Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
How does I do teh car loan?

If you didn't understand my caturday engrish already, I ask of those elder Camaro5'ers to riddle me this;

How exactly did you go about getting your loan for a 5th gen, and also from experience what would you say would be the best way for a 22 year old College grad like myself to get a loan. Cosigning isn't a problem for me, if the need arose due to my parents fully supporting me on this. I want to get a second opinion on this outside of them and the family and I thought that since we have a bunch of members that are also car dealers/salemen, I could get help here.

TLDR: I need a second opinion about the general process of getting a car loan and which is the best way to do it.

Sooo:

Budget for payments would be something I'd like to keep in the mid 300s and I don't mind keeping the loan going past 60 months. This Camaro is staying me for the forseeable future be it hell or high water.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Drives: 2013 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
Hay - I traveled to Kalamazoo for business last week for the first time! (Pfizer plant) What a mamoth airport you have.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

You think that one's big, you should see the one I'm sitting at right now. Battle Creek International Airport. Home of the #2 Duncan FBO, The Battle Creek ANG, and Western Michigan's College of Aviation.

IIRC there's a 10,000 foot runway for the A-10 ANG base. If only I could get my guard and tower buddies to allow me to make a run with the Camaro down the strip..
Old 02-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Drives: 2013 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
You think that one's big, you should see the one I'm sitting at right now. Battle Creek International Airport. Home of the #2 Duncan FBO, The Battle Creek ANG, and Western Michigan's College of Aviation.

IIRC there's a 10,000 foot runway for the A-10 ANG base. If only I could get my guard and tower buddies to allow me to make a run with the Camaro down the strip..
Who do I need to write a letter to in order to help you get the opportunity?!!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
what Camaro are you looking at? Do you have a down payment? What is your credit history? There are lots of loan calculators out there that will help you determine your loan payment with different rates. I'm about the same as you (22, college grad) and am fully expecting to need my father to cosign with me. I'm also getting a 2SS, so my payments are going to be around $500/mo or so.

Also, I herd u liked mudkipz?
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

I doubt they'd let me do it in all reality, but if the Battle Creek Air Show comes around, and I put a proposal forward for fun..who knows. Western does hold quite a bit of clout here being 1/3 of the whole airport. Duncan being another 1/3 and the ANG holding the rest.

As for my Camaro: 1SS M6 with Neutral Cloth. Nothing fancy. Downpayment's expected to be in the 2K range. Could be more if I wind up getting cash for a graduation present. I have no clue as to my credit history so I don't think I'm going to go without a Cosigner on this one (as already stated cosigning can be arranged). I have looked at a bunch of loan calculators and have gotten payments down to 350/mo but I need to fine tune what rate I can be expecting from a bank/dealership.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
If you didn't understand my caturday engrish already, I ask of those elder Camaro5'ers to riddle me this;

How exactly did you go about getting your loan for a 5th gen, and also from experience what would you say would be the best way for a 22 year old College grad like myself to get a loan. Cosigning isn't a problem for me, if the need arose due to my parents fully supporting me on this. I want to get a second opinion on this outside of them and the family and I thought that since we have a bunch of members that are also car dealers/salemen, I could get help here.

TLDR: I need a second opinion about the general process of getting a car loan and which is the best way to do it.

Sooo:

Budget for payments would be something I'd like to keep in the mid 300s and I don't mind keeping the loan going past 60 months. This Camaro is staying me for the forseeable future be it hell or high water.
You're talking about getting a loan from a bank right? Just go around to your local banks and ask for the paperwork to get prequalified for a new car loan. Please note however that in most cases it takes 2-4 weeks to be approved and it's good just for 90 days. Most banks won't give you the money for a new car loan until the car actually arrives and the dealer gives the bank the information.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Quote:
As for my Camaro: 1SS M6 with Neutral Cloth. Nothing fancy. Downpayment's expected to be in the 2K range. Could be more if I wind up getting cash for a graduation present. I have no clue as to my credit history so I don't think I'm going to go without a Cosigner on this one (as already stated cosigning can be arranged). I have looked at a bunch of loan calculators and have gotten payments down to 350/mo but I need to fine tune what rate I can be expecting from a bank/dealership.
How are you getting it down to $350 range with just $2,000 down on a 1SS? The average APR right now is around 5-6%. On a 72 month loan (the longest that I've seen any bank offer) with 5% APR and $2k down is $500 a month. To get a 72 month loan down to below $350 a month it takes $10,000 for a down payment. On a 60 month loan it'll take at least $15,000 down payment. Even with 0% apr (which you will not get) a 72 month loan and $2k down is still roughly $450 a month.

I'm getting a 2SS and with $15k down, 5.75% apr on a 60 month loan my payments are going to be $370 a month.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Ah, redid it and found my mistake. Depending on who's credit they'd use to set the rate this could get interesting. Cosigning would probably not make any diff, correct? They'd still probably give me 10-15% APR just because I'm a recent grad.

Incidentally, I also plan to use the GM College Discount, so if I did do it through GMAC, could that help? Anyone else use the GMCD or GMAC?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Ah, redid it and found my mistake. Depending on who's credit they'd use to set the rate this could get interesting. Cosigning would probably not make any diff, correct? They'd still probably give me 10-15% APR just because I'm a recent grad.

Incidentally, I also plan to use the GM College Discount, so if I did do it through GMAC, could that help? Anyone else use the GMCD or GMAC?
the gm college discount doesnt really make a difference to GMAC.

cosigning allows people with bad/no credit to upgrade thier credit by leeching score from the cosigner. so who ever has the high score will be the person its based on.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Quote:

The college discount will only reduce the monthly payment by $15-$20. Most likely you'll find a better rate from a bank then from GMAC. If you get 10% apr you can forget about getting anywhere near your limit of mid $300's. Even with the college discount you'll still need atleast $10k down if you want the payments to be within that range.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

So more realistically I'm looking at $500/mo if I had my dad cosign on the loan for me (which he said he'd do since I do not have and refuse to get a credit card). What I'm tracking here is this, then:

$30,995.00 + ~$850.00 Dest + 1,938.00 tax + ~$100.00 Tax/Title = ~$33,883.00

10K Down = $23,883.00 Loan.

$500/mo x 72mo = $36,000 repaid in full by 6 years including interest.

This..is gonna be fun. :S
Old 02-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
if you refuse to get a credit card, you will never have a good credit score and can kiss any good rates on a mortgage on a house down the road goodbye
Old 02-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
if you refuse to get a credit card, you will never have a good credit score and can kiss any good rates on a mortgage on a house down the road goodbye
Great.. now I'm gonna have to deal with Visa with my Nat'l City Card (technically not a Credit Card) AND another Credit company. Not cool and something I wanted to avoid.

Tags
camaro, car loan process, college student, graduate discount, new car