Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #267
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Finally made it out to Atco tonight. It was an awful night for me trying to find traction. But the auto 5th gens did good. StealthPanda hit mid 12s running on all season tires. We had a fun run where he got a huge jump on me and I had to run him down on the big end. It was close. He has a good running L99. BilySpeed with his Kenne Bell powered vert took me down 4 times in a row. Autos are the plan at the drag strip.

Pat was there. We didn't bother running with me mired in the mid 12s. He spent his night embarrassing a Turbo 911 and running neck and neck with a tuned Hellcat with DRs.

They've figured out how to tune Hellcats? Last I knew the PCM was locked from the factory.
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:20 AM   #268
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabamaro View Post
They've figured out how to tune Hellcats? Last I knew the PCM was locked from the factory.
Maybe not. That's just what the guy said. If not then the Hellcat was running 10.7s with just DRs and bad track prep. I think it was auto.

Pat's GT was just a tenth or two slower, but he can cut good lights. The first time they met Pat beat him 4 for 4. Go Pat. But tonight the HC owner had a little more seat time so it was a toss up.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #269
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabamaro View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400002
705rwhp 629rwtq
Old 03-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #270
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Finally made it out to Atco tonight. It was an awful night for me trying to find traction. But the auto 5th gens did good. StealthPanda hit mid 12s running on all season tires. We had a fun run where he got a huge jump on me and I had to run him down on the big end. It was close. He has a good running L99. BilySpeed with his Kenne Bell powered vert took me down 4 times in a row. Autos are the plan at the drag strip.

Pat was there. We didn't bother running with me mired in the mid 12s. He spent his night embarrassing a Turbo 911 and running neck and neck with a tuned Hellcat with DRs.

It was very nice to meet you, and I had a lot of fun. I didn't get to chat with the owner of the vert SS for too long. Other than the wheel hop run when I started to swerve, it was really entertaining. To think, I almost had you :( It was a great race, but you pulled so hard on the top end. It was no contest then, even though it looked close. Pats mustang is serious business.
I thirst for a cam and drag radials now. Bad news bears.
Thanks,
Jason
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #271
Pushrod Pete

Drives: Camaro 1LE
I really enjoy your thread, Fraxum.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think a full bolt ons and cam/heads 1LE would run? I saw you had the fastest recorded 1LE on the fast list with bolt ons, so I figured you were the best to ask.
Pushrod Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #272
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod Pete View Post
I really enjoy your thread, Fraxum.
Just out of curiosity, what do you think a full bolt ons and cam/heads 1LE would run? I saw you had the fastest recorded 1LE on the fast list with bolt ons, so I figured you were the best to ask.
Thanks for the props. I think the reason that time is still standing is there are not very many 1LEs running at drag strips. It is very sad compared to L99 and SS LS3 times. I do think the gearing holds 1LEs back a bit. Definitely stock the Goodyears hold the car back. And the suspension being stiffer prevents some weight transfer. And of course the M6. If you look at the stock displacement, internal mods fast list it is 2/3s L99s. But one LS3 did hit 10s.

I do know I could have tuned my car, upgraded to ET streets, put in a better clutch, and come much closer to the 11s if not high 11s in mineshaft Atco air with bolt-ons. But I wanted to try out turbos and moved on. What I did find out to go fast at the drag strip given equal HP, centrifugals, PD blowers, and of course autos are the plan to go fast at the track. The drawback of the superchargers are heat soak. There is this Real Street event coming up where you run down the track without shutting car off. Rear mount Turbos are great for that!

