Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
If found that a flush was used in the engine, and debris caused damage to the engine, GM can deny a warranty according to their bulletin. They do not recommend alternative cleanings, only approved procedures. Just be careful as it can be denied. A catch can is a good investment.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
If found that a flush was used in the engine, and debris caused damage to the engine, GM can deny a warranty according to their bulletin. They do not recommend alternative cleanings, only approved procedures. Just be careful as it can be denied. A catch can is a good investment.
Sycraft,

Thank you for the info.

To be clear, NO "flush" was performed.

This is a GM approved procedure done by a Chevrolet dealer. Zero warranty implications with this procedure when done by the dealer. I asked.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Any time a product like that gets run through my car, I like to change the oil afterwards. Not good if any gets in the oil and dilutes it, etc. Probably a bit paranoid, but good preventative maintenance.

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Any time a product like that gets run through my car, I like to change the oil afterwards. Not good if any gets in the oil and dilutes it, etc. Probably a bit paranoid, but good preventative maintenance.

John B.
Agreed. Tomorrow's project.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
Adrenaline12

Drives: Synergy Green 2SS
Is this like running sea foam?
Adrenaline12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline12 View Post
Is this like running sea foam?
Similar, but it needs to be sprayed thru the throttle body.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Just an FYI, Seafoam in aerosol form is called Deep Creep. Same shelf, different packaging.

John B.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #22
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
How is that even remotely possible? It has been pointed out in thread after thread, the fuel in a direct-injected engine doesn't get introduced into the engine until it hits the combustion chamber just before ignition. It does not pass over the valves at any point, and it can't help clean them.

Use logic.

John B.
Don't ask me. Maybe he didn't know my car was direct injected?

He's a Honda tech and I was relaying info. Why do people insist on taking things completely out of context and then adding their own stupidity to cap it off.

Congrats man you fit the internet forum status quo. Why can't we all be friends...
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
JohnnyBfromPeoria

I am trying to keep it in the context of a V-6 Camaro of the 2010+ series. Why would you add details that pertain to a Honda?

We are getting along...I thought.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #24
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
So I've heard about this upper induction cleaning before, and remember them saying it had a great affect on their performance, but I don't really remember reading of a Camaro V6 owner doing it yet, so this is interesting to me.

Can you give me more details? How many miles were on your car whenever the work was done?

Exactly how is this process done? Does the dealer just spray something into the intake or do they actually remove the manifold and use a tool to clean the gunk off of them? I know you can see the valves directly if you take the intake manifold off. I've had mine off a couple times, but I never actually looked at them. I kick myself for not doing that.

My car only has about 12,000 miles on it, and I've been running a catch can since it had a few thousand on it I believe, so I'd be real curious to see how well it actually works. It is catching oil, but that doesn't mean its stopping everything.

There is another 2010 owner on here that has been running a catch can for awhile and he plans to change out his intake for a ported one in a month or so. I'm going to contact him and make sure he gets some good shots of his valves.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #25
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
The upper induction cleaning is ok, but to get it really clean you need to do something like this:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645616
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #26
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
So I've heard about this upper induction cleaning before, and remember them saying it had a great affect on their performance, but I don't really remember reading of a Camaro V6 owner doing it yet, so this is interesting to me.

Can you give me more details? How many miles were on your car whenever the work was done?

Exactly how is this process done? Does the dealer just spray something into the intake or do they actually remove the manifold and use a tool to clean the gunk off of them? I know you can see the valves directly if you take the intake manifold off. I've had mine off a couple times, but I never actually looked at them. I kick myself for not doing that.

My car only has about 12,000 miles on it, and I've been running a catch can since it had a few thousand on it I believe, so I'd be real curious to see how well it actually works. It is catching oil, but that doesn't mean its stopping everything.

There is another 2010 owner on here that has been running a catch can for awhile and he plans to change out his intake for a ported one in a month or so. I'm going to contact him and make sure he gets some good shots of his valves.
Yes you did. Thank - you. As soon as I swap out the intakes (and do some gasket matching), I will be taking plenty of photos inside my vavle area. I installed the catch can at 13,500 miles and now have over 45,000 on the system. I seem to catch apporx. 1 ounce of oil gunk per 1000 miles traveled. I would hate to think how bad it would look in there with 30 more ounces of crap going into my enigne.

This is not a two stroke snowmobile engine......
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #27
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Need to see some before and after pics. throwing chemicals down before the valves cannot be good for the cats. if used frequently probably would be subject to fouling.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #28
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
The upper induction cleaning is ok, but to get it really clean you need to do something like this:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645616
Good stuff there.

Exactly why I asked above what all is involved in the upper induction cleaning process. Do they really clean them well, or just spray some gunk remove on them and then at that point, do they clean it out by hand, or end up "flushing" the deposits through the engine? (which I would think wouldn't be a good thing)