Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #57
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Congrats on the new car. I can't hardly believe the responses from people on here. Driving with high performance tires in cold weather is not like black ice. People get in trouble when they drive too aggressive, not just drive.
Redlineviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #58
Gimpie95

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineviper View Post
Congrats on the new car. I can't hardly believe the responses from people on here. Driving with high performance tires in cold weather is not like black ice. People get in trouble when they drive too aggressive, not just drive.
I wouldn't say it's as easy as just not driving aggressively. When I was younger and less concerned with my property (and life), I drove on a set of summers for a few winters. I had to be VERY careful with the car, because it would get squirrelly since the tires were hard as a rock. The problem comes in the things you CAN'T control. Like the truck that doesn't see you or the deer that jumps out into the road, and you have to suddenly swerve or brake. In these situations you want a tire that is actually built for the conditions you are operating in. So can you drive year after year in winter on a summer tire with no issues? Sure. It's one of those things that is fine until it isn't. Personally, I almost learned the hard way that a summer tire doesn't perform as well as an all-season or winter tire, and for me I want to be sure the tires I have are going to give me the best shot at correcting.

At the end of the day, and after thread after thread on this issue, people are split 50/50 on this topic. The dudes that are convinced that a summer tire is good enough at 15 degrees will remain convinced of this fact. The people that don't trust their tires below the manufacturer's recommended specs, will spend the cash on a different tire for the cold weather months.

Just my .02 cents on the subject. But what do I know, I work for the government!
Gimpie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #59
Gimpie95

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS
Forgot to mention OP....the car looks AMAZING! You should be proud!
Gimpie95 is offline   Reply With Quote