Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #141
SSooner

Drives: '12 F250 Powerstroke
This is still the greatest DIY I have ever seen... for any mod. If I ever get the balls to attempt a cam swap, I will no doubt come straight to this thread... Oh, and OP, did you get rid of your SS?
'05 Z51 C6 - Sold
'06 GTO - Traded
SSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #142
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlingSS View Post
Always use a new crank bolt. I bought a longer one for getting the pulley off.

Great write up. Here is a pdf copy.

http://www.bowlingss.com/DownLoads/L...%20Install.pdf

Bill
Bill, thanks for producing the PDF copy!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiel View Post
Great

In picture 9 u see 2 clips from the transmission cooling lines. U texted "dont loose them"
In my ss-truck after removing the lines i put the clips directly back. when it comes to reassembling u can click the lines in the radiator without removing the clips.
Great tip, didn't realize you could just put them back in like that. I thought about putting them back on but didn't want to deal with trying to get them off again as one of them shot across the garage floor when I first took them off and I spent 15-20 minutes looking for the dam thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSooner View Post
This is still the greatest DIY I have ever seen... for any mod. If I ever get the balls to attempt a cam swap, I will no doubt come straight to this thread... Oh, and OP, did you get rid of your SS?
Thanks for the compliment SSooner. Unfortunately I did sell the car back in May to a member of the Camaro5 community who is putting it to good use. Just the right car at the wrong time, wife couldn't/wouldn't drive stick, four kids and a 2x2 coupe didn't work, and the cam was a little too much for me to deal with in all the bumper to bumper traffic I find myself in from time to time traveling into the DC area for work.

Luckily I held onto my beater (13yr old 99 Dodge Intrepid 173k miles) and drove it until just a few weeks ago when I gave in to the temptation for power and picked up a 2012 Challenger SRT8 Automatic. I won't be modding it for another year or so until I have it totally paid for but I am friggin itching big time to put a Nitrous Outlet Plate Kit on it with a 100-150 wet shot with a dedicated fuel system spraying some C16. For the time being, stock is fine as the car is a beast. When the time comes, I hope to do a similar write-up on the Nitrous install I do from the system design, to the install, to the tuning, unfortunately it will be over in the MOPAR forums...

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #143
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
okay listening to this video makes me sick. See I called my father up to follow me to the dealer to drive my old car back as Im driving my new 1ss home. When we got to the dealer and he leaned about the v6 and how much power it had he talked me into it. Told me it's cheaper, better on gas etc, and has a lot of hp. After seeing this video it makes me regret my stupid ass decision! Now I would take a huge hit to get the V8 when I should have got it from the get go and it only cost 1500 more than what I paid! Grrr....now I'm afraid because of new federal regulations I won't get that V8 of my dreams especially when I'm military, have wife and a kid and am trying to buy a house.
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #144
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroc5 View Post
okay listening to this video makes me sick. See I called my father up to follow me to the dealer to drive my old car back as Im driving my new 1ss home. When we got to the dealer and he leaned about the v6 and how much power it had he talked me into it. Told me it's cheaper, better on gas etc, and has a lot of hp. After seeing this video it makes me regret my stupid ass decision! Now I would take a huge hit to get the V8 when I should have got it from the get go and it only cost 1500 more than what I paid! Grrr....now I'm afraid because of new federal regulations I won't get that V8 of my dreams especially when I'm military, have wife and a kid and am trying to buy a house.
First and foremost, thank you for your service, not only you but your wife and family as well as it is not only your willingness to scarifice for the rest of us but theirs as well in their support of a man that has taken it upon himself to ensure Freedom is passed on to the next generation.

My family and I truly thanks you!!!!

One quick question before I respond to your post.... how old are you, I have an assumption, but would still like to know...

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #145
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Ho-Lee Shyt.

You deserve to be paid for that DIY.

Nice work.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #146
Mud
In Mud We Trust

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Don't know how I missed this but that was the most comprehensive do-it-yourself I've read here and anywhere else.

Outstanding photos, videos and instructions. This is simply superb. Thanks for posting this as I have an itch to install a cam.

This brings me back to the days when I had a Chevelle with a burned out clutch plate and the only way a 17 year old kid earning minimum wage at a part time job could afford to replace it was to do it himself.

So with very basic tools, a Chilton's manual, a jack, a remanufactured clutch plate, and my reading skills, off I went into uncharted territory never knowing if it would ever run again.

Well, I replaced that clutch and after a few adjustments it actually ran. Wish I had a tutorial like this back in the 70's. It would have made it so much easier.

That cam sounds incredible, the exact sound I'm looking for.

Good luck with your new MOPAR. Again, thanks for the time and patience it took to put this together so that others may benefit.
-American Racing Torq Thrust/Anthracite
-CAI Intake
Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:51 AM   #147
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
I've been working on a cam swap and this DIY has been awesome in helping me. I have never changed out valve springs before, but I bought the Crane tool and it made it a piece of cake. I know it's expensive, but money well spent in my opinion.

2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #148
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Amazing write up and very thorough, thanks
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #149
Black1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS 6 Speed
subscribed
Black1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #150
MValdez17

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaman96 View Post
I've been working on a cam swap and this DIY has been awesome in helping me. I have never changed out valve springs before, but I bought the Crane tool and it made it a piece of cake. I know it's expensive, but money well spent in my opinion.

That tool was well worth it. I had to wait a while because they were back ordered but so worth it!
2010 2SS/RS Black & IOM Mods Here
MValdez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #151
MValdez17

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
Sorry, been away from the forum for a while, I don't recall the specs for the alternator and would have to go back and track it down. My guess is by now you don't need the answer

My pleasure, glad to see folks are getting good use of the write-up...
I just tightened them up to where they felt right, 7 months later no problems.

I'm about to do it all over again I should have put a blower cam in it from the beginning. LOL
2010 2SS/RS Black & IOM Mods Here
MValdez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #152
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
I just finished doing my cam and springs swap tonight - thanks largely to this DIY! Thanks so much for creating this incredible DIY guide!

Sam
Ace1USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #153
RED 2012

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS, 2012 2SS/RS
Robertway,

Great write up, it makes the ls3 cam swap look like a breeze.

I wanted to know which type/brand of torque wrenches are you using?
I am looking for one but with so many out there I want to get a good quality one that doesn't break the bank either. Thanks
RED 2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #154
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED 2012 View Post
Robertway,

Great write up, it makes the ls3 cam swap look like a breeze.

I wanted to know which type/brand of torque wrenches are you using?
I am looking for one but with so many out there I want to get a good quality one that doesn't break the bank either. Thanks
I know you asked Robert, but I wanted to let you know that all my torque wrenches are the SnapOn electronic wrenches that are very accurate, will vibrate when you hit your target torque, and will even tell you how much torque you actually put in, so you can know if you went a bit too far.

Don't skimp when it comes to torque wrenches!! Here's a tip, check out your local pawn shops and also eBay for SnapOn torque wrenches. I've bought all of mine at either a couple pawn shops or online on eBay. I usually wind up spending a little more than half of what they cost new, and they still are backed by SnapOn.

Sam