Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Question for those that had 5th Bow Problem;

For anyone that's had the 5th bow repair, what was your repair (bow replacement, frame replacement, ignored by service manager...)? If items were replaced, are they using an improved design/material? I did a search for "5th bow", but the results were overwhelming and not very specific. I know in the past, folks had bought new cars off the lot, not aware the bow was broken at the time!

Mine broke last Friday. I've had the fabric replaced 18 months ago, and had the top TSB's performed this year. Never had another problem 'til now. It's in the shop today, and the guys have been great. One of the techs said they've repaired a few before. it's an all-day event, so they gave me a rental for the day without having to ask.

My concern is whether the repair is an adequate fix, or just a replacement with the same type of part. Can I expect this to snap again in 10K miles when my top warranty has expired? Or do I pursue the full frame and water management bag replacement in anticipation of later problems? Like I said, I've been very pleased with the performance of my top so far, but I don't want to agonize over a ticking time bomb.

I'll be talking to them again when I pick up the car. Just curious of the succes rate of the repairs, and where it goes from here.

Thanks

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
I had my 5th bow repaired early spring 2012.same type of parts although the tech that worked on it said that it is one of the worst designs he has ever seen.I will add that after the 5th bow repair, the seal at the trunk is much less visible than how it was when it came off the line.The new 5th bow seems to be holding up.
My 5th bow went with approx.2600 miles on the car and I now have about 7000 miles on it.I had the flood in the back seat approx. 2 months after the 5th bow repair and the new and improved water management bag has been installed as the replacement.
I do have a bent frame piece which will be replaced in the spring (after winter storage)as well as new canvas.I am currently pushing GM Canada to issue extended warranty for my top to no avail yet.I too have concerns that problems could creep back in after the warranty period,but in the meantime the 5th bow seems to be holding together so far.As long as there is warranty I am not too concerned.I will state that if gm canada does not issue extended warranty for the top,not only will they have lost a customer for life,but my concerns will increase and will have to decide what to do at that time.I am hoping GM Canada does the right thing and extends the warranty period.

IMO,what GM should have done with all the problem tops,instead of trying to repair them, they should have unbolted the original tops and replaced with brand new ones as a complete unit.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
IL-Tracker
That's why.........

Drives: Traded a 2011 2SS/RS A6 Blk Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
Mine broke last Friday
Sorry about that. I now believe ours was purchased with a broken 5th bow, but being our first convertible, we had no clue - until we joined this forum and became educated. Anyway, it was a 2011 SS/RS purchased on 6/11/11 and bow replaced April 2012. The repair was a major improvement, although I was leery as to whether it would last. Long story short, we traded for a Subaru Forester (wife's preference) in November. Truth be told, I was too obsessed with that car - although I miss it, my obsession now has turned back to fishing.

Bodih, good luck with your repair -

Mike
IL-Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Gio Bella

Drives: Camaro 2SS Convertible,blk,blk int
Hi Bodih,

Sorry to hear about the 5th bow breaking, I am still amazed at your tonneau clip design that you sent me last year.
I know how much you love your car and it is one of the most beautiful orange beauty I have ever seen.
You might ask your dealer to see if you can extend the warranty
as other members here on the forum have done.
Good luck,

Gio
Gio Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
My bow broke and was replaced in early December. They only replaced the bow and nothing else. I still have my original canvas and water management bag. The repair looks good but I have not lowered the top and it has not seen any wet weather since the repair. I washed it and it went right into winter storage. I won't know till spring if it leaks or has any other issue. Mine had around 19,000 on it before it broke and I had the TSB done before it broke.

I asked my service manager to check into a warranty extension and he called me the next day and I got 4 years additional from the date of the repair. I got a letter from GM a week or so later stating I was covered till Dec 2016 or 82,000 miles whichever comes first. Based on my current annual mileage the date will pass before the miles. I am satisfied with that extension.
zandron263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Thanks folks. I appreciate the info.