So my guess would be a full on, H/C bolton 1LE could go mid 11s with some practice. About where BillySpeed and I are now. With slicks, skinnies, a two step, and some serious weight loss even faster. With M6 Camaros we are the weak link.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #273
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthpanda View Post
It was very nice to meet you, and I had a lot of fun. I didn't get to chat with the owner of the vert SS for too long. Other than the wheel hop run when I started to swerve, it was really entertaining. To think, I almost had you :( It was a great race, but you pulled so hard on the top end. It was no contest then, even though it looked close. Pats mustang is serious business.
I thirst for a cam and drag radials now. Bad news bears.
Thanks,
Jason
Plan on some Trailing Arms, outer TA bushings, toe rods and possibly cradle bushings to cure the wheelhop. 18" DRs with would help too. With an L99 you can easily get into the 11s. Talk to Rhino79 currently at the top of the Camaro SS Internal Engine Mods plus Bolt-Ons Stock Displacement fast list running mid 10s. Notice 133 MPH.

With a little work and $$ you can beat me straight up even without going FI. And maybe gun for Pat too. He is still waiting for a 5th gen that can run with him at Atco. So far it's Pat 20+, Camaro 5th gens 0. Even from being stock to now no 5th gen has beat him in the street lanes. Just be aware he usually cuts .0nn lights. I am pretty good at the lights too. Got a .003 last Tuesday. It's the rest of the run that gives me trouble.

Funny fact. Just so I could give BillySpeed a good run Pat lent me his 5.0. I just barely beat him. If he would have had his best run of the night I would have lost. I do not know how to get the most out of Pat's car. What I can tell you I feel much more secure at 125+ mph in my 1LE than in Pat's 5.0. It just that he gets there so much faster.

Last edited by Fraxum; 03-19-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #274
Fraxum

Good nite at Atco

Finally we had a spring day with highs of 60 degrees F and no rain. The Thursday night rain date for last Tuesday's rain out was on. It was a little before 6 PM when I rolled into the staging lanes. There were only a few cars there in the lanes. But as soon as I pulled up they called the Gamblers for their first timed run.

Okay so no no big deal I can wait for the first run. But it wasn't until 2 hours later that first run would happen. There were two fluid spills that delayed the action enough so the Gamblers were called up again. Then a Gambler car did the same. Another delay. I really can't complain. I have held up the action too.

But anyway there was enough time left for five runs. And the TT 1LE felt awesome for the first time in a long time. I had swapped ot my Nitto NT555Rs and bought Pat's used ET Streets. They were a little shorter than the Nittos and a better match for the tires on the front of the car.

So for the first run I went with 7 pounds of boost just to get the feel of the new setup. I did not really push it and made a smooth run. I thought that was a nice low 12 run but even though my 60' was average, I ran 11.970 @121 with a 2.008 60'. Woah! I was able to keep my foot in it through first gear. What a difference. This was to be the slowest run of the night.

Next time I pumped the boost to 10 pounds and decided to leave harder. From the beginning I knew it was a good run. I felt the pull in the pit of my stomach all the way though first gear. I was excited to get my slip. I figured I finally made it into the 11.5s, but I ran 11.426@124.76! And that was only with a 1.800 60'. So by far my best time but not even with my best 60' which was 1.73 on the Nittos. The car has more in it. That turned out to be my best run of the night. The other three were 11.618, 11.71, and 11.809 in that order as the DA went up with a best mph of 126.49. And this was on a night where Pat could not break into the 10s. He ran 11.0s on his 5 runs.

Also there were a number of 5th gens there thanks to the South Jersey Camaro club. We were well represented with three 5th gens running consistent 11s. Except for Pat those Mustangs were seeing lots of pretty Camaro taillights.

Can't wait to go back and see where I can get to with more practice. I think I can crack the 11.2s. That is still not enough to challenge Pat, but at least I can stay close enough to read the GT on his gas cap.

There was a M6 Hellcat there barely breaking into the 11s on street tires. I was hoping to run him but he bailed on me at the last minute. Hell Chicken!

My last run of the night was against one of those pesky AWD Mitsubishis. He treed me but our 60s were very close. I was running him down at the end but he had a nice lead. He ran 11.7 to my 11.8. I was soft shifting thinking I could run him down, but his car was too quick. Rematch! Close racing is even better than PBs.

