.. Mine are Magnaflows 2.5 C/C UMC
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #402
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Mine now sound like pennies rattling around in a jar at WOT.... Looks like I'll have to ditch them.. which kinda sux, because when they were installed, they were welded to the connector pipe and the mid-pipe -- not the installer's fault.. No one I know with a torch will remove the cats from the car.. so, I'll end up needing the connector pipes from DougThorley for my headers and then the mid pipes with the slip fit connectors to mate it all up again..

sucky.... luck finally ran out on mine.. Mine are Magnaflows 2.5 C/C UMC
Don't feel bad, gutted mine as well. Wondering now what affect it has on the mufflers.
After about 1hr. of straight driving I do notice the sound change in one of the mufflers. Not sure what's going on there but obvious to me this whole CAT melting issue is quite serious.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #403
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Don't feel bad, gutted mine as well. Wondering now what affect it has on the mufflers.
After about 1hr. of straight driving I do notice the sound change in one of the mufflers. Not sure what's going on there but obvious to me this whole CAT melting issue is quite serious.
I've been putting off some other work, but if I have to put it in the shop.. AGAIN.... I'm going to have some other things done and the cats remove.. I'd have to drop my whole system to check inside the cats themselves, but from what I've been told on the noise, it sounds like the substrate is knocked loose.. Not melted in because the car still runs w/o issue.. but, it appears to be moving around inside.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #404
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I've been putting off some other work, but if I have to put it in the shop.. AGAIN.... I'm going to have some other things done and the cats remove.. I'd have to drop my whole system to check inside the cats themselves, but from what I've been told on the noise, it sounds like the substrate is knocked loose.. Not melted in because the car still runs w/o issue.. but, it appears to be moving around inside.
If you can; I'd suggest you gut the cats. That way upon inspection it appears that you're still legal with a fully catted exhaust system.
At that point the only thing they could do is give you a noise infraction. LOL
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #405
1968 SS 396

Drives: 1968 Camaro Super Sport
Quote:
What part about what I've said is not true? We make the cores and then send them to a completely different company for everything else. All's we do is roll the cores, cook them, QC them and send them out. A completely different company coats them and puts them in their housings. We have no control over those other companies quality. Also, JBA orders from a company that buys cores from other companies as well, I'm not 100% sure on how much we supply to them, but I can tell you now by the order numbers that come across my desk that it is not many. There are only 2 companies in the US that make cats, were one of them and theres one more thats as big as us. The company that supplies JBA also supplies to a whole mess of other smalled header companies and such. I've seen the design of the housings that JBA gets and its not ours. We only fully build the cat for one company, everybody else just gets our cores.

I did some research here since one of the first Mods to my car will be High Flow Cats. PI_CATALYTIC needs to contact his sales team. According to the guys I talked to, PI Cats are used in ALL JBA Mid-Pipe products and are sold DIRECTLY to Pertronix. Pertronix is the company that has own's the JBA, Doug's and Patriot Header brands. What gives? Do you sell poor quality components to your customers that manufacture products using your Cats?
1968 SS 396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #406
lewylew

Drives: 2010 ZL550& 2021 C8 Z51
Is anybody making a cat that with hold up to supercharged cars.