Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #29
KahunaSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaSS View Post
I can't believe I'm hearing about this. i have a 2011 and i started to smell antifreeze .. slightly not strong ( didn't realize what it was) i can only smell it if the AC or HEAT is off and its just the outside air blowing through the car. I noticed my radiator was low and the Res was empty. I checked the floor and nothing! the carpet is super clean. and with that dexcool i would think it would leave a stain.. I also filled it and back up using maybe 2/3 of a bottle of antifreeze. Not sure if this is the heater core but i pray its not. The past month i have nothing but bad luck with my car. with dumb crap...lights going out. leather seat got ripped, nail in tire, ...then the mother of all bitc--es hail.. ( replaced windshield) started to smell the " the smell" right before i dropped it off at the collision center at the dealer.... i told them my story they said..... " maybe it evaporated" my brain hurt a little when he said that so they are going to check it when it gets done from collision.. but i also read on this forum that its common for GM to cross thread one of the engine coolant lines.. don't ask me how.. I hope you get a good core. maybe you can have the dealer give u the core and see if there is anyway u can reinforce it before they install it.. ( just a thought)... I praayyyy its not my core... Theres is No leaks on my core ..There is no leaks on my core ( as i tap my Ruby Boots ) ... Have you though of suing GM for the burns on your wifes feet? did you take her to the ER? If a woman can sue for scalding coffee on her lap because there isn't a label marked ( caution hot coffee) on a cup then there must be a way since they don't have a label by you wifes feet that says "caution hot coolant" don't stop the good fight..
i forgot to mention my car is paid off already! and i have a platinum warranty.. so how was your heater core covered? i thought it wasn't covered under power train.. is that bumper to bumper?
KahunaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #30
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
First one failed under factory warranty. They warranty that part for one year. It made it 4 months. Then when the other dealer took it apart he found many missing/broken screws.parts/tabs/etc. BUT the heater core had still failed. New one had one year warranty. Made it 9 months. Just called AGAIN to see if they have determined the failure. 3 weeks today car in shop. 31 days in the shop before this repair, now 52 days total in the shop. While I'm paying the payment, insurance, XM, Onstar....for a car I dont have. 3 failures in a 13 month period. Told the dealer IF I do take the car back at some point the entire carpeting and mats have to be replaced as 3 heater core failures have dumped at least 1/2-1 gallon of coolant inside. The way the heater core is mounted it can trickle down the right side of the hump into the carpet padding before you realize it. You have to stick your hand way up there to the top of the carpet and down between the carpet and padding to find a smaller leak. When it really start to leak, you make a left turn and about a cup just pours out below the glove box right onto your passengers feet. Nice. 210 degree coolant.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #31
DeanCamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I just got finished replacing my heater core, and let me tell you it surely is a chore, windshield has to come out and all.
DeanCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #32
Henry G.

So there is something wrong with these things. Really, they should last MANY years, usually the life (20+ years) of the car...Chevy needs to own up what they heck is going on here...to those that read this and think its not going to happen to them.....well I hope not. But you also better be ready too!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #33
KahunaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Take it to the dealer to have checked out if you are under warranty. Its now nearly 3 weeks and my car is still at the dealer, (and will be for some time..) no one from chevy will talk to me. Just keep getting the runaround. Dealer is being good though, he is only slow because he is a small dealer. Windshield is out, dash is part out, hopefully confirmation of heater core failure this week? Then what? Even he doesn't know he is just gonna fix it thats his involvement. This is up to GM to make right. Tommorow will be the 51st day total, so far, my Camaro will have been in the shop for this defect, while I continue to make the payment.
I can't believe I'm hearing about this. i have a 2011 and i started to smell antifreeze .. slightly not strong ( didn't realize what it was) i can only smell it if the AC or HEAT is off and its just the outside air blowing through the car. I noticed my radiator was low and the Res was empty. I checked the floor and nothing! the carpet is super clean. and with that dexcool i would think it would leave a stain.. I also filled it and back up using maybe 2/3 of a bottle of antifreeze. Not sure if this is the heater core but i pray its not. The past month i have nothing but bad luck with my car. with dumb crap...lights going out. leather seat got ripped, nail in tire, ...then the mother of all bitc--es hail.. ( replaced windshield) started to smell the " the smell" right before i dropped it off at the collision center at the dealer.... i told them my story they said..... " maybe it evaporated" my brain hurt a little when he said that so they are going to check it when it gets done from collision.. but i also read on this forum that its common for GM to cross thread one of the engine coolant lines.. don't ask me how.. I hope you get a good core. maybe you can have the dealer give u the core and see if there is anyway u can reinforce it before they install it.. ( just a thought)... I praayyyy its not my core... Theres is No leaks on my core ..There is no leaks on my core ( as i tap my Ruby Boots ) ... Have you though of suing GM for the burns on your wifes feet? did you take her to the ER? If a woman can sue for scalding coffee on her lap because there isn't a label marked ( caution hot coffee) on a cup then there must be a way since they don't have a label by you wifes feet that says "caution hot coolant" don't stop the good fight..
Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #34
KahunaSS

please file a complaint so we can have these parts recalled

if we all file complaints through these sites gm will be forced to recall these heater cores... gm won't do it.. they don't want to lose money.. right now they are recalling our keys!!! because our knee can hit them causing the car to shut off !! what if your driving 75mph your wife gets hot ass coolant on her feet or your chid and you lose control from being frightened and crash?? or the windshield suddenly fogs up and you can't see and bang you crash! this is a little more serious than just a coolant problem.. if they recall a key they can recall this.. go here. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 08-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #35
KahunaSS

