Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 02-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
onefastls1

Drives: 1998 Trans Am
Talking New Exhaust Installed - SLP LM I

Last night I finally installed my SLP Loudmouth I exhaust. I took my car to my buddy's house who had all the tools I would need. Mind you, it was 7 degrees outside! With a 1000watt halogen lamp, space heater, and some beer we were good to go!

The install took longer than expected, but this is my first "project" I have done to my car. We started a little after 8:00 P.M and did not finish until after 1:30 AM. After I disconnected the pipe from the factory y-pipe, we could not remove the exhaust from over the axle (partially due to not have a car lift and it would hit the floor). So, I had to cut the exhaust near the axle (which took longer than expected). First time using a cutoff wheel, I pushed too hard and the pipe ate the disc for dinner! haha. We had to run to the parts store and pick up a few more discs. Once the exhaust was cut, we could remove it over the axle.

I thought installing the exhaust would be harder than it was, but I was pretty impressed. The main thing that took up some time was lining up the pipes to the middle of the cut-outs in the bumper, and make sure it is not hanging low. Once you have it lined up, start tightening all the clamps.

Here comes to dumb part *palm to face*. I didn't realize until after we tightening the dual tip clamps that they are on the wrong side! Since the bump slightly curves inward, the shorter tips need to be on the inward curve. Somehow I did not catch that. Oh well! I am going to take the car to a muffler shop to have the tips tact welded on instead of using the clamps. I did notice on the way home, there is a small rattle when I start to slow down or am stopped. We made sure everything was tightened. If you grab the exhaust, it really doesn't move at all. I am think the noise is coming from the pipe going over the axle. This afternoon, I fired up the car and you could hear the rattle. I crawled under the car and grabbed the pipe that connects to the tips and the noise stopped. When I let go, I could hear it again; which it sounds like it is coming front he axle area. I'll have the muffler shop look at it when I get the tips tact welded on.

She (Jade) sound really good. To me, it does not seem obnoxiously loud, hell, I want it louder! Check out the video below of the install and a few startups (before and after exhaust was installed). I will say, the iPhone 5 does not do justice to the sound. It sounds much better in person. I'll retake another video on my HD video camera and repost it.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/p_UCUXJEB8w

Last edited by onefastls1; 02-03-2013 at 11:33 AM.
onefastls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
And this is when this:

Gets combined with Longtubes and a catted offroad Y pipe:

..Texas Speed 1 7/8ths and a TSP Catted Y pipe. Go stainless, no holes to worry about.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Lee0123567
Nope! v6.

Drives: 2001 SOM v6
What the rattling is is when the pipe goes over the axle it's hitting the body. Mine had the same problem when i had my exhaust done

Lee0123567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
onefastls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee0123567 View Post
What the rattling is is when the pipe goes over the axle it's hitting the body. Mine had the same problem when i had my exhaust done
How did you fix the issue?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Yea I have a lm2 and mine rattles. Hopefully I get under it this week and figure it out.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
You'll either need to untighten everything and move stuff around -- or a "BFH" mod (where BFH is an acronym ).
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Big Effin Hammer the fun mod!

the over the axle part needs to be just right or it will rattle, my hooker exhaust rattled very little, mostly if i had a little clutch chatter from starting out on an incline you would hear exhaust rattle a bit. the only problem with that exhaust was the drivers side hanger is in a stupid place...oh well, died with the car it was on...RIP...

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
onefastls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
You'll either need to untighten everything and move stuff around -- or a "BFH" mod (where BFH is an acronym ).
I figured I was going to have to untighten everything! Sigh! lol
Old 02-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
if you want louder, get a Powerstick and put it in place of the SLP bullet muffler.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
if you want louder, get a Powerstick and put it in place of the SLP bullet muffler.
Totally forgot about this.. They're out of Milford, 50 minutes north of me and good lord do long tubes and a powerstick sound like sex..

That's a totally stock innards 2000 Z28, pacesetter headers directly into 2 "medium" powersticks and dumped before the axle. T/A should sound like that with one in place of the bullet and with some eBay stainless headers/stainless offroad Y pipe. Cincy speed can do all the hard parts for ya. The powersticks can run 75 max and clamp right in.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
HEAVY METAL
Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
With a 1000watt halogen lamp, space heater, and some beer we were good to go!
nuff said....

Well done bro!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Nice! I'm running an LM1 with a magnaflow muffler instead of the hollow pipe SLP gives you. It was nice until I did the heads/cam swap and then it was just ridiculous.

The rattling that I had before having the muffler shop weld on my Corsa clones was the pipe hitting the PHB mount as it came down from over the axle. When the tips were welded on the exhaust shop I went to realigned everything.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote