Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #127
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
The V6s leak oil from the oil filler spout, had mine replaced twice under warranty and there's a TSB on it. I could see enough oil seeping onto the exhaust manifold and igniting on a hot day, those manifolds get HOT. All you'd need is an owner who doesn't check under the hood enough.
..interesting, and is the gasket on the oil lid(or cap itself) to blame?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #128
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
The V6s leak oil from the oil filler spout, had mine replaced twice under warranty and there's a TSB on it. I could see enough oil seeping onto the exhaust manifold and igniting on a hot day, those manifolds get HOT. All you'd need is an owner who doesn't check under the hood enough.
I would think it would just smoke, not spontaneously combust....if that was happening, you wouldn't need to check under the hood to know there was a leak (you would smell it and see the smoke).
Old 06-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #129
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
..interesting, and is the gasket on the oil lid(or cap itself) to blame?
Yeah I think the gasket on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
I would think it would just smoke, not spontaneously combust....if that was happening, you wouldn't need to check under the hood to know there was a leak (you would smell it and see the smoke).
Idk I checked that car constantly. I went to install the electric portion of my cut outs and after jacking the car up noticed oil allllll over the bottom of the car. It was literally dripping in some spots. Damn I should have taken pictures...

It looked like someone has spilled half a quart trying to pour it in. They tried to say thats what I did but I had changed the oil 1,000 miles earlier.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #130
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
So should I be more worried or less worried, considering there is pretty much nothing stock on my car

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #131
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
So should I be more worried or less worried, considering there is pretty much nothing stock on my car
Yes....
Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #132
Dexter42

Drives: 2013 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Edit: I also want to say that people shouldn't be panicking about their camaros. My car was very far from stock, and we don't know if any mods were done to the other cars, my point being - we don't know what happened. It could just be a coincidence, or a freak accident for all we know.
Stig - First, my heartfelt condolences on Kaylee. I've not modded a car to the extent you had, but I did have a ZRX1200 that had many, many things done to it. It is indeed your soulmate.

As far as whether or not we should worry about our cars, the prudent thing is to regularly inspect engine harnesses, hoses, etc - stock or modded.

Looking at my car, I noticed that the fat battery cable winds tightly around the left shock tower, and a sheet metal seam on the shock tower had formed an indentation in the cable. I put a short length of split wire loom over the cable to add protection. I'll add stand-offs and screw-mount cable guides if/when I see any hinky harness routings. Sort of a race track approach. And yes, I bought a fire extinguisher . . .
Dexter42 is offline   Reply With Quote