Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Untouchable Keeve

Drives: 2011 1LT
Rotofab and Mace Ported IM w/Black Ice-olator Review

I finally had a chance to install my ported IM that I received from Mace, along with the Rx Black Iceolator last weekend. The only other mod I had at the time was a cai from Roto Fab. The reviews are below:

Roto-Fab Intake:

I installed this in July, and it didn't seem to make much if any difference in perfomance, but the sound change was awesome. As the weather started changing to cooler temps, like 60s-70s, I finally started to notice a pickup in performance. Overall it seems to make the car accelerate like it's a little lighter when not under WOT, and it improved throttle response some as well. If you put your hand on the filter after driving, or allowing the engine to heat soak, the filter portion that's sealed off from the hood still remained cool as well.

Mace Ported IM & Black Ice combo:

After the install, which took me about an hour and a half with air tools, I took about a 50 mile spin, trying to avoid going WOT. There was a little difference in how the car took off and accelerated, but nothing drastic... at first.

As the days after the install went on, the car seemed to pull noticeably harder at times, but then not at others, until about this past Wendnesday (after around 200 miles post install). It's almost like driving a whole new car now, and the gains are consistent.

There is power now in all parts of the powerband, where there were lags in acceleration and the dead spot have been replaced with torque (I don't have a ported throttle body either). The throttle response is extremly quick now, acceleration when not under WOT is like night and day, and the car seems to pull to higher speeds under WOT than it did before. The car feels lighter, is wheelspin happy and is even more fun to drive than before. Def the best bang for your buck mod that you could possibly do.
Untouchable Keeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Nice I plan on getting my IM ported this winter.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
nice review, can't wait to get mine here soon!
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
LVDran

Drives: 2010 V6
Nice!!! I think my next mods are ported IM and TB. Not sure on the order though hehe.

Are you auto or manual transmission?
Vararam | Ceramic BBK LT Headers w/ HFC | Custom MagnaFlow Exhaust | RX Catchcan | Vmax 3/8" Black Ice-O-lator | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Trifecta Tuned | Stop Tech Slotted Rotors | White out Bowties | Black out side grills | Custom Badges | 22" American Racing Daytona | Polk Audio 6" & 6x9" | Kicker 10" with custom box | Alpline 400w 4 Channel | Alpine 500w Mono Channel
LVDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I just installed my ported intake manifold yesterday after "prettying" it up a bit. Not much chance to drive with it installed yet though....here is a shot:

Old 09-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I just installed my ported intake manifold yesterday after "prettying" it up a bit. Not much chance to drive with it installed yet though....here is a shot:
Ya beat me! lol. Looking good! Should have mine back from the painter in a day or two and installed pronto.

And that's it for the simple bolt-ons for now. lol

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
Ya beat me! lol. Looking good! Should have mine back from the painter in a day or two and installed pronto.

And that's it for the simple bolt-ons for now. lol
Yeah...I may be done with bolt ons for awhile too. I haven't done headers or high flow cats yet so I could do that still, but not sure when or if I'll get around to doing that.

I've done everything else I believe as far as normal bolt ons.

Looking forward to seeing your finished product!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
Untouchable Keeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDran View Post
Nice!!! I think my next mods are ported IM and TB. Not sure on the order though hehe.

Are you auto or manual transmission?
I'm an auto. With the amount of torque and throttle response I'm seeing with the mod, so far, I don't think I'm going to get the TB at all. Time will tell. There is a full bodied amount of power through the entire RPM range.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Untouchable Keeve

Quote:
Yeah...I may be done with bolt ons for awhile too. I haven't done headers or high flow cats yet so I could do that still, but not sure when or if I'll get around to doing that.

I've done everything else I believe as far as normal bolt ons.

Looking forward to seeing your finished product!
That's lookin pretty nice Prenger, did you polish and shine that front portion of the IM yourself? Yeah I want to add shorty headers and then top that off with a tune, but I can wait, since I added the more significant power adders for now. I'm pretty pleased at the moment.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable Keeve View Post
There is power now in all parts of the powerband, where there were lags in acceleration and the dead spot have been replaced with torque (I don't have a ported throttle body either). The throttle response is extremly quick now, acceleration when not under WOT is like night and day, and the car seems to pull to higher speeds under WOT than it did before. The car feels lighter, is wheelspin happy and is even more fun to drive than before. Def the best bang for your buck mod that you could possibly do.
Well said, well spoken .

And well done Mr. Prenger!! Handsome IM you've got there .
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable Keeve View Post
That's lookin pretty nice Prenger, did you polish and shine that front portion of the IM yourself? Yeah I want to add shorty headers and then top that off with a tune, but I can wait, since I added the more significant power adders for now. I'm pretty pleased at the moment.
Yep..did it myself. But thats not really bragging either lol. I think it looks decent enough, but definitely not at a professional kind of level or anything like that! I just wanted something to spice up the engine bay and I think this helps do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Well said, well spoken .

And well done Mr. Prenger!! Handsome IM you've got there .
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
Untouchable Keeve

Quote:
Yep..did it myself. But thats not really bragging either lol. I think it looks decent enough, but definitely not at a professional kind of level or anything like that! I just wanted something to spice up the engine bay and I think this helps do that.

Thanks!
Hey KMPrenger, have you had a chance to drive and "break in" the manifold in addition to having black ice? What do you think so far?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #13
JohnZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT V6
did you install the 3/8 version or the 1 inch?

BMR Bushing Inserts,Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pfadt Sway Bars and Endlinks, LSR Front Subframe Brace

SS Brembo Brakes, Racing Brake Stainless Lines
JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Thanks for the review. I can't wait to get mine installed. Sounds like I won't get full benefit of it before the club drag race event which is the next weekend after I install it though if it takes a while for the car to "learn" it. I am excited to feel the difference anyway.