Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
Upgrade 5th Gen to 6th-pro & cons-opinions wanted

I have an A6 2013 ZL1, nicely modified w/ 677whp and am on the fence considering going with a new 2017 ZL1 A10. Would like your views/opinions/advice as well as pros & cons on the swap from those that have done it. Thanks in advance!
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Switchy

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirebender View Post
I have an A6 2013 ZL1, nicely modified w/ 677whp and am on the fence considering going with a new 2017 ZL1 A10. Would like your views/opinions/advice as well as pros & cons on the swap from those that have done it. Thanks in advance!
If I were in your shoes I wouldn't your going from a faster car to a slower. You also will lose a ton of money trading in and going to have to spend another 65K for a 11.4 sec car and to mod again would be even more money. Better off just keeping your Z now and buying the new one
Switchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:19 AM   #3
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
If my car was built as yours my position would be not to trade out...However, you may be better served to ask this question on the 6th Gen forum for an unbiased opinion...Good luck with your decision...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Textbook response(s) so far. If you asked on Camaro6 you'd have people acting like the 5th gen is an old station wagon and the 6th gen is a LaFerrari. If you ask here, you'll usually have people thinking that a 5th gen with 650 HP or more is basically the same thing and therefore no need to upgrade.

Neither answer is correct IMO nor what most OPs are asking for.

The new Camaro is a vast improvement in handling and interior. It's got new a "2017" look and an engine that starts with more power as well as less weight, a better chassis, and tech like an electronic limited slip differential.

If you're seeking aftermarket for the LT4, it's going to be costly vs the LSA, however LT4 aftermarket is thriving as many shops have already been messing with the LT4 in the Z06 and CTS-V for a few years. ZL1 specific parts like air intakes, headers, exhaust, etc is all starting to roll out, so there's no lack of product really.

If you want a comfortable street and strip car, then your 5th Gen is probably fine.

If you want an upgrade in handling, interior, and less weight, and can take the loss on your 5th for the modding, then I would say go for the trade up.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
Thanks for the responses
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
I finally got a very good look at a Black 6th Gen ZL1 today at Cars and Coffee. I must say it looks very impressive. As far as the better interior, chassis, and tech, I'm sure it's an upgrade comparing a bone stock 5th to 6th Gen.

Modded becomes a different story power and performance wise (strip) depending on where you are at and want to go. The LT4 is not a new motor without an aftermarket and it is limited compared to the LSA.

This new ZL1 also has an obscene amount of torque management compared to the 5th gen. Again, if you are not into drag racing that should not be a factor. That also may indicate the driveline is not strong as the 5th gen. Again, not a factor if you not into hitting it hard with power at the strip.

I would like to have both! Leave the 6th gen bone stock and use as a DD. 10 speed Auto
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH

Last edited by 2NASSTY; 05-20-2017 at 11:55 AM.
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I realize it's not a ZL1 but it's cheap and easy to get some 6th gen time behind the wheel without a salesman nanny next to you:
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...collection.jsp
Fly into a city that rents them with a reservation and spend a day or two with it and decide for yourself.
I thought the 6th SS was a good handling and powerful NA car. I was disappointed in the interior (as I am in the 5th).
It might have been on the low-octane table but there was enough power to be entertaining for a NA daily driver type car.
Not worth the difference in price to me to go from 5th to 6th. Without upgrades I would prefer a 6th due to power increase.
Yes, ask on the 6th site and I'm sure they will tell you that 6th owners are the boss.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:31 AM   #8
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirebender View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchy View Post
If I were in your shoes I wouldn't your going from a faster car to a slower. You also will lose a ton of money trading in and going to have to spend another 65K for a 11.4 sec car and to mod again would be even more money. Better off just keeping your Z now and buying the new one
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
If my car was built as yours my position would be not to trade out...However, you may be better served to ask this question on the 6th Gen forum for an unbiased opinion...Good luck with your decision...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Textbook response(s) so far. If you asked on Camaro6 you'd have people acting like the 5th gen is an old station wagon and the 6th gen is a LaFerrari. If you ask here, you'll usually have people thinking that a 5th gen with 650 HP or more is basically the same thing and therefore no need to upgrade.

Neither answer is correct IMO nor what most OPs are asking for.

The new Camaro is a vast improvement in handling and interior. It's got new a "2017" look and an engine that starts with more power as well as less weight, a better chassis, and tech like an electronic limited slip differential.

If you're seeking aftermarket for the LT4, it's going to be costly vs the LSA, however LT4 aftermarket is thriving as many shops have already been messing with the LT4 in the Z06 and CTS-V for a few years. ZL1 specific parts like air intakes, headers, exhaust, etc is all starting to roll out, so there's no lack of product really.

If you want a comfortable street and strip car, then your 5th Gen is probably fine.

If you want an upgrade in handling, interior, and less weight, and can take the loss on your 5th for the modding, then I would say go for the trade up.
The OP asked a simple question and the responses were based on that...So a text book question, gets a text book response???

I don't see that you're qualified to state your opinion that any response can be wrong and/or what the OP is asking...

For many the look of the 6th Gen kills the spirit to upgrade...

Many are not looking for increased handling, decreased weight, as they don't participate in circle 8 course's...

Your last 2 para's can be considered as "text book" response's, as in the middle of your post, you said a lot that in the end amounts to nothing...

Old 05-22-2017, 03:57 AM   #9
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

By the way the OP has already posted the question on the 6th Gen forum, as well...

Old 05-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #11
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Same person being confrontational again. When will it ever end? Why can't we all just be friends? bahahaha
Old 05-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #12
Kmax

Drives: 2012 ZL1 125HP kit , EIBACH springs
I chose to keep my 5th gen and do some modifications to the suspension and engine to bring it closer to par with the newer higher horsepower cars. I just couldn't justify the depreciation cost difference to buy the new car. Personally I prefer the looks of the 5th over the 6th, but there growing on me. Some of the things the 6th have over the 5th are all the new inter-coolers,the weight reduction and bigger brakes, which would be costly or impossible to replicate. Don't know if I can get the 5th gen to pull 1.04 from a .98, but I should be able to improve on it. Can definitely get the 5th gen to turn 11's in the quarter too. Gm did a real nice job on the 6th gen. In the long run , I just might have to save for a stable mate to my 5th gen.
Kmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #13
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I think it really depends on intended use. The 5th gen driveline seems pretty bombproof especially the rear end. I see the 5th gen as more of a 1/4 mile car and 6th gen more track oriented. 5th gen has been proven pretty solid up to 900-1000 rwhp. Haven't seen the limits of the 6th gen other than small blower and possibly rear end.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #14
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Keeping it to the topic, but IMO it depends on your wants. We could be here all afternoon discussing pro and cons of keeping or trading. If you want it bad enough, and if you have the cash, then that's all the justification that you will need.

I've said before that the 6th gen may be ideal for first time buyers. It has much of the appeal of the 5th gen, with the added benefit of being more advanced. For me, aside from being able to trade, its too soon at the moment to consider trading. It would only be an update from my 2014, which has hardly been used at this point. There are certain characteristics of the 5th gen that make it more desirable to me that prevents me from trading.

My ideal trade up (If I had the cash) would be to a brand new (No used or certified at this level) Z06. Even with this, I am happy enough with my 5th gen, which keeps me from seriously considering trading it.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote