Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Black ICE vs MACE 25mm

ok folks...here it is. something a lot of you have been waiting patiently for.

as a lot of you know, i was previously running with MACE's 25mm insulator. Tracy was kind enough to send me a Black ICE to do a comparison test and i finally managed to get some dyno time this afternoon. this write up will give factual data and comparison data (aka: butt dyno).

3wks ago i made the switch to the Black ICE so i could run it through its course for comparison purposes. i was a bit skeptical, but it did perform as Tracy claims by reducing the heat soak. heat soak temps weren't taken during this test with a thermometer, but after sitting, heat temps on the IM climbed faster over time vs the MACE-o-lator, can probably contribute that mostly to the thickness of the insulators in comparison.

so...today i reset the tune as i didn't want the ECU to have any learn value of one insulator over the other. 1mi drive to the dyno shop and the Black ICE was up first and pulled 279HP. marilyn (the camaro's given name) sat on the dyno while the insulators were swapped out and the MACE-o-lator was dyno'ed about 1hr 20min later. one thing i've noticed, is this motor pulls better as it warms up as all the consecutive pulls continue to gain 2-3HP. if i had the dyno for the day, then i would have swapped out parts and let the ECU relearn, but nobody got paid other than the dyno shop. the comparison was done this way so there could be no disputing of weather (temp, baro, humidity) or different dyno's, or any other factor that might skew the results. obviously, resetting the tune and driving exactly 50mi's for each insulator would provide more drastic results but i don't have the time or money to foot that bill. just a simple side by side comparison.

Black ICE = 279 HP / 250 TQ green line
MACE-o-lator = 276 HP / 255 TQ pinkish/grey line

TEMP: awaiting update
HUMIDITY: "
BARO: "
FUEL: E85

those were the facts...

here's what my butt dyno tells me...

after making the swap to the Black ICE and putting some good miles on it is when i started to pay attention to my butt dyno. there was a bit more pep in the step, but didn't really set in till around 4K RPM. it was noticeable, but just not the same as with the MACE-o-lator. MACE's 25mm starts around 2500ish RPM and pulls hard up till redline. this is where i believe putting more miles on the car between pulls would have been the most beneficial. the increase in runner length is also evident with the shift of the HP band to the left by about 250 RPM.

conclusion:

both products are a must, especially when it comes to bang for the buck, for the price, you can't go wrong with either. both are top quality backed by great customer service and support. both install easily, a true DIY install.

one thing i like about the MACE-o-lator is the ease to port match it to both the IM and heads (pre-matched during production).

Black ICE bolts up using OEM bolts.

My personal unbiased preference (simply based on performance) is the MACE 25mm as its a night and day difference on the road. for those with the vararam, you know what im talking about.

thanks goes to both Tracy and Steve for the opportunity to be involved with product development and their contribution to the C5 community...
Attached Images

Last edited by hapisok; 03-30-2012 at 07:50 PM.
hapisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
wow awesome review man!
This should be good news for those who are on the fence Both a re great products, both pull great numbers, now where does one want the power band? Well that all depends on the specific driver.
I love the Black Ice VR combo, the reason I bought it was because I knew they would work well together for sure. Shortly after I realized the MACE 25 works with the VR.
Either way happy, either way no one can go wrong. Im curious in all honesty to try the Maceolator
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
thanks for the review.
how much rwhp are you putting out with all your mods ? and do you have the cam in ? pm me please
Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

i agree, they are both great and work. wish i could have spent the day working this, dyno one in the am...drive and the other in the afternoon. would have shown more dramatic and realistic gains for each. the power band shift is very interesting, and hope to do some more work in this area in the future. like you said, it comes down to the driver. personally, i'd rather be quick than fast...1/4 mi is only...well, a 1/4 mi.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Wow...this is awesome.

Really fantastic to get this sort of info from the streets and not just from us vendors. It's one thing to hear it from all of us but when it comes from the customers I feel that it speaks volumes more than any of us ever could.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to share this with everybody here.

What a great forum.
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Thanks for doing this comparison. Just for kicks, I would like to see the black ice-olator stacked on top of the mace 25mm.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Thanks for doing this comparison. Just for kicks, I would like to see the black ice-olator stacked on top of the mace 25mm.
i've been kicking it around myself. but my goal is to increase runner length and go from there. guess we'll see.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Midlife Crisis

Drives: 2LT/RS
I just finished installing my 25mm Mace this afternoon and found that the Mace pulled very hard from 2500rpm to the red line as well. I also found that at 2000rpm I had a lot more power than before. I don't know if it was the sum of all the recent mods but I am very pleased with Mace.
Thank you for your review.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Aaron, you are the man bro!! Look like you really can't go wrong with either and each has a slight difference in hp/tq but as expected. Longer runner length, more peak tq(there's over 10ft lb of tq difference in mid rpm). Shorter runner length, more peak hp.

No more mace vs iceolator bullshyt

Both win!
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Bmore,

You're running Mace + Vararam right? I really need to see your car in person so I can see the fit vs. my Vararam only.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
I will tell you now...there was no way for me to run vararam the way it come with 25mm insulator. I had to modify the rear neck to an angle to make it work for the front gap to have enough room for air. I actually made the gap bigger too. It scared me a little since I didn't know if the angle was going to mess up the original airflow characteristic, but everything look good, from my fuel trims to ignition timing, perfect!

I can put up some pics or I can even meet up with you one day.. just let me know.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
I have been waiting for a write up like this since these two products hit the market. Like it was said, where do you want your power band to be at. Well mine is going for the 1/4 mile -1/8 mile so it looks as if my money will be going towards Mace. Thanks for your time and effort plus money to really nail down these awesome products.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Well done. We respect the Mace products as we do any other porven competing products that we know are good and perform as advertised, direct competitor or not we post it like we see it and some dont want to here that (were talking all products we manufacture or endorse). When we praise a competitors product it has earned it, and the same as when we point out those falling short. Any that know us well know we do our evaluations based upon actual findings and dont play brand or corporate politics as so many do. I know many think it makes no sense to acknolwledge anothers products as good or great when they compete against us and then the personal ego's pop up and it can turn into blind side taking and that is never good for any involved. But as with other products we have praised, the Mace units perform as advertised and we respect them and what they have accomplished. You cant go worng with either.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Nice to see the side by side comparison and runner length theories seem to be held up with the evidence. little more hp with shorter and a little more torque with the longer. Good to see it in black and white thanks for you effort!