Im #22 (really the number on my car was 212)

Last edited by Fraxum; 04-03-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #275
Anythingfast954

Drives: Camaro ss rs/m6
Love this car and the set-up. Great work. I'd like to see it on welds.do you think it will help?
Your 60's are really good.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:16 AM   #276
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anythingfast954 View Post
Love this car and the set-up. Great work. I'd like to see it on welds.do you think it will help?
Your 60's are really good.
Yes, maybe a little. My 18" Nurburgings are around 20 pounds. I would think 17" Welds are a little lighter. I would not want to dump my rear calipers to go smaller. Also I can go a little more aggressive on the tire. I have ET Streets II. I could go with ET Street R. But the Rs do not come in the 305x35x18 size which fits my car great. So right now my tire wheel setup is about as far as I can go.

I could get skinnies, but I do not want the hassle. And I do not want to take the seats out or other extreme lightening methods. So my car weighs about 4,100 pounds or whatever a M6 Sunroof ZL1 weighs.

I think I can knock another tenth or 2 off with more practice. If I want to go 10s I think I would need to go to 13-14 pounds with Meth and race gas at my 1LEs weight. Or maybe I get lucky with a perfect on a mineshaft air Atco night.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #277
Fraxum

Not a good night at the track. We waited for so many track cleanups. Then a Dodge Charger SRT kissed the wall hard. I did not see it, but I heard the car was loose and driver tried to stay in it. Dumb. Luckily I think he was okay. But the Dodge was toast.

Pat was there playing with low 10 second Z06es and of course scored another 10.8 et even with a sucky 60 foot.

As for me things started out good with a clean 12.0 on low boost. And later running in the 11s at 124 mph at 10 pounds. But then oddly my ET fell into the 12s with my MPH still in the 120s. And the car was popping and missing strangely at the top of third gear.

Well it turns out my clutch was letting go and I was bumping up against the rev limiter. The clutch is a Centerforce DYAD with 1,600 miles on it. I did break it in correctly as advised. It only had about 15 runs on it and I was not beating on it. It must have some kind of problem as the DYAD has a good rep. Right now if I give the car any push at all in the upper gears the clutch lets go. It was a bit hairy uphill on the NJ TP, but we made it to Ideal Garage with no problem.

Ideal Garage is pulling the trans for a diagnoses. This is a bit of a pain in the butt as the turbos ahve to come off. If I have to wait for a rebuild I might just pop a Mantic 9000 in there and sell the rebuilt DYAD. I hear good things about those clutches too.

So now the ZLE is out of commission for a while just like last year.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #278
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Never seen a DYAD do well. Plenty of horror stories just like this. Would never touch a CF clutch.

Sorry you wasted time/money on it.

I would go right to a street slayer.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #279
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Never seen a DYAD do well. Plenty of horror stories just like this. Would never touch a CF clutch.

Sorry you wasted time/money on it.

I would go right to a street slayer.
I have heard good reviews too about the DYAD. But I guess it can be hit or miss. (Edit: Now with more research mostly miss) While I have heard good reliability from the Street Slayer I have also heard it wasn't all that pleasant to drive with. But then all these 2 D clutches make more noise than stock clutches I guess.

The car is coming apart now at Ideal. They handle Street Slayer and Mantic. I probably will pick one of these two and rebuild the DYAD to sell. I should be able to get CF to rebuild for free. This should help me recoup some of the $2,300 including install I have in this clutch.

As Jerry Jr. from Ideal told me, you have to pay to play. Boy have I paid. As of now I could have a Hellcat even with some ADM for what I have in my 1LE. I did pick up .9 seconds from my bolton ET! I did have fun. But my patience is running thin. I saved my bolton stuff just in case. I may need it.

Last edited by Fraxum; 07-01-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #280
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Never seen centerforce stand up and warranty or help anyone out. Best of luck.