Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
LENN2010Z28

Drives: 2010 Camaro Z28
SLP Headers / High Flow Cats (CHECK ENG LIGHT ON) HELP

I INSTALLED SLP LONG TUBE HEADERS WITH HIGH FLOW CATS NOW HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON ANYONE PLEASE HELP WITH WHAT I CAN DO.
I HAVE A 2010 CAMARO SS 6.2 SIX SPEED AIRAID COLD AIR INTAKE. I INSTALLED THE HEADERS ABOUT 1000 MILES AGO I HAD NO PROBLEM UNTIL NOW I HAD IT TO THE DEALER THEY TURNED IT OUT AND THE CEL IS NOW BACK ON ANYONE PLEASE ??????????????????????????????????:y ikes::yi kes:
LENN2010Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Welcome to the club

You have two options, tune out the aft o2 sensors or put up with them throwing a code, not ment to be harsh, just a fact of life.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Silver Ice Man

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Spring limited edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbusa View Post
Welcome to the club

You have two options, tune out the aft o2 sensors or put up with them throwing a code, not ment to be harsh, just a fact of life.
Yepper, get it tuned, or get used to the CEL.
Does it throw the code immediately, or does it take a while to come on?
Mine was as soon I started the car, turned out one of the O2 senor wire extensions was wired backwards, once corrected it took a few miles before it came on, so now I run the SCT tuner with tune from Jannetty racing.
MODS: CIA cold air intake, Oil catch can, Dynatech LT Headers, Dynatech Power cats, Dynatech Cat back exhaust, Janetty racing tune, Vitesse throttle controller, Headlight and marker tint, more to follow....
Silver Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
I would have thought since slp was a authorized part manufacture for Gm there would not be a code error. What does the code cause? any issues? loss of hp? MPG? any idea
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
The code doesn't cause anything. 99% of the time, it's P0420/0430 which is catalyst efficiency. Long tubes push the cats farther back in the exhaust stream, outside of their optimal operating temperature range, which means they won't do their job worth a damn anymore.

Turn the codes off, or deal with the codes. I'm pretty sure those MIL eliminators for O2 sensors were banned.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by montej23 View Post
I would have thought since slp was a authorized part manufacture for Gm there would not be a code error. What does the code cause? any issues? loss of hp? MPG? any idea
The key word there is "was". That was 10 years ago on 4th gens, and even then they didn't do headers for GM or did GM warranty any of the SLP stuff. If any of the SLP stuff went bad on a 4th gen, the dealer had to deal with SLP for the warranty. No OEM is going to be involved with long tube headers due to impossible to pass an emissions test with the cats that far from the engine.

Your easiest fix is a handheld tuner like an SCT or Diablosport Predator. Some of the vendors like Jannetty will often include a tune emailed to you with the purchase. You just tell them your mods and also say you want your rear O2 codes turned off. And if it's a stick shift, have the skip shift turned off.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
PIC

Drives: 2005 YJM6 GTO
SLP uses garbage cats, check your cats.
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Camaro Corvette tuner in Tampa

You know you dont need a "full tune" not get that code.

You can go to a tuner and just have the rear 02s not report an error, and keep everything else stock if that is your comfort level.

Granted you wont get the most out of your performance upgrades, but its just a click of the mouse to turn them off. I doubt anyone will bust your balls over it. They'd bust them more from the bolt ons compared to turning off the reporting of the rear 02s.
www.TampaTuning.com
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
izaks

Drives: Chev Lumina 416
When 420/430 is set, the car will run considerably richer
Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
hkemp

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS Camaro
Wow guys I have some real concerns. I just instralled my SLP system last week on my 2011 SS. I have also put on a cold air induction system on. I have not driven the car since it is pa and snow. I have started the car after the SLP long tube headers on and no light so far. I did not reinstal the black brace unde the car since the pipes are now to low even with the spacers SLP gives in the kit. Should I expect problems with these pipes??? Do I have to get it tuned and if so will this eliminate any potential problems. Thanks for help
hkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Amwellls1
Old School

Drives: 2002 WS6 440 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkemp View Post
Wow guys I have some real concerns. I just instralled my SLP system last week on my 2011 SS. I have also put on a cold air induction system on. I have not driven the car since it is pa and snow. I have started the car after the SLP long tube headers on and no light so far. I did not reinstal the black brace unde the car since the pipes are now to low even with the spacers SLP gives in the kit. Should I expect problems with these pipes??? Do I have to get it tuned and if so will this eliminate any potential problems. Thanks for help
Not that big of a deal, I would not worry about it. I have the same set up.
Amwellls1 is offline   Reply With Quote