Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-07-2016, 08:33 AM   #15
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
I had a 2000 WS6 stolen in 2001. Someone from the dealership I took it to for service was involved, long story. Whether they stole it or gave the info and keys to the thief for cash. A lot of professional thieves have contacts at dealerships. They have access to your address, VIN, plate, mileage, maintenance records and sometimes work info. I would say most likely it was the same thieves/theft ring the second time. They knew you would probably get a new/2nd one or better car with the insurance pay out and then they just waited for the right time. Doesn't matter if it was in the garage or not, if they want it they will get it.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #16
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
New State Motto

California: Can't mod your cars, and if its nice it gets stolen, Welcome
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #17
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
That sucks especially about On Star. This is supposed to be one of their great selling features. Many years ago when I lived in CA I had the same car stolen twice; once from the apt parking lot and the second time from work! Even though it's a felony cops don't care or have the resources to track them down.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #18
WeflyhereSS

Drives: 2012 Black on Black Camaro 2ss
this is terrible my friend all the best
Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #19
CodemanZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Sorry to hear it, hope you get some good news soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Instead of beating up the OP when he is down, why not inspire us (and everyone you know) to track these assholes down and rid the community of them.
Agreed
CodemanZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #20
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Quote:
Nothing wrong with storing vehicles outside, what's wrong here are these scumbags taking what's not theirs. Instead of beating up the OP when he is down, why not inspire us (and everyone you know) to track these assholes down and rid the community of them. You can keep adding safe locks to your life, but if these types of people want what you have, they will find a way to get it no matter what. BEST solution is to rid them of your communities. Document and report Craigslist ads that are suspicious/fraudulent, report shops & services that are not by-the-books, report suspicious people, share important information on social networks, be alert and always know your surroundings. The only reason why things get out of hand in certain areas, are people turning the blind eye and no one caring enough to report incidents. The "It's not my problem, so why bother" mentality has made many people lazy to their surroundings and they are the ones who usually see these things happening in plain sight, without actually snapping-to and realizing that a crime is being committed. Safe lock your community by engaging others around you to think differently, respect each other, and protect each other by creating those bonds.
Exactly...well said!!!!
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #21
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Just want to clarify something about Lojack and law enforcement. LE doesn't have to "turn on" Lojack, and in fact, we don't have a way to do that. Departments who contract with Lojack have a limited number of vehicles equipped with their tracking devices. When the Lojack in your car is activated (perimeters I assume the vehicle's owner sets with Lojack), a police vehicle within a certain distance from the now activated stolen vehicle will receive a signal which shows us an alpha numeric code. We call this code into our dispatch, they call Lojack, give them the code, and Lojack tells us what make/model/color car we're looking for. The tracker gives us a signal strength and basic directional capabilities, but distances we receive and can track the signal vary based on many factors (terrain, type of structures in area, etc.).

Personally, I've had much better luck tracking iPhones and iPads......Lojack isn't a bad system, just not as responsive as I'd like....My suggestion would be a "layering" of various new and old anti-theft systems to make the car as undesirable as possible. The more time these shitheads have to take to get your car, the less they are gonna want it. I would add that if a had a car stolen out of my driveway, especially a higher end sports or luxury car, I would expect another attack if I brought the same or similar car back again and left it out. Why wouldn't you expect a scumbag thief to look at your driveway again if you had a nice car there before? Not blaming the owner, he made some effort, just saying he shouldn't have been surprised at the outcome....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #22
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
That's awful. The worst part...and I've looked...is that for some reason the Blue Ray, Blue Velvet color combination was very limited in production. It's a great color. I don't know why Chevy made so few.
RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #23
SONO-ZL1

Drives: ZL1
Sucks!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #24
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
California <==== There's your problem.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #25
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Damn. Terrible to hear. This is why i get nervous parking anywhere
Old 06-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #26
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Another piece of advice from personal experience!

If you are out and about make sure you store ZERO information like your registration which some people leave in their car. If your vehicle is stolen, now the thieves have your car and your home address. They will wait and strike again.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #27
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
While I tend to dissuade victim blaming, I usually limit that to serious cases like rape, murder, sexual assault and such. In the case of theft, it's really a tricky circumstance. I know we should rid the world of criminals, but how likely is that, considering wrong will ALWAYS be the antithesis of right. So, going back to my first statement...saying a woman wearing a short skirt deserves to be raped is far worse than saying a guy who doesn't lock his possessions away deserves to have them stolen. Now back to the gentleman who made the post about the OP not taking precautionary measures...I agree. If you live in a high crime area and have had a car stolen before, there should have been a lesson learned here. Whether he was in town or out of town during this particular incident, was not specified in his post, so that part we won't argue. I do agree that he shouldn't have to concern himself with the possibility of his car being stolen every night, but he should also accept the reality of the circumstances with which he is faced and be proactive, instead of reactive. I don't blame him for his car being stolen, but I would definitely have done more to prevent a second theft in my opinion. No garage, park it in the back yard. No yard, buy a real alarm system and set the sensitivity so that it screams if the wind blows too hard. Its unfortunate, but we must be just as vigilant in safeguarding our property as the thieves are determined in taking it.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with storing vehicles outside, what's wrong here are these scumbags taking what's not theirs. Instead of beating up the OP when he is down, why not inspire us (and everyone you know) to track these assholes down and rid the community of them. You can keep adding safe locks to your life, but if these types of people want what you have, they will find a way to get it no matter what. BEST solution is to rid them of your communities. Document and report Craigslist ads that are suspicious/fraudulent, report shops & services that are not by-the-books, report suspicious people, share important information on social networks, be alert and always know your surroundings. The only reason why things get out of hand in certain areas, are people turning the blind eye and no one caring enough to report incidents. The "It's not my problem, so why bother" mentality has made many people lazy to their surroundings and they are the ones who usually see these things happening in plain sight, without actually snapping-to and realizing that a crime is being committed. Safe lock your community by engaging others around you to think differently, respect each other, and protect each other by creating those bonds.
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #28
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I understand taking precautionary measures, but the fact is if they want your vehicle they will get it. That car probably went to a chop shop. Storing it in a closed garage definitely helps, but not everyone has that option. I will say walking out to an empty parking spot or driveway and realizing your pride and joy is gone is a terrible, sinking feeling. I hate to see that happen to anyone.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kidnapped, missing, sad, stolen, zl1