Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-05-2015, 02:21 AM   #1
TheArchitect52

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Modifying 2014 Camaro 1SS (Semi-Auto)

Hello, Everyone My name is Erik I recently purchased a 2014 Camaro 1SS and have fell in love with my car, but recently i feel like I've been missing something i want to add more HP to my car to make it really fly. I currently live in the Bay Area and I'm looking to see if they're any trust worthy shops that could guide me through this process please keep in mind I'm new to all this.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheArchitect52; 01-05-2015 at 02:31 AM.
TheArchitect52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:06 AM   #2
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
First off welcome to C5!

As for more power.....how big is your wallet? Spend a little time and search the forums for things others have done, and mistakes they have made. Its good to know what you what as your end result before you start spending money.

Things like, if your going to go forced induction vs naturally aspirated, and if your going turbo or supercharger. That will help you determine what mods you want to get for your car.

Basic bolt-ons are simple, CAI, headers, exhaust, ported TB, under drive pulley, throttle controller, cat delete or high flow cats. Also you can do a camshaft, and/or do the heads, if you are wanting more still. You can change the size of your throttle body and even install a aftermarket manifold, but to be honest the bigger TB and manifold are really not worth it unless your trying to squeeze every little last bit of hp from your car. I am not telling you what mods to do, just letting you know whats commonly done.

As for the shops, I am not familiar with your area, I know of Wongs performance in Vancover, that's about it. I would keep asking here on C5 for people to help you out with that. I am from the East coast. There are plenty of people on here that can help you out with a good recommendation for your area.

C5 is a great resource for information on Camaro's, information on what to do, and what not to do! Take the time and search every subject you want to inquire about. You'll find your answers, and if not you can always ask. Welcome to the club and get ready to spend some money.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
TheArchitect52

Thanks for the feedback @1killerSS The budget i selected is to spend no more than 10,000. Im looking to get about 550Hp to the wheels. I've looked at Hennessy Performance HPE600 Package but i feel like thats too much for so little. Ive heard of some shops in the Bay Area but like i said I'm new to all this i don't really know much about engines. Im doing some research on either to choose a TurboCharger or a Supercharger any suggestions on what i should begin with?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
el-guapin
Trust No One!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT/RS
Nice looking camaro. Welcome!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
For your budget a simple Supercharger might be best. If you get into headers and cats in California you likely will have a hard time getting emissions passed. Personally i'd avoid anything that will cause you to fail emissions inspections down the road.

I think most supercharger setups will get you that extra power you want.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect52 View Post
Thanks for the feedback @1killerSS The budget i selected is to spend no more than 10,000. Im looking to get about 550Hp to the wheels. I've looked at Hennessy Performance HPE600 Package but i feel like thats too much for so little. Ive heard of some shops in the Bay Area but like i said I'm new to all this i don't really know much about engines. Im doing some research on either to choose a TurboCharger or a Supercharger any suggestions on what i should begin with?
550 to the wheels can be done with a supercharger, cam, intake, headers, cats (porting the heads and intake manifold wouldnt hurt). Ported throttle body and pulleys will also squeeze out some more.

Is it an auto? Torque converter and new lifters if so. Plus a trans cooler.
Auto's are harder to get rwhp out of because of the additional loss thru the drivetrain (your 1/4 times will almost always be faster than a manual car with comparable HP though).

Keep in mind, with 550 to the wheels you will have your rear end and axles as the weak link, which you will most certainly have trouble with if you take it to the track. Ive seen the stock parts (and aftermarket ones) break with 500rwhp. But, if you dont run it really hard at the track and dont get racing slicks or drag radials for tires, you wont usually have enough traction to break anything anyway.

10 grand is a good budget. Are you mechanically inclined? Theres a lot of this you can do yourself. Tuning and specing the cam/springs/rods should be left to a pro, but you really can install all of this crap yourself.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Power is easy. 750-800rwhp in manual and 650-680rwhp in an auto with just a turbo kit ($7500-8000) is all it takes. That is the cheapest/easiest way to get there, and when you want more later, just add some supporting mods and turn up the boost. No need for cam, headers, heads, etc.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If your plan is 550 rwhp a small investment in the rear suspension to quell wheelhop will go a long ways towards reducing risk of much more expensive breakage from your drive line. I believe several of the vendors carry some kind of package that includes the most commonly recommended bits. Flexing and movement in the IRS when it hooks is what breaks things.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
TheArchitect52

@Vroomapunk I like your idea, unfortunately I can't install the parts myself because I'm a college student so i have no garage or place to conduct the work. I am however interested in the methods you suggested i feel thats where i should begin. But i feel like you do have a point on the rear end and axels breaking i have never been to a track and honestly don't plan on going i prefer street over track. Should i still be worried? if so what upgrade would best fit this situation.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Is it an L99 or LS3???
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Is it an L99 or LS3???
I'm assuming since he said semi-auto in the title it must be an L99.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #12
sinisterlsx510

Drives: 14 ss camaro summit white
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect52 View Post
Hello, Everyone My name is Erik I recently purchased a 2014 Camaro 1SS and have fell in love with my car, but recently i feel like I've been missing something i want to add more HP to my car to make it really fly. I currently live in the Bay Area and I'm looking to see if they're any trust worthy shops that could guide me through this process please keep in mind I'm new to all this.
Hit up jrg motorsports in hayward or synergy in livemore!
sinisterlsx510 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1ss, 2014, camaro, engine, horsepower