I dropped off the car at 7AM yesterday, and it was ready by 4:30. Everything looked great after the repair. The service manager said the new bow is beefed up compared to the original. He also said there's a service bulletin to inspect the water management bag whenever the top well is accessed. I still have the old style bag installed, but he said it had no damage, and good clearance for the retracted top. I didn't ask about the extended warranty (I saw your post too late), but he can't clear the service order until today because of the rental car, so I'll ask him to check into it for me.

Thanks Gio. Glad you're still happy with the tonneau cover clips. I made 3 more sets for folks here last year. I made these a little thinner, and the hole larger so the top hat bushing doesn't have to be reversed. I still have the prototypes on mine. I've had several runs over 110 MPH and the top doesn't even flutter.

Still lovin' the car!!!

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Bodih, glad to hear things went well.Just keep an eye on the backseat floor area.If wet, it will be water management bag and /or drain tubes.FYI, the new water management bag is redesigned from the original to allow better water drainage.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

I dropped off the car at 7AM yesterday, and it was ready by 4:30. Everything looked great after the repair. The service manager said the new bow is beefed up compared to the original. He also said there's a service bulletin to inspect the water management bag whenever the top well is accessed. I still have the old style bag installed, but he said it had no damage, and good clearance for the retracted top. I didn't ask about the extended warranty (I saw your post too late), but he can't clear the service order until today because of the rental car, so I'll ask him to check into it for me.

Thanks Gio. Glad you're still happy with the tonneau cover clips. I made 3 more sets for folks here last year. I made these a little thinner, and the hole larger so the top hat bushing doesn't have to be reversed. I still have the prototypes on mine. I've had several runs over 110 MPH and the top doesn't even flutter.

Still lovin' the car!!!
Great to hear that everything checked out fine after the repair. Please let us know if you have any questions!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
Quote:

Still lovin' the car!!!
I believe it is the smaller (older) water management bag that typically causes the bow #5 failuer. I'd talk to your dealer about replacing it anyways.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Here is an idea Brandon that you can bring to the powers that be, get every single one of us that has a convertible an extended warranty on the top. Since half of the country has these cars stored 6 months out of the year, we may have problems arise with minimal mileage on them but out of warranty. Maybe Scott will finally chime in on all these issues. Frankly I am afraid what will happen to mine once it gets out of storage.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

BRANDON, ARE YOU LISTENING....

FORWARD 95BIRDIBLE'S COMMENTS TO THE POWERS TO BE.
I have requested an extended warranty on my top from GM Canada(time wise and not mileage increase) and they said no go yet...I think they are still trying to have one approved but so far to no avail.
My vert will be going in for its 3rd repair in the spring after winter storage(different problems but all roof related),it has only about 7000 miles on it.

Extended warranty would be the right thing to do on GM's part.

IMO,if the warranties were extended,you would have a much happier crowd,and maybe GM will be able to keep a few customers for the next purchase
Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
If I had an extended warranty on the top for lets say 6 years and 75K it might persuade me not to trade it in on the new SRT Cuda that is coming out next year. All the problems with the 5th gens will never make me buy a 6th gen. Are you listening GM. I will go to the competition before buying another Chevrolet. My first 2012 was a lemon that was repurchased, my second? Who knows what the future has in store for me. I shouldn't have to worry about it. Maybe 10 years from now but not in the first year of ownership.
I also see the sales of convertibles dropped over 4,000 from 2011 to 2012. Wonder why? Could it have been all the problems that were reported? 4,000 cars at 40 grand a pop is 160 million in sales that GM lost.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

I wonder how many mustang convertibles were sold 2011 vs. 2012. if the #'s are up that is where the convertibles buyers went to, but still a fact that GM lost 160 million in sales just in the convertibles alone.
I know of other people that have purchased from other manufacturers for their vehicle needs after they have experienced problems,
so the $$$ that GM has lost in sales is much larger than 160 million,just not as measurable.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Birdible,
re:new Cuda
do you know if the new cuda is on the auto show circuit yet?
I am planning on going to the autoshow in Toronto next month..hopefully its there so I can check it out.