Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
SS Joey

Drives: 12' Black Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Resonator delete and flowmaster 40 mufflers sound off

I recently had the resonator delete done and added an x pipe with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers - I was looking for that low growl sound but didnt get that, more of a higher pitch sound and also feel like I lost some power when I step on the gas. Is this normal when you take out the resonator and add flowmaster mufflers? Any suggestions on what I need to get that low 'growling' sound exhaust?

I have a 2012 SS/RS convertible - any help is appreciated, thanks!

Joe
SS Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Resonators soften the exhaust note, which can give off a "Deep" sound in most cases. By you deleting them, you made the exhaust flow more free, and that can give you a "hollow" "tin" like sound, which is probably what you are hearing. From what I've heard, the SW Retro Chambered is the closest thing you're going to get to "deep growl" on these cars. Not sure if you want to spend 900-1000 on another system, but I guarantee if you get that one, you will find what you're looking for.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
If you lost power I'd say its most likely due to the x-pipe not the mufflers or resonator delete. Given Flowmasters suck and are anything but flow masters you shouldn't notice a power loss down low. The factory h-pipe is the best way to go and is designed right. Adding an x-pipe in the wrong location will kill power across the band regardless of how well it flows.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
When I added the flowmaster outlaws to the car it sounded great, but seemed I lost a bit of bottom end, but that could have been me and ecu not getting used to it yet. I added the resonated x pipe and gained it back and then some, at least the old butt-o-meter said so, did the same on my v6. Took the x out later when I was trying to get more sound as it realy killed it, I noticed the loss again. A resonated x pipe, not the regular one, can make it deeper and more muffled and smoother sounding,not the raspier sound of the regular x .
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
danl

Drives: 2013 JSB Camaro 2ss
well, I had Ed Hanson in San Diego do my exhaust, and he was the original inventor, and creator of the X pipe back in the 60's. He still displays the original one...

I had the resonator deleted, and his 3" X pipe and tubing all the way back to the flowmaster super 44's, added CIA, and vmax TB..
Ted at Jannety did my tune, and its a powerful sucker! No AFM sound, and great tune!
Oh BTW, Ed flow benches all the mufflers he sells...and the super 44's actually out flowed SW, Gibson, and (Magnaflow rear mounted oval mufflers).....
He is a real old timer hot rodder, and he wont sell crap at his shop. His son did my install, and he owned a 2010 Camaro.
but...in flowmaster, he only sells the super 44's...nothing else. no oultlaws, or 40's
danl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danl View Post
well, I had Ed Hanson in San Diego do my exhaust, and he was the original inventor, and creator of the X pipe back in the 60's. He still displays the original one...

I had the resonator deleted, and his 3" X pipe and tubing all the way back to the flowmaster super 44's, added CIA, and vmax TB..
Ted at Jannety did my tune, and its a powerful sucker! No AFM sound, and great tune!
Oh BTW, Ed flow benches all the mufflers he sells...and the super 44's actually out flowed SW, Gibson, and (Magnaflow rear mounted oval mufflers).....
He is a real old timer hot rodder, and he wont sell crap at his shop. His son did my install, and he owned a 2010 Camaro.
but...in flowmaster, he only sells the super 44's...nothing else. no oultlaws, or 40's
Well first of all dual 3" is too big and no matter the quality of the X it still needs to be in the correct harmonic. As for a Flowmaster out flowing a straight through perforated pipe, I'm gonna call BS on that one.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
Well first of all dual 3" is too big and no matter the quality of the X it still needs to be in the correct harmonic. As for a Flowmaster out flowing a straight through perforated pipe, I'm gonna call BS on that one.
wonder why no Outlaws. They are a straight through round muffler with sound rings inside but not reducing the pipe id. Unless the rings disrupt flow but doubt it, on a bolt on car at least.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowmaster exhaust, resonator delete