Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Aluminum/Metal Value Stem Caps: Beware

So I'm a stickler for having caps on valve stems. Every time I've inspected someone's failed valve, it's been due to corrosion caused by water/brine getting into a valve with no cap on it or occasionally debris that gets in them again due to not having a cap. I should note that I'm OCD about certain things, and so I can't have an unmatched set.

Beginning of Winter. As the temps are dropping, I'm topping up on air pressure every few weeks. I must have lost a cap at some point. Go check my bag of miscellaneous car parts, and find 4 caps. Nice ones too. Aluminum, painted black. Not fancy. Nice. Temps eventually settle, I don't have to top off on air any more. Proceed happily through winter with my 1LE has my daily driver.

March 24th (last Sunday) was the autocross season opener for MSNE. Get to the parking lot, start prepping the car. Go to remove the value stem caps to drop pressures ... left front won't budge. Go to the others, not budging. Ask around for pliers, my neighbor has a set. With ever increasing pressure trying to get these off, I eventually snapped the valve stem itself (not the cap). The moisture/salt of winter, has oxidized the aluminum caps to the aluminum stems. Thankfully, I didn't damage the valve itself, and it continued to hold air. I had to run the autocross at 42 PSI cold (about 46 PSI hot). Anecdotally, I missed podium (third place in class) by 15 thousandths of a second - which EASILY would have been corrected by being able to drop air pressures to proper levels.

While Amazon has our TPMS sensors for $40/each, they were out of stock until May. Had to go to my local stealership who charged me $84.99 each for the exact same AC Delco part number. So all in, this set of $1.99 aluminum valve stem caps is costing me around $550 for 4 new TPMS sensors, 4 TPMS nuts, a 25 pack of quality PLASTIC valve stem caps, and installation/balance.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
dynoray

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1 LE
i feel for you,i work for a garage and we see all too often the metal type tire sensor stems breaking alot, even with the caps on! we always change to the rubber stem type sensors when we have this issue. we get them from Napa,they are the smart sensor brand and also now theres one sensor for both frequencies. we have the program tool,but our local Napa says they program them for customers. my 2013 1LE still has the factory metal stems and i keep a close eye on them. seem to be ok,as i dont drive it much in winter. i may go to the rubber stem type when i get new tires.
dynoray is offline   Reply With Quote