Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Peppy2SS
I'm not a "bro"

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Led Zeppelin has died...

Below is an obituary that is in my local newspaper this morning. I went to school with this guys daughter. To my understanding, he wanted to do something wild and crazy after his divorce, so he legally changed his name to "Led Zeppelin II". She had told me before that he went to visit her in New Orleans, and they had dinner at a Mexican restaurant. The waitress noticed the new name on his credit card, and suddenly started to treat him like royalty. She thought he was THE Led Zeppelin, not realizing that Zeppelin was more than just one guy.

Led Zeppelin II, formally known as George F. Blackburn, climbed the "Stairway to Heaven" on May 18, 2012, at Alton Memorial Hospital.
He was born July 26, 1947, in Milwaukee, Wis., to Lorraine and Alfonzo Blackburn.
He grew up in downtown Chicago during the 60's. He worked for TWA for 32 years in Chicago and then St. Louis, retiring in 1997.
He is survived by his father Alfonzo; his bother, Joe Blackburn; his son, Joe Jr.; his sister, Sandy and Gary; his loving daughters, Melissa and Chuck Gray of Phoenix, Ariz., and Mindy and Bill Baker of Seattle, Wash.; his ex-wife and friend, Cheryl Blackburn of Bethalto; a special grandson, Josh and Melissa Blackburn; grandchildren, Brandon and Abigail of Phoenix, Ariz.; and dear to his heart were his two cats and his dog Lila-Mae.
Led's loves were rock 'n roll, hot rods and Amsterdam. However, his true love was for the band Led Zeppelin.
If you would like to share his memory with his family, there will be a "Celebration Day" at R.J.'s Bar and Grill in Hartford, at 6:00 pm on Friday, May 25,.
Donation in his name can be made to Formea Animal Hospital in Alton.

Read more: http://www.thetelegraph.com/articles...#ixzz1vhQM8wTO
Peppy2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
R.I.P.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
I went to high school with someone who should have changed his name to that as well. Lived and breathed that group.

RIP. Sorry to see such a fan of theirs pass.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I hope that nobody takes offence to this attempt to divert this thread off-topic but ...

How is it that Led Zepplin is considered to be heavy metal by a not-insignificant-portion of the music community? For the most part, their songs don't sound particularly heavy or metal ... unlike, say what Sabbath or Motorhead were doing at the time? Don't get me wrong, I like them & respect their artistry and contributions to rock & music as a whole. But I keep hearing them classed as 'metal' and I'm just simply confused. I listen to Sabbath, Metallica, and Disturbed -all clearly metal (from different eras), then I hear Zepplin & I'm like ... hmm not so much, ya know?

Anyone have any insights?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
Macvicar24

Drives: 2016 Camaro White 1SS, NPP, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I hope that nobody takes offence to this attempt to divert this thread off-topic but ...

How is it that Led Zepplin is considered to be heavy metal by a not-insignificant-portion of the music community? For the most part, their songs don't sound particularly heavy or metal ... unlike, say what Sabbath or Motorhead were doing at the time? Don't get me wrong, I like them & respect their artistry and contributions to rock & music as a whole. But I keep hearing them classed as 'metal' and I'm just simply confused. I listen to Sabbath, Metallica, and Disturbed -all clearly metal (from different eras), then I hear Zepplin & I'm like ... hmm not so much, ya know?

Anyone have any insights?
I noticed iTunes has a metal genre that pretty much includes any type of rock music. Not sure why it's like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Macvicar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
To further confuse matters ... AC/DC was more or less (in their prime) along side Zepplin, and despite being more similar to metal in several aspects, nobody really consided them to be metal -yet Led Zepplin was. They were just 'hard rock'

Argh ... sometimes I put too much thought into musicology
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
RIP to a fan. Astute observations about the genre. Music categories tend to really confuse & frustrate some folks. No one knows just where to place Progressive rock either. They keep trying to fit them into other genres & they just don't really fit. I guess that is one reason much of that music gets little play on the radio; at least around here. That is frustrating..........Uh, Music City? Several groups even record here but you will never hear them on the radio. Go figure?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
RIP Led Zeppelin II.

I never considered Led Zep Metal, just rock. What ever you want to call them, they made some amazing music. Four men who were a perfect fit for each other and complimented each other. Led Zeppelin would never have been the same after John Bonham died, and the remaining three knew enough to call it a day.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
IMO. I think it's because of the tree trunks Bonham used for sticks (cause he was an excellent drummer) and the licks Page could do on the guitar. I compare them more to Pink Floyd than anything.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
drummer5679

Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35
led zeppelin is more rap/rock, like linkin park
drummer5679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
R.I.P.

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote