Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I take my cap on and off all the time drag racing and haven't noticed any pressure in the system.

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
I want to update on this situation. First, please understand we take a great deal of pride in our products, we recognize we have a problem with the cap fitment on our SC tanks and we are doing our best to resolve it as quickly as possible. Just like you guys, we don't like to experience any problems with products and we certainly never intend to inconvenience our customers!

We have decided to wait for our shipment of radiator caps before shipping out any more SC tanks. At least two of the replacement tanks we sent last week have been reported faulty here on this thread. Those tanks were pressure tested and checked for adequate thread engagement before leaving our facility. Therefore, we are convinced it is best to supply the cap directly with the tank. By supplying the cap with the tank we will be able to implement better quality control measures. In addition, we will create new tooling to cast slightly oversize threads if our new caps permit.

FYI, the difference in the sealing width on the two tanks pictured in a previous post is intentional. We are going to a more narrow sealing surface which effectively increases the pressure or load against the cap gasket.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
dmax86

Drives: 2016 Z06 C7R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
I want to update on this situation. First, please understand we take a great deal of pride in our products, we recognize we have a problem with the cap fitment on our SC tanks and we are doing our best to resolve it as quickly as possible. Just like you guys, we don't like to experience any problems with products and we certainly never intend to inconvenience our customers!

We have decided to wait for our shipment of radiator caps before shipping out any more SC tanks. At least two of the replacement tanks we sent last week have been reported faulty here on this thread. Those tanks were pressure tested and checked for adequate thread engagement before leaving our facility. Therefore, we are convinced it is best to supply the cap directly with the tank. By supplying the cap with the tank we will be able to implement better quality control measures. In addition, we will create new tooling to cast slightly oversize threads if our new caps permit.

FYI, the difference in the sealing width on the two tanks pictured in a previous post is intentional. We are going to a more narrow sealing surface which effectively increases the pressure or load against the cap gasket.

how do i go about getting a replacement? my car leaks coolant on a regular basis from the top of the reservoir. i can smell coolant pretty regularly because of this...
Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
Mike535
iRacing Pro

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax86 View Post
how do i go about getting a replacement? my car leaks coolant on a regular basis from the top of the reservoir. i can smell coolant pretty regularly because of this...
I had the same problem,just put a lot of Teflon Tape around the threads for now.It worked for me !
Mike535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post

Again, I repeat my issue is not with the cap tightening. My cap tightens fine, but the gasket won't seal on the top of the spout because there is a gap where the last thread ends. I bought two tanks one from you guys and one from LPE. The one I got from you guys looks like a turkey s***t plastic all over where the gasket should seal the one from LPE was better ( the tank I used) but leaks from the above mentioned area. Both tanks I had shipped to Canada and where quite costly with shipping and duty. Anyways I've dropped my tank off at a fab shop to have one made from aluminum and get powder coated. Just so you know I ran into another ZL1 owner that had his car modded at a shop in Alberta that installs roto fab products, he was looking under my hood and the first thing he said was " I see your tank leaks to"

Last edited by CanadianZL1#992; 09-09-2013 at 06:22 PM.
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #20
fourcammer

Drives: 7331
from what I am seeing the threads may need to be machined after wards .maybe hobbed or use a die nut .dienut would be last choice.
fourcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
dmax86

Drives: 2016 Z06 C7R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike535 View Post
I had the same problem,just put a lot of Teflon Tape around the threads for now.It worked for me !

thanks

i guess ill do that for now. i have not put anything on my car but quality parts. i def not going to keep the reservoir like it is. i either need a replacement or a refund. the D3 setup is really nice and mounts more securely IMO.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #22
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax86 View Post
thanks

i guess ill do that for now. i have not put anything on my car but quality parts. i def not going to keep the reservoir like it is. i either need a replacement or a refund. the D3 setup is really nice and mounts more securely IMO.
I really liked how the Roto-fab tank looked like it was put there from the factory. I just couldn't handle the coolant leaks anymore. People like myself take lots of pride in keeping our engine bays spotless. This of course was impossible to do with the coolant spewing out of my Roto-fab tanks.

The D3 Engineering tank is nice but it's pricey at $370. Thankfully I got in the $300 group buy thing which made it a little easier on my wallet.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
G Money

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2016 Denali HD
Well obviously the problems have not been resolved with the Roto-Fab coolant res. because I just received a call from Vengeance Racing a performance shop here in Ga. who are doing some upgrades to my car and they are having the same problem ya'll were with it not sealing properly.... Come on guys all your other products I have installed myself have been GREAT ! Why would they be sent out to customers without being tested ?
G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Drives: 13 ZL1 , 14 Silverado Crew Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
Well obviously the problems have not been resolved with the Roto-Fab coolant res. because I just received a call from Vengeance Racing a performance shop here in Ga. who are doing some upgrades to my car and they are having the same problem ya'll were with it not sealing properly.... Come on guys all your other products I have installed myself have been GREAT ! Why would they be sent out to customers without being tested ?
They tested them but with the cap the have not the one they sent so now they're waiting on one cap and making the tank after that cap specifically .. Should fix the problem I'd say!!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
G Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyb24 View Post
They tested them but with the cap the have not the one they sent so now they're waiting on one cap and making the tank after that cap specifically .. Should fix the problem I'd say!!
Not waiting for a maybe fix, just ordered the D3 will be here Tuesday !
Old 09-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #26
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Quote:
Not waiting for a maybe fix, just ordered the D3 will be here Tuesday !
It'll actually be the fix.. But ima just wait I don't drive mine much so it'll be ok for now..
Old 09-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #27
G Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyb24 View Post
It'll actually be the fix.. But ima just wait I don't drive mine much so it'll be ok for now..
I would wait to but my cars at the performance shop taking up space and time so I needed a fix. Mines not a DD either but would sure like some seat time prior to the colder temps coming.....
Old 09-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #28
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Quote:
I would wait to but my cars at the performance shop taking up space and time so I needed a fix. Mines not a DD either but would sure like some seat time prior to the colder temps coming.....
Yeah I hear ya .. Hopefully they'll have it squared away soon..