Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
psm3234

Drives: 2016 2SS hyper blue metallic
getting tune for your SS

ok, I get it. mod your vehicle and then get a tune to get the most out of the mods. if you DO NOT do any mods, does a tune help the performance of you car in any way????
psm3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Yes it does, but you would be lucky to get more than 15 or 20 whp from it without mods. Then when you do your mods you'll need to re-tune it.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
psm3234

Drives: 2016 2SS hyper blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Yes it does, but you would be lucky to get more than 15 or 20 whp from it without mods. Then when you do your mods you'll need to re-tune it.
I am not going to mods. do you suggest a tune or should I just buy crown royal with that money????
psm3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by psm3234 View Post
I am not going to mods. do you suggest a tune or should I just buy crown royal with that money????
Unless you want to void your drivetrain warranty, don't tune it. I think most would agree!
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
1KillerSS

Quote:
Honestly, I would do it if your not going to do any mods, but thats just me. Tuning was the first thing I did with my car. However I had the tools and resources to work on the car myself at the time, so I could play with it and learn.

Curious as to why you dont want to mod your SS, is there any specific reason for that?

Keep in mind that that HP estimate is on the high side.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 03-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
ok, I get it. mod your vehicle and then get a tune to get the most out of the mods. if you DO NOT do any mods, does a tune help the performance of you car in any way????
From what I gather if you have an auto then the change is pretty dramatic. If you have a manual there will be less of a noticeable difference.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
1KillerSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
Unless you want to void your drivetrain warranty, don't tune it. I think most would agree!
Thats not necessarily true, many people have had plenty of warranty work done to their cars and have been tuned. Search the forums a little.

You will most certainly void your warranty, yet if the failure was not related or caused by your aftermarket modification then your good....granted your with a decent car dealership.

Build thread
Old 03-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Buy some Crown Royal. The tune is going to need to be updated if you change your mind later, meaning you'll have to spend extra for marginal benefit.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #9
mbowen89

Quote:
Thats not necessarily true, many people have had plenty of warranty work done to their cars and have been tuned. Search the forums a little.

You will most certainly void your warranty, yet if the failure was not related or caused by your aftermarket modification then your good....granted your with a decent car dealership.
I know to a degree what you said, and I know this is discussed every day over and over but my understanding is if his engine blew for some random reason even without mods, when GM sees the tune he doesn't get a new engine. I know that the tune has nothing to do with bad radio or exhaust, but I'm more worried about engine going out as high dollar repair. That's why I thinking it would be the biggest risk to tune for no mods, for relatively small gain. Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but I still think the issue of warranty work is something be should definitely keep in mind if tuning even with no mods.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
I know to a degree what you said, and I know this is discussed every day over and over but my understanding is if his engine blew for some random reason even without mods, when GM sees the tune he doesn't get a new engine. I know that the tune has nothing to do with bad radio or exhaust, but I'm more worried about engine going out as high dollar repair. That's why I thinking it would be the biggest risk to tune for no mods, for relatively small gain. Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but I still think the issue of warranty work is something be should definitely keep in mind if tuning even with no mods.
This is hotly debated, but the facts are that a computer controls engine operation. If that tune causes a malfunction or reduces the durability of that engine, failures in that engine that result are not the manufacturer's problem.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #11
1KillerSS

Quote:

The risk of tuning for mods, VS no mods is minimal, basic bolt-ons are really no big deal, your tune will be changing basically the same parameters that it would change if you had the mods, just not to the same degree.

The dealer isnt going to care if you modded your car with a tune only compared to mods and a tune. To them its all the same....basically.

Build thread
Old 03-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #12
mbowen89

Quote:
The risk of tuning for mods, VS no mods is minimal, basic bolt-ons are really no big deal, your tune will be changing basically the same parameters that it would change if you had the mods, just not to the same degree.

The dealer isnt going to care if you modded your car with a tune only compared to mods and a tune. To them its all the same....basically.
I know, but how do you know you didn't get a dud engine that is gonna blow at 5k miles, and you got a tune (for no mods even!), and GM says sorry!?

I mean, I guess I'm playing worst case scenario and the dealer won't even realize you tuned it, I'm just going worst case that engine needs replaced, etc, the big stuff.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
stirrup shifter

Drives: camaro
Get a quality tune. You're far away but reach out to Tampa Tuning - Phil can help. The tune he put on my SS just woke it up. The street tune on the motor and A6 tranny makes it way more fun to drive and we killed the AFM......sounded great before I did any mods. These cars are way more fun and powerful than the factory sends out.....
stirrup shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #14
1KillerSS

Quote:
I know, but how do you know you didn't get a dud engine that is gonna blow at 5k miles, and you got a tune (for no mods even!), and GM says sorry!?

I mean, I guess I'm playing worst case scenario and the dealer won't even realize you tuned it, I'm just going worst case that engine needs replaced, etc, the big stuff.
If your thinking is that as long as your mods, or lack of, are minimal, GM wont notice or mind, then you're wrong. GM will notice you tuned it. As soon as they plug in their scanner they can tell that its been modified, it won't matter to what degree its been changed, its still altered.

Build thread