Quote:
Got mine back after 3 weeks, this dealer much better than last one. Car still has smell of coolant, cant seem to get rid of it, hopefully it will fade. If the 3rd one leaks I'm trading the car in and Chevy is gonna eat it.
Heater cores are starting to leak causing problems for our drivers,, Not only is it expensive to fix it can also be dangerous,, Imagine you driving at a certain speed and you son or wife is on the passenger side and you son is wearing sandals or your wife is wearing heels and she screams in pain and scares the hell out of you and you lose control on the car and crash? Not very safe.. or your driving and the window keeps fogging and you can't see and you crash.. you over heat and break down somewhere and your car won't start and your in the middle of the road and some drunk a- hole hits you... Right now Chevy has issued a recall for out damn key.. because we can hit it with our knee cause the car to turn off and us losing control... sounds like the same thing if you car shut off from over heating and i have never heard of that problem,,, please file a complaint so we can all be assured if ours goes it can be fixed,, I'm starting to smell fluid and i have a 11 ss and it has 37000 miles... contact https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and fill out the form... lets fix this matter...
Old 08-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #36
Henry G.

EXACTLY. This IS a dangerous condition as well as a health issue. Inhaling coolant fumes cannot be good for you health either. Thanks for your support. Calling the dealer again today, 22 days in the shop didnt return my call yesterday., I think GM is stalling them. Rental car bill is up to $700 so far, this repair will be at least 3K, they are bleeding money for the 3rd time on this car.
Ok, now its tomorrow. Its leaking but they dont know where from. Says he has to talk the regional GM rep again then will call me back tomorrow. Tune in tomorrrow.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:26 AM   #37
KahunaSS

Quote:
EXACTLY. This IS a dangerous condition as well as a health issue. Inhaling coolant fumes cannot be good for you health either. Thanks for your support. Calling the dealer again today, 22 days in the shop didnt return my call yesterday., I think GM is stalling them. Rental car bill is up to $700 so far, this repair will be at least 3K, they are bleeding money for the 3rd time on this car.
Ok, now its tomorrow. Its leaking but they dont know where from. Says he has to talk the regional GM rep again then will call me back tomorrow. Tune in tomorrrow.
i hope they do right by you. i would have told them you almost crashed.. i can imagine my wife screaming while I'm driving.. sh--t.... they should def at least list the problem as a possible recall and fix it if it does go bad,, i smell slight coolant but they say no leak.. I'm waiting for it to start gushing. in the mean time I'm buying my bumper to bumper again.. it costs the same as getting the damn heater core fixed.. good luck buddy
Old 08-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #38
Henry G.

Just an update. My car has been at the dealer for a MONTH. Every time I call, no one knows whats going, apparently the car still has NOT been diagnosed! The rental bill (which I am not having to pay for) is already over $1000. This is crazy. the car has been at the dealer(s) for over 62 days so far in 2 1/2 years.
Let everyone know when I get updated. If you smell anything take it to the dealer. Mine smelled for weeks before it dumped hot coolant on my wifes foot the first time. Is this how GM takes care of its customers?
Update: another form letter back from GM customer service. I'm really trying to work with GM on this, but I think its time to lawyer up.

Last edited by Henry G.; 08-25-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #39
Henry G.

Finally diagnosed today. Failed heater core. They dont solder the heater cores together anymore, they crimp them. The crimp on the inlet tube failed and leaked. They are tearing out the carpet and waiting for a direct ship replacement. End of next week. They hope. Sending documents to lawyer tomorrow.
The only reason I posted here is because back in 2012 me and a couple other guys convinced C5 to start this forum, because the LFX is so different that the previous models. So have fun modding like I do, but be aware there is defective part out there just waiting to ruin your day. Or 63 of them in my case.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #40
BlueRayLFX

Drives: BRM 2LT RS "Mara"
So wait, is this a widespread LFX problem? Freak accident? Only 2012LFX problem? Damn this is starting to freak me out. I don't smell anything but the last thing I want is to be sitting on this car with the heater core waiting to explode on me.
BlueRayLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #41
RallyellowRS

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
OMG!!! Before reading this I was paranoid about my warranty ending in January 2015, I was even going to look into extending it. I'm defiantly looking into it now.
RallyellowRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #42
Henry G.

Last time it was almost 2k charged by the dealer to GM. Its VERY labor and parts expensive. The windshield has to be removed. The dash comes out thru the windshield, piece by piece. The seal on the windshield is ruined when it is removed so a new windshield is required each time. That part alone is $400. This time with carpet and mats, it should be closer to 3k. And the rental is going to cost them nearly 2k. It gives me some satisfaction, but it doesn't make my car stop breaking down, or burning my wifes feet, or make me feel better. I'm so paranoid everytime I think I smell coolant I freak out. The wife of the tech that is working on it had emergency surgery last night, so he is gone for the rest of the week. So I should have it back in 2-3 weeks. That will be 8 weeks total at the dealership. THIS time. The dealer is a small one but told me he has done 2 others beside